PDA

View Full Version : Please meet Ben, my new boy

Logan
07-11-2007, 09:29 PM
You guys, I'm not going to go into the details, right now, but I will explain the whole story, later. I explained part of it in Dog Rescue, two days ago, so you can check there. But after we finally decided to look to adopt a rescue Golden Retriever girl, we ended up with a precious boy. He is here and this will be a tough night, with all the introductions. Helen and I "met" with Ben and his family on Monday and we knew it was the right thing to do. Scott and Helen had blessed adding to our family a few weeks ago, a little earlier than I had planned, but they realized that I needed that new addition and agreed to adopt a female through rescue. I just need another dog like Lilly, who is easy going and can provide me some of the companionship that I can't get with Honey or Mack for various reasons. I'm sorry that I haven't explained this situation before now, but I wanted to be sure it would work before I said anything.

What I can tell you is that Honey is fine. Butter (cat) is fine, and my hope is that Baby Mack (English Bulldog) will be fine, too, in time. Ben is here, so Mack had better get over any anxiety he has about a new addition. :p He was a bit "mouthy" about meeting Ben through the gate tonight, but he did ok. We have not been in the same room yet, but we can hold out on that for a few days, if necessary.

Ben is a 5+ (we think) Golden Retriever that we fostered in 2006, for a week, before he was adopted. No problems, then, and I hope that we won't have ongoing problems with him here, permanently. His family has a real life changing event going on and they asked if we would take him. I was really honored that they felt that comfortable with me. They formally turned him over to the rescue group tonight, but I was the one to pick him up, and if everything ends up ok, he will stay here as our forever boy.

I don't have pictures, right now, as I had to introduce him back into our home, wiithout assistance from Helen or Scott, who are both out of town tonight, 8 months after he was last here. I did a smart thing, though, and took Ben to McDonald's and got 3 plain hamburgers before I came home. The hamburgers helped a lot! LOL!!! Honey could care less about the new dog, just wanted her hamburger. Butter stood beside Ben and asked for his share, too. And Mack did his "sit" and "shake" for his burger, too. They had a few grumbles through the gate, but they were ok. I'm glad Ben let Mack know that he was not going to put up with his foolishness. I do need to take Ben out for his final "out" for the night, then bring in Honey and Mack, who are outside, now (and barking), but I think we are going to be ok.

He looks different now, but he has Lilly's coloring and he has her personality, too. God Bless Lilly........I think she has dumped this boy in my lap, right now. :)

Logan, Honey, Baby Mack, Butter and Ben

Bengalz
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
How wonderful for you and your family and of course, for Ben :D Please let me be the first to congratulate you :D and to welcome Ben to Pet Talk officially :D

Will wait patiently for pictures of his magnificent self! Enjoy your evening.

Betty

Kfamr
07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Woohoo! i'm sl glad you all decided to add Ben to your family.

For those who didn't see Ben in the rescue thread ~ here he is!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/IMG_1551.jpg

Welcome to Pet Talk sweet boy. I'm sure with time Mack will learn to love you. :D

Roxyluvsme13
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Congrats, Logan!

I can't wait to see more pictures of the gorgeous boy :D.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
CONGRATS! Hope intros go well for you and the family! :D

Edwina's Secretary
07-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Who wouldn't love that sweet boy!

Blessing on your head, Benny-boy...and if Butterball stood next to you...you must be a bit of all right!!!

(Get with the program Mr. Mack!!!)

Bengalz
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
What a doll Ben is :D Just look at that gorgeous smile! Little Mack just needs a little time to get over himself :p he'll be fine.

I agree with Sara ... if Butter says you're in Ben .... you are so in :D

jazzcat
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Congratulations Logan!

I hope you and sweet Ben have many years of happiness together. :)

I look forward to pictures.

captain
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I commented in the rescue thread, and will comment here ....

Whoooooo Hooooooooo :D

Congratulations!!! He looks like a real darling.

