...cardboard filled steamed buns! :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html

Uppydate: (7/19/07) it was a HOAX!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/18/china.health.fake.reut/index.html

wombat2u2004
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
...cardboard filled steamed buns! :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html

Baozi (Char Siew Bao) is actually a favourite of mine. But I always buy them from a reputable source. I have heard that in China, anything goes into them.
A friend of mine bought a can of nuts one Xmas, the product came from China, and when he opened the can, all that was inside was a dirty glove.

Food for thought (maybe not food to eat !!!)
Wom

Blue_Frog
07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Yikes! :eek: :eek:

Talk about packing in the empty calories! ;)

joycenalex
07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
or giving the finger *snort*

RICHARD
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
No, this is a clear case of getting lost in the translation.

Eat Your Fiber.

Not

Eat your fiberboard or Eat the fiber in cardboard.

----------------

Does that count as recycling?

-------------

Hey!

Think of it this way....less toilet paper used!

-----------

Seriously,

If China is having problems feeding their people....too scary to think about.

-------

Soylent Green is people? the brown stuff is cardboard.

------

THIS TASTES LIKE CARDBOARD! :eek:

---------

"Dim Sum" nasty tasting dumplings!

-------

If they got the cardboard from the trash, would that make them REAL DUMPlings?

I'll be here all week, Please take care of your servers!

lizbud
07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I guess if you are hungry enough, you'd eat anything. None for me thanks.

moosmom
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
RICHARD,

THIS TASTES LIKE CARDBOARD!

You took my line!!!!

RICHARD
07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I guess if you are hungry enough, you'd eat anything. None for me thanks.

I hope that is based on KNOWING you are eating cardboard....The caustic soda ruins if for me.

---------

This reminds me of the time I was eating a sloppy burrito and came across the paper it was wrapped in....I wondered where the edges on the other side of the teeth marks went.

RICHARD
07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I was just watching a spanish language news report.

China is at it again!

Apparently, counterfeit ciggies are being made in China and sent to Panama.

The fake smokes have cow and rat crap in them. People are buying them because of the cheap prices-thinking they are buying real cigarettes.

In one interview with a street vendor, the seller stated that he didn't know where they came from, he just sold them.

Nice.

Giselle
07-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope this brings something to light: To the Western world, China looks like a looming competitor. The truth is that it's not.

It's taking a small percentage of cities and speeding them ahead while the rest of the country wallows in sorrowful neglect. I saw this in the televised Chinese news. The production of these buns take place in a very very poor rural neighborhood (literally, some random guy's home). China is really despicable sometimes.

wombat2u2004
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Flied lice anyone ????

K9karen
07-13-2007, 11:26 PM
gag.

Pam
07-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Karen, GAG is right!!

If they got the cardboard from the trash, would that make them REAL DUMPlings?

Oh Richard, for some reason this made me laugh out loud. Heaven help me I am really starting to enjoy your humor. :D :p :D :p

RICHARD
07-15-2007, 12:02 PM
My humor is an acquired taste...kinda like eating cardboard! ;)

CathyBogart
07-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Yuck!! :eek:

Giselle
07-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey guys, it's fake ;) I just saw it on the news. Some troublemaker made up the story himself. China's not ALL bad :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
07-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Hey guys, it's fake ;) I just saw it on the news. Some troublemaker made up the story himself. China's not ALL bad :rolleyes:

Ohh......it nawt twue ????

smokey the elder
07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm glad it's not true. I love stuffed steamed buns! I'll make sure I know their provenance, though! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Ohh......it nawt twue ????

Just my naffin' luck if it was true - guess where I'm going???

wombat2u2004
07-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Just my naffin' luck if it was true - guess where I'm going???

I know where your going Poppette !!!!
Haven't you seen all the jokes floating around here about dog and cat chow mein ????? Hahahahahaaaaaaaa
Wom

Lilith Cherry
07-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Don't worry honey, it is Southern China ( Guangdong) where I live that eat dog and cat. The Beijingers think they are dreadful to do that and stick to chicken feet and pig intestines and tails instead :p

wombat2u2004
07-20-2007, 02:26 AM
After a hearty meal, Denise opens her fortune cookie and reads the enclosed note.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/wombat2u2004/fortn.jpg

"Oh" says Denise " Is this true ?"
"I'll ask the waiter" replies Hubby.

To be continued.................

Catty1
07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/health_china_food_safety

Sat Jul 21, 1:53 PM

BEIJING (AFP) - Ordinary Chinese are refusing to believe government claims that a recent media report on cardboard-filled buns was a hoax aimed at hyping the nation's food safety woes, state press said Saturday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The government's assertion that the televised report was bogus is being viewed as an attempt by authorities to stem the bad publicity over a series of recent food safety scandals that have caused anger in China and abroad, the official Xinhua news agency said.

"I guess government departments must be hoping to reduce the negative impact on the public by declaring the TV news report a hoax," Xinhua quoted Chen Huiqin, a retired Shanghai middle school teacher, as saying.

A cab driver, surnamed Liu, said he could not believe the investigative news report aired by Beijing TV on July 8 was a fabrication.

"It's not just me, most of my customers didn't believe it was a hoax either," the report quoted Liu as saying.

The report generated wide national and international attention as the latest in a string of scares involving China-produced foods, including toxic seafood, virus-plagued pigs and chemical-laden toothpaste.

The "expose" purportedly showed a seller of the buns, known as "baozi," softening shredded cardboard with an industrial chemical and fortifying the bogus meat with a bit of fatty pork.

But following government inspections, the authorities concluded that the report was a hoax perpetrated by a temporary Beijing television station employee. Police have subsequently detained six people in connection with the case.

Earlier this month, China executed the former head of its food and drug safety watchdog for corruption, in what was widely seen as an attempt by the government to show it is serious about the problem.

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh ohhh !!! Food rallie's in China.
"We want cardboard"
"We want cradboard"
"When do we want it ?"
"Now!!!"