PDA

View Full Version : Question about a book

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Sparks19 started talking about books and there's one book that I really want to read but it's such a short book I don't really want to buy it, nor do I have to money to. The Library here is pretty crappy and they don't have it available, at least not when I checked. If anyone in the USA (cheaper postage) that knows and trusts me who might have a copy of "Marley & Me" they'd consider loaning out to me I'd really like to read that book. I only want someone that trusts me because I don't want anyone to worry about their book.

I have participated in book swaps before with PT'ers, but it's been years and years. It went well and it was fun :) I read a few new books that I really enjoyed. Just an idea. I used to be able to go out and buy books that looked good, but now money is so tight I can't do that anymore. I recently got a gift certificate for amazon.com, but I spent every penny on books for Quinn, which, to me, is more important and gratifying then books for myself.

Just a thought. If you have the copy and really don't mind loaning it out to myself, I would really like that and I promise to take excellent care of it. I hope I've not gone too far by asking to borrow it from someone here :eek:

Karen
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Have you checked the local library? It's such a popular book, they should have multiple copies (in my humble opinion).

Also, if someone is mailing a book, remember that "media mail" - which used to be known as "book rate" will save you some money on mailing it.

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Have you checked the local library? It's such a popular book, they should have multiple copies (in my humble opinion).

Also, if someone is mailing a book, remember that "media mail" - which used to be known as "book rate" will save you some money on mailing it.

I've only been to the library once, but this is a very small, boring town and they didn't have any copies of it available when I checked. It's been about a year since I checked, but the library here kind of made me depressed. I miss my library back home :( I was surprised they didn't have the book, too. I have been wishing someone in my family bought the book so I could borrow it but no one has, blah. My family are all dog loving people, too, so it's extra dissapointing no one's bought it hehe. I'll check the library again if I'm not able to find a copy to borrow.

Shelteez2
07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a copy that I'd be willing to lend. I am in Canada though, so I suppose I'll be your last option if no one in the USA can. Do you have a used book store in your town? Might be worth a check there to see if they have it.

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I have a copy that I'd be willing to lend. I am in Canada though, so I suppose I'll be your last option if no one in the USA can. Do you have a used book store in your town? Might be worth a check there to see if they have it.

I'm not sure. I've not explored the town much. I know there's a bargain book shop, but the books aren't much cheaper then they are elsewhere. Thanks, if no one in the USA can loan it out I'll PM you :)

crow_noir
07-11-2007, 01:45 AM
It took me less than a minute to find this... Click Here (http://ipac.wfpl.net/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1184J36HU5104.43635&profile=wfplfull&uri=link=3100007~!425907~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=subtab146&menu=search&ri=1&source=~!horizon&term=Marley+%26+me+%3A+life+and+love+with+the+worl d%27s+worst+dog+%2F&index=ALLTI)

If your current location listed on PT is correct your library has TWO copies of "Marley & me"

You might have to wait a little while for it to be back in though. You could place a hold on it, or ask to see if your local library does interloans (works in cooperation with other libraries.)

Edit: Yes they do interloans (http://www.wfpl.net/ILL.htm) .

Library Policies (http://www.wfpl.net/libpolicies.htm)

Cookiebaker
07-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Leslie, I will PM you :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I ordered a copy of the same book on Monday from Amazon for the grand price of £1.99!

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2007, 06:14 AM
It took me less than a minute to find this... Click Here (http://ipac.wfpl.net/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1184J36HU5104.43635&profile=wfplfull&uri=link=3100007~!425907~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=subtab146&menu=search&ri=1&source=~!horizon&term=Marley+%26+me+%3A+life+and+love+with+the+worl d%27s+worst+dog+%2F&index=ALLTI)

If your current location listed on PT is correct your library has TWO copies of "Marley & me"

You might have to wait a little while for it to be back in though. You could place a hold on it, or ask to see if your local library does interloans (works in cooperation with other libraries.)

Edit: Yes they do interloans (http://www.wfpl.net/ILL.htm) .

Library Policies (http://www.wfpl.net/libpolicies.htm)

Wow this is an excellent resource! No wonder they didn't have any to check out when I checked last, they only have 2 copies available!! :eek:

Thanks a bunch for this :) It's handy and I didn't even think about the library having info available online. :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Leslie, I will PM you :)

Yay, thank you, Anna :D I'm gonna get it loaned to me by Anna, thanks for all who replied :) I feel very weird asking to borrow it, but I really want to read it!