Logan
07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm still awake, but Mack has gone to sleep, thank goodness! :) I spent a lot of tonight with him so he wouldn't feel neglected. :p Ben is asleep at my feet, and Honey is behind me. I think Ben and Honey are going to be just fine, and to tell you the truth, perhaps was a good experience for Mack. He missed out on the companionship because he wouldn't cooperate the way he should have. But he didn't knock down the gate and he walked away, once we ignored him. With Helen's help, I will introduce them, face to face, tomorrow. Just didn't feel like it tonight.

I'm pooped as I know all of my furry ones are. Butter and Honey win the award for being the best host/hostess to a new friend. I am so proud of both of them!!!!! :) :)

Goodnight from all of us. I'm going to leave the radio on for Mack........Faith Hill is singing to him right now! ;)

Logan

K9karen
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
*Jumps up and down with joy*! YES! YES! YES! Benny Boy is BACK! Thank you sweet Honey girl and Mr Butter for welcoming your new brother so beautifully! Behave yourself, Mack-a-doodle! Be nice to your new brother! Can't wait for tons of pictures, Logan!!!

ChrisH
07-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Oh, that's wonderful Logan! :D What a gorgeous boy too, congratulations!

jenluckenbach
07-12-2007, 05:13 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am so happy for you. :) :)

Pam
07-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk Ben! We know you will make our Logan so happy and help fill up that missing piece of her heart. We look forward to getting to know you!

As for you Mackadoodle (great name Karen! :) ) please remember that once you were the 'new kid on the block.' Please mind your manners and give Ben a warm welcome. :p

Honey, we know that you probably have a nice warm feeling with another golden buddy by your side again. We just know that you and Ben will be fast friends.

Butter, I must admit that you are constantly surprising me. I guess you have seen so many comings and goings since your plopped yourself down in Logan's home that you have decided to go with the flow. We are all proud of you Butter Beans. :cool:

Logan of course I am thrilled for you. It will be hard to wait for photos but I will be patient. Of course Ben is one lucky pup to wind up in the best home in all the world. Congratulations to you all!

pitc9
07-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Yippee!!!

Congrats!!
Welcome to Pet Talk Ben!!

anna_66
07-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Oh Logan I am so happy for you I could cry!

I thought so much when I heard about Ben before that he would be staying...looks like he's come home:D

I'm glad things went well as can be expected with Mack (oh those silly bull headed boys :o ) and hope the intro face to face today goes good.

Thanks Kay for posting the picture, he is indeed a handsome man!

Once again let me say just how ecstatic I am for you! Welcome to PT Ben!

Christiansmommy
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
I am so happy for you Logan! That is just wonderful news!! He sounds like he has already fit right into your home and already in your heart! His names reminds me of that show with "Gentle Ben" in it....sounds like this Ben fits that description as well!!:) Congrats!!

Robyn

*awaiting pics!!*

moosmom
07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
He's beautiful!! How can you NOT love that face?

Congrats, Logan on your new addition.

gemini9961
07-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Congrats Logan, he's a handsome Golden boy. I love his name too, don't know why but I do. Mack and Ben......best buddies one day?? :o

Welcome to PT Ben!

Logan
07-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, we survived the night! LOL! Unfortunately, Helen didn't get home until midnight so she was not much help. But Mack settled down and went to sleep after a little loving from his mom and I took Honey and Ben back to my bedroom to sleep. Honey ended up going outside (her choice) and Ben got in the bed with me! :eek: I was so tired I didn't even stop him. He was on one side (with his head on Scott's pillow) and Butter was on the other side of me. I think I will not be telling Scott about that! Ha Ha! :p

This morning, Mack grumbled a bit less. Helen and I will introduce them this afternoon, face to face, if Mack is calm when I get home from work at lunchtime. Guess who is lying at my feet in the office right now? ;) Helen was still asleep when I left for work and I thought it better not to dump all that responsibility on her this morning. Tomorrow it is her responsibility, though, because I have to go out of town for a meeting.

