PDA

View Full Version : Strange question?

angelbow20
07-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Thsi might sound weird but now im kinda wondering and it kinda scares me. Ok here goes, I was looking at resessive and dominant genes and well I have BROWN EYES AND HAIR thats dominant My son Has BLUE EYES AND LIGHT BLONDE HAIR thats resessive. I have thin lips and thats Res. my son also has thin lips , same with the hair style and ears. Everything he has is the ressisive gene so my question is does that mean he is a carrier of some disease? I dont know how to make sense with this, I just dont understand how he doesnt carry any of the more Dominant genes over the resessive genes and usaully Dominant genes are stronger than resessive. If anyone could explain this whole gene thing to me and let me know if thats normal I would be very thankful.

columbine
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Thsi might sound weird but now im kinda wondering and it kinda scares me. Ok here goes, I was looking at resessive and dominant genes and well I have BROWN EYES AND HAIR thats dominant My son Has BLUE EYES AND LIGHT BLONDE HAIR thats resessive. I have thin lips and thats Res. my son also has thin lips , same with the hair style and ears. Everything he has is the ressisive gene so my question is does that mean he is a carrier of some disease? I dont know how to make sense with this, I just dont understand how he doesnt carry any of the more Dominant genes over the resessive genes and usaully Dominant genes are stronger than resessive. If anyone could explain this whole gene thing to me and let me know if thats normal I would be very thankful.All "recessive" means is "needs to come from both parents to show up." It doesn't have anything to do with hereditary diseases. Recessive traits can skip generations, because the "in between" parent only got it from one parent, but their child got it from both.

Love, Columbine

sparks19
07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
My brother and his wife both have dark hair and brown eyes and all four of their kids have red or blonde hair and 3 of them have blue eyes.... these are all genes that the grandparents have but not their parents. but like Columbine said it does not have anything to do with diseases or anything like that.

Karen
07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
There's nothing to be worried about. Every child gets a gene for eye color from each parent. You obviously have the blue-eye gene as one of yours, but because brown is dominant, the brown shows up for you. Your son got your recessive blue gene and a blue gene from his father as well.

I remember the chart from biology class:
B=brown gene
b=blue gene

B b
B b

Each parent has two genes. If they both have brown eyes with a recessive blue gene (Bb), you have a one in four chance of a blue-eyed child. If one parent has blue eyes, and the other brown with a blue recessive gene, you have a 3 in 4 chance.

Often the brown is only "partially dominant," and so a child will end up with light brown eyes - also called hazel or green. You KNOW that person has a blue and a brown gene.

Both my grandfathers had blue eyes, so even through my mothers eyes were very dark brown, she obviously has a recessive blue gene. Dad's eyes are hazel/funny colored we call 'em. And sure enough, just like the chart we drew in biology class, they ended up with four children - two with very dark brown eyes, one with partially dominant brown - so hazel eyes, and one - me - with blue eyes.

Recessive blue eyes has no connection to diseases caused by recessive genes. Genetics is much more complicated than that, and science is learning more every day.

angelbow20
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow thanks so much guys I understand it much better now! My dad does have blue eyes as well as his whole family and my moms whole side has brown so that and his dads family are blue eyed so thats why Aiden has blue eyes.. I love learning about genes and traits its so neat how things work out. science is such an amazing thing to learn about :) .

sirrahved
07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
To complicate things even more, as many as 8 genes are responsible for eye color. This is how we have pale blue eyes, to almost black, and everything in between.

My husband has blonde hair and blue eyes. His brother has blonde hair and hazel eyes. His sister has brown hair and brown eyes. All three are completely strange in every way, but genetically disease-free!

angelbow20
07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah Aiden has pale baby blue eyes and very blonde hair. I have really dark hair and cant think of who in my family has or had blonde hair but now know that someone does because I obviously carry it in my genes. Same goes as freckles I have alot of freckles as does my dad but my mom sister and my son dont has a single freckle anywhere.

Sirrahsim
07-12-2007, 07:43 AM
All three are completely strange in every way

Hey!! I resemble that remark! :p :p

Your son is just fine Angelbow :) My husband is brown haired and blue eyed while I am brown haired and brown eyed and our oldest son is practically a blonde with chocolaty brown eyes. The area of genetics is a very interesting field when you get into it :)