Marigold2
07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
You can get any book from your local library. All you have to do is request a copy and they will ship it in from another library. Takes acouple of days but no book is ever off limits. They can get anything.

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
You can get any book from your local library. All you have to do is request a copy and they will ship it in from another library. Takes acouple of days but no book is ever off limits. They can get anything.

Not sure about small towns, though. This is a small, boring town. There is only one library. The closest big city is almost 2 hours away (DFW). I'll have to ask them what their policy is on that when I go next. I really miss my hometown...can ya tell I hate this town? :)

Cookiebaker
07-11-2007, 01:53 PM
its on its way! :D Please forgive the shape of the box. When I got to the PO, the lady wanted to save me some shipping costs, and put it in a different box. :confused: Anyway, I said OK, meanwhile trying to think how I was gonna transfer the contents while juggling Lydia on my hip, and transferring the label etc etc. So she offered to do it for me since they weren't busy, which I appreciated. But she just kinda slapped the box together, and it was all poofy on one end. But as long as it gets to you, I don't really care that much. I hope you enjoy your package!!!! ;) :)

Logan
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm glad you're sending it to Leslie, Anna. I was getting ready to send her a PM and offer to lend her my copy (which I still have not read :o ). I just am not ready to read it, frankly. Leslie, what you must promise is a book review for us! Knowing that you have experienced loss, not so long ago, with Graham, it will help me know whether I should read it or not!

jennielynn1970
07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Just a word about public libraries... I don't know how many states are, but here in PA the state had cut funding on all public libraries and many cities were left to pick up the slack and when our last tax notices came out, it said on there that they raised the taxes by so many mils and also told how many of those mils were going to the Public Library.

The public libraries are really under funded in our state. Many were cutting their hours, shutting down the smaller satellite sites and only using their main buidlings, and letting go of employees. Many will accept volunteers, because at this point they can't afford to hire, and with the inability to hire also comes the inability to have enough funds to order new books.

It's the same with the public schools' libraries. This past school year I had NO BUDGET for books. None. After our superintendent fussed about getting his 12.5% raise (he wouldn't approve anything until he got his raise), he then froze the entire budget and told the principals and all the rest of the buildings that there wasn't enough money to pay all the raises for the administrators and so there was a moratorium on hiring teachers, and no books or materials could be ordered.

That shows how important the man running the district thinks he really is. If he knew the budget couldn't handle his raise, and the other administrators underneath him, he should have taken either a smaller raise, or turned it down, and then allowed the schools to order their books and supplies.

So, for a school of 1300 children, we received no new library books. No textbooks (our history and geography and science books are dated into the 1970s and 1980s). And we don't have Math books. None!!!

When my principal asked why my collection was so old, I just looked at him and said "well, when we don't receive any money, it's hard to update it." I don't know if he thinks I'm going to spend $10,000 dollars of my own every year to buy books, but he needs his head examined if he does! The average age of my fiction collection was about 1971 (computer analysis). I've since discarded a ton of books, so that should bring up the age of the collection to the 80's hopefully, but our non-fiction collection is still in then 1960s.

It all goes back to taxes. We hate to see them raised, but without the raising of taxes, you won't see additions to many things being added because without that extra revenue these places just can't afford to keep running the way they properly should.

Check the copyright date of some of your children's school books (classroom books)... you'd be amazed at the age.

Cinder & Smoke
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Not sure about small towns, though.
This is a small, boring town.
There is only one library...

:confused:

Maybe you need to take a drive around town ...
The Library web site says:
* Population of Wichita Falls, Texas = over 100,000 folks
* Paid City Firefighters man EIGHT Fire Stations

That makes it sound like Wichita Falls is a smidge bigger than a lil Texas Cow Town!

Do a little *exploring* -
you might find there's some *Phunn Stuff* in Town waiting to be discovered.

