PDA

View Full Version : What to do with vacation time?

Uabassoon
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I just used up all of my vacation hours last month when I went to Washington DC to visit my sister. However I was recently promoted to a salaried job I received some prorated vacation hours, I now have 48 (6 days) hours to use by Oct 1st or I loose them. I don't know what to do with them! I can't really afford to take another vacation and neither can Alexa. Should I give myself a few extended weekends? See if my parents want me to visit them (they usually pay for my plane ticket)? Take a week off to lounge around at home? Make someone on PetTalk buy me a ticket to visit them? Any ideas on how to spend this time off?

Marigold2
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Well you have till Oct so I would save them for a rainy day and treat yourself to something like a day at the spa or just a quit weekend relaxing and having fun.

What ever makes you happy is really what you should do.

sirrahved
07-11-2007, 10:22 PM
If your parents are anything like my parents I bet they'd love a visit. If they're not up for footing the ticket, I'd split the days into two breaks. I don't know where you live, but I love days spent around your hometown, going to parks, museums, and attractions you never bother to see.

Also, roadsideamerica.com has GREAT stuff to see, usually cheap or free. A mini road trip is always lots of fun!

Kfamr
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Come to Florida! :p

Edwina's Secretary
07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I vote "visit your parents" with a part of it.

You don't get to do that forever!

slick
07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I vote for "visit the parents" too.

Cataholic
07-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I vote for "visit Johanna", personally.

moosmom
07-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I vote for visit the parents. I wish I could still do that. :(

Freedom
07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh goodness, you LIVE in Tucson, for heavens sakes! It is a huge TOURIST destination! Play tourist and do things in your area!

If you are like me -- and like most people -- you don't take advantage of the things RIGHT THERE too often, if at all. What do you think all of US are spending OUR vacation on?

Plan some day trips, or overnighters. Alone or with Alexa, depending on your shared interests. Check out the fairs and fetes, feasts and what not. If you are really stumped, log on to the Visitor Center site! Just have some good ole FUN! :D

cloverfdx
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Come to Florida!
If i had spare cash i would say come to Australia LOL :p.

A visit with your parents sounds lovely Laura, that or just enjoy some quiet time at home.

joycenalex
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
take a thursday, friday and monday, visit your folks. take the friday and tuesday around labor day, save one for a mental health day in august and eat ice cream, lay in bed and watch movies. ;)

Barbara
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh goodness, you LIVE in Tucson, for heavens sakes! It is a huge TOURIST destination! Play tourist and do things in your area!

I agree - go a little North, go hiking in the Sedona area. Visit some National Parks in the four corners region- I love all this so much :D

lizbud
07-12-2007, 05:02 PM
You could take one long weekend to visit the parents & still have a few
days to go off hiking in the mountains or even stay home & goof off. :)

Enjoy your vacation time.

RedHedd
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
take a thursday, friday and monday, visit your folks. take the friday and tuesday around labor day, save one for a mental health day in august and eat ice cream, lay in bed and watch movies. ;)
Now THAT sounds like a terrific plan! I just took a completely uncharted week off from work (I have TONS of vacation time) and did virtually nothing for a solid week .... well, I DID do SOME things, like went shopping, ordered new glasses, cleaned my apartment, painted my nails funky colors, celebrated the 4th of July and spent lots of time with Mishi, but you get the idea.

Visit your parents! You'll be glad you did when they're gone.

shais_mom
07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I vote for "visit Johanna", personally.
And Staci!

Uabassoon
07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the different suggestions. Mainly it just seems like a lot of unexpected time to use over a short time period since I wasn't planning on doing anything until winter (not that I'm complaining!). So I think I'm going to spend 5 days in Texas and visit my parents then take another 5 day minivacation and just enjoy putting around Tucson or maybe drive up to Flagstaff and enjoy the cooler weather!

Karen
07-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I think visiting your folks, and maybe starting a "family history" scrapbook, or an oral history project with them or any of the older generation could be fun!

dogzr#1
07-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Ohh where in Texas?! Sorry..just wondering because I live in Texas and all :o

Uabassoon
07-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Ohh where in Texas?! Sorry..just wondering because I live in Texas and all :o

My family is so far away from everyone! They all live in Brownsville, I lived there until I was 18 and moved to Arizona. It seems like everyone on PT is hours away from where my family lives.

smokey the elder
07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I take what I call "mental health" days, usually on Fridays! ;) :p

Barbara
07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I love the idea of a "mental health day" :D

dogzr#1
07-13-2007, 11:34 AM
My family is so far away from everyone! They all live in Brownsville, I lived there until I was 18 and moved to Arizona. It seems like everyone on PT is hours away from where my family lives.

Yeah I know what you mean. I live in Harlingen, like 30 miles away from Brownsville, and it seems like nobody knows where that is on the map. I doubt I'll be able to meet you or anything, but it's cool to know I'm close to a PTer!

CathyBogart
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Personally, I'd opt for the "stay home and relax" option!