PDA

View Full Version : Man bites Pit Bull to save his Husky

ramanth
07-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Man enters dogfight headfirst

New Yorker defends his dog against pit bull and finds himself in middle of the melee.

By Elissa Gootman

New York Times

July 21, 2002

SOUTH HUNTINGTON, N.Y. -- A Long Island man said he defended his dog against a pit bull here this month by sinking his teeth into its head -- a reaction that turned a routine dogfight into a high-profile case of canine justice.

A television reporter referred darkly to the animal shelter's isolation room where the pit bull is being held as "death row." A radio announcer made jokes about the dog-biter's license plate, which reads NOLEASH, but which the man says refers to his bachelorhood, not his recovering pet.

Now the pit bull, Dutch, is scheduled to be put to death, and a lawyer for its owners says that the publicity surrounding the case has stacked the deck against the dog.

"Any time that the public is made aware of an incident, it's going to put pressure on the Police Department to act in some form," said Michael J. Brown, a lawyer for Dutch's owners, Mary Graham and her son, Michael Marano. "The public has this perception that pit bulls are just mean, nasty animals. There are standard poodles who are nasty. There are Labrador retrievers who are nasty."

The trouble started July 13, when Richard Robbins, 44, Melville, N.Y., took his three dogs for a walk in a field near a school at the same time Graham took her three pit bulls there. The police said Graham's dogs were unleashed, and that one, Dutch, lunged at Robbins' Siberian husky, Gina Marie.

Robbins said that to save his dog, he bit Dutch, which then let go of Gina Marie and attacked Robbins. At that point, the police said, another of Graham's pit bulls, Eve, also attacked Robbins.

Robbins said he was bitten on his face, head and arms, and that his dog needed more than 100 stitches.

Graham's lawyer counters that her dogs were