;)

sirrahbed
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Leslie - for future reference, the website of your public library says it offers Interlibrary Loans (ILL). I use ILL quite often at our little community library and it is a great service. I suspect that lots of folks are not aware of it. It's easy too - just ask the librarian there and she will give you the request form. Just fill it out and turn it in. Some books are found within days and other times it may take weeks but only if the book is hard to find. Over the years, I have never requested a book that could not be loaned out...I have not used it to get books that are checked out from my library - but rather for pretty much any book in print that is not available there at your branch. They get them from schools, universities, other libraries large and small. (whatever networks are available to them) The Wichita Falls site says they charge $2 per book for postage (free here but maybe Ohio has better funding)

Anyway - I thought you might like to know about this and maybe try it out sometime. I absolutely LOVE public libraries - probably because I used to work in one when I was in college. The library is probably my very favorite place to hide out and has been since I was a girl. Would you try it out? Eventually you may enjoy bringing Quinn for story hours, etc.

I am very happy to read that cookiebaker had the book you were wanting and already has it in the mail. ILL would likely have taken much longer. Enjoy reading! The book sounds like a good one :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2007, 09:40 PM
:confused:

Maybe you need to take a drive around town ...
The Library web site says:
* Population of Wichita Falls, Texas = over 100,000 folks
* Paid City Firefighters man EIGHT Fire Stations

That makes it sound like Wichita Falls is a smidge bigger than a lil Texas Cow Town!

Do a little *exploring* -
you might find there's some *Phunn Stuff* in Town waiting to be discovered.

;)

This is a large sized city with absolutely nothing going on except an air force base. In this town I run into at least 2 people I know every single time I go to Walmart. In this town it's hard to go anywhere without running into people I know (and I've only been here 2 years, I really don't know THAT many people). This IS a small town. It may have lots of numbers of citizens, but its only because of the air force base, and it's a big sized city with people spread out far. Trust me, it's a 'small town' :) Not the kind of town that you blink and miss it, but the kind of town that you pass threw and not one thing catches your eye. Blah, maybe another trip to the library is in order, but it just made me so depressed last time I was there. It's ugly, poorly laid out, and it was a ghost town in the library also, which may be why it was so depressing. Just no one was there :( I used to love to hang out in the library when I was a teen before I had a car or a computer. I would go and read and people watch and just chill and have a great time. There were just a few older people there, no teens, no small children with their mothers. I hope that by the time Quinn is old enough to go to book readings at the library (they do have these though), the library is a more interesting place and she'll enjoy it.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off subject. I just miss home hehe. Sometimes I get home-sick, especially when the subject of the library is brought up. I do miss it back home, and not trying to sound like a snob or anything, but it seems like there was a much stronger emphasis on education back in MI. Heck, maybe we'll move to a nicer city by the time Quinn is ready for school. Austin is one of the top rated cities for both education and jobs. Ok I'll stop babbeling now.

crow_noir
07-11-2007, 11:55 PM
No problem. I'm an information internet junkie. Since i really don't drive and i don't live near a library anymore the internet has become my playground. (anyway the library that i used to live near shut down... budget cuts.) I also used to know many of the librarian codes for their index (since i was one of their best regulars and could be trusted with the codes.) When i moved i forgot the codes and found i could look up stuff on their websites just about as fast. (minus the AWESOME computerized catalog they used to have. ...It was only one computer and i think it was done away with after the new system was implemented. Identical to the one you seen. The old one was just black and green, but it could find just about anything.)

Man, this is the thread for rambling. :rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch for this

Pawsitive Thinking
07-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Read my copy in two nights flat! Wow! What a fantastic book! Dontcha just love that big guy!

AdoreMyDogs
07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Anna, I wanted to thank you for the adorable, fun package you sent me :) I recieved the book I asked to borrow, as well as a cute toy for Quinn, some doggie treats for the doggers, and a cute little picture frame :) It was just so much fun and so cute! The dogs absolutely love the snacks, I can always tell when a snack is good because it's chewed as little as possible before it's swallowed :)

Now on to the book report. It was a wonderful book! It was a very quick read, finished it 3 days after starting it. I love the way John Grogan writes. I laughed and I cried...a lot. After the book, I gave both dogs a huge hug and told them how much I loved them. It's just such a good book written by a great author.

Anna I will have it out in the mail within a week. As soon as Ricky gets paid we'll have it right out to you. Thanks again for everything :)

Daisy and Delilah
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Leslie, please come to my library that I work at and visit us. If I say so myself.....it's spectacular!!!!!! It's the library you long for :)

Of course we have some not so great things going on at times but all in all, it's fabulous. When you're in Florida, bring Quinn, I guarantee you'll both love it. I'll personally give you the red carpet treatment. :)