I'll hopefully be able to get some pictures today. You won't believe it is the same dog when you see him. He has a beautiful coat now and has filled out beautifully (maybe a bit too much).

Logan

Rachel
07-12-2007, 08:44 AM
You already know how excited I am about the new addition . Ben is just too perfect to miss the opportunity for incorporating him into your family and your life. As for Mack, I'm thinking he hasn't accepted that you are Top Dog and he doesn't get to be that. Once he learns his place in the pack, he should be just fine and welcome having a buddy. I can't remember if he has been to obedience classes. Maybe the structure of formalized training would help him relate to other dogs in a less dominant manner.

Ben, you are going to have a great day today and every day.
Welcome home!

finn's mom
07-12-2007, 08:46 AM
He sure is a handsome chap. I think it's wonderful that you two have crossed paths. I can't wait to see more photos of him. Mack had better just be sweet or else. ;) Now, I have one more reason to come back to South Carolina! :D

mruffruff
07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm so glad Ben is back with you. I'm sure it was meant to be.

:D :D

lizbud
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
This is wonderful news. :) I'm so happy for you & for Ben. I love his
reddish coloring & he seems like such a sweetheart. I'll be checking back
for some newer pictures. I'll bet he's still gorgeous. :)

Muddy4paws
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Hes got a lovely big smile! :D

Pam
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
He was on one side (with his head on Scott's pillow) and Butter was on the other side of me. I think I will not be telling Scott about that! Ha Ha! :p
Logan

LOL! LOL! I'll never tell! :D Us girls have to keep secrets sometimes from the hubbies don't we? One morning Trevor threw up right in the middle of the kitchen table. Fortunately I was able to get it all cleaned up before hubby appeared in the kitchen for breakfast. LOL!

Can't wait for pictures!!!!!

Daisy and Delilah
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Great News!! Welcome to Pet Talk, Mr. Handsome Ben!! I hope all of the family will accept that sweet boy and this will be the bright light you all need in your lives after all that you've been through. I love him!! :)

Logan
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
First of all, Helen and I did the face to face, no gate, introduction with Mack and Ben this afternoon. They did GREAT!!!! In fact, we had a hard time getting them to even acknowledge each other! LOL!! We'll just take it a little at a time so no one gets overwhelmed, but I think everything is going to be just fine. Hallelujah! :D

I took a picture of Mack for you, but I was so embarassed about how dirty his face and ears are that I am not going to post it! :o Honey is snoozing on the kitchen floor. It is very, very hot here and we are all feeling it today.

Here is Ben a few minutes ago. He was looking up at Helen who was on the stairs.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/P7120013.jpg?t=1184272814

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/P7120014.jpg?t=1184273237

Rachel
07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I took a picture of Mack for you, but I was so embarassed about how dirty his face and ears are that I am not going to post it! :o

Like we haven't had a grubby dog now and then? And next to that beauty, Ben, I don't think that either of my dogs would fare well in comparison.

Thanks for the update, Logan. I couldn't be more pleased to know that all systems are go for this to work out well. A big high five to all fur kids. Now when does Helen get a kitty? ;)

Randi
07-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Aww Logan, what a sweet boy Ben is! He has the sweetest face, and I love his color. He will surely be a great friend to you all. :D

jazzcat
07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
He's such a handsome boy! He does look different from the first picture. You can tell his previous owners took good care.

I'm glad to hear things are going so well. How sweet that he slept with you. :D

sammy101
07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
He's very handsome!

Congratulations on the new addition! :)

Logan
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Like we haven't had a grubby dog now and then? And next to that beauty, Ben, I don't think that either of my dogs would fare well in comparison.

Thanks for the update, Logan. I couldn't be more pleased to know that all systems are go for this to work out well. A big high five to all fur kids. Now when does Helen get a kitty? ;)

RACHEL!!!!!! :eek: We are NOT going to talk about kittens if I have anything to do with it!!!!!! :p I would be willing to consider an adult cat, but I have absolutely no interest in a kitten or a puppy. Of course, if it were just Helen and me, I'd let her have one. ;)

Helen actually asked me, this afternoon, if I thought Ben would like to sleep in the bed with her. You know, that might be the answer to this whole bed thing. She has always wanted Honey to sleep with her, but Honey will not go up the stairs. Isn't that funny? Silly girl. Maybe it will be a win win situation for Ben, Helen and us. Butter sleeps with Scott and me, most nights, and doesn't cuddle the way Helen and Mimi always did. Even when he sleeps with her, he is close, but not touching her.

One of the happiest things that happened today is that Helen already adores Ben. She will be a big help with him as she is with the others. :) Now we just need to see how Scott reacts to Ben. I think he is going to love him. Ben is so much like Lilly and Zipper, already, and Scott had a very soft spot in his heart for both of them.

Logan

Cincy'sMom
07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I didn't get a chance to post onthe rescue thread, even though I read read there a few days ago, Ben was coming home!

Congrats on the new addition!! I'm glad he is fitting in well.

Sounds like he might help fill in a little of the whole in your heart. It does mean something tohave a dog you can do therapy work, and other special things with, but not all dogs can fit that role. Sounds like Ben will be great!

cassiesmom
07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
awwwwwee! Sweet!!

AdoreMyDogs
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh he's just adorable! Congrats, Logan :) I'm glad you have a new furangel to fill the void in your heart. I can't wait to see more pics of him :)

gemini9961
07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Awesome news to hear that the intro went pretty well. I think Ben seems quite content and seems to be fitting in nicely. Perhaps he remembers being there before? I think he should be Helen's bed buddy since he seems to feel comfortable there... :D

Freedom
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Ben is a very handsome addition to your family! What a sweet face. Hey Ben, welcome to PT!

Vermontcat
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Congratulations Logan, on the addition of Ben to your family! :D
I'm so happy that you have added another beautiful golden to your house again.
I'm happy to hear that introductions are going well, I can't wait to see more photos. :)

Ginger's Mom
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Congratulations Logan, and congratulations to Ben for finding such a great home. It sounds like everything is going to work out great. And he really does have a very cute face.

Roxyluvsme13
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
He's so handsome! I'm so glad everything is working out :).

K9karen
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Ben is one lucky boy to be in the Bagley household!!!

Does this mean my next dog will be named Logan #2??? :p :D

Sevaede
07-13-2007, 01:23 AM
WELCOME, BEN! :D

Giselle
07-13-2007, 02:27 AM
OH, that face just melts my heart! Congratulations and WELCOME Ben!!!

Cinder & Smoke
07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
:D

The Logan's Family FurrAngels must all be feeling very Pleased with themselves
after their newly assigned "fill-in" seems to be mixing right in.

One of the lesser known "advantages" of having multiple FurrAngels up on the Bridge -
more eyes to scan God's Heavenly News want ads to match Earthly Vacancies to
Furrever Pet job seekers.

I take it the Greenville, SC, Heart Dawg position is now filled?

Welcome HOME, Ben!

:D

Logan
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I take it the Greenville, SC, Heart Dawg position is now filled?

Yes sir! I believe it is filled!!!! Now I have 3 lovely puppers that all bring something different to me, all good. :) :) :) Something tells me that you are exactly right about those precious ones that are in heaven, working very hard to help their mom be happy. I miss them and long for them, but am constantly watching for signs of them in the ones that are here with us now.

Logan

K9soul
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
This is just wonderful Logan. I remember his sweet face from the thread in rescue, I was floored when I saw he was coming home with you to stay now! He sure seems to fit in well and I'm so very happy for you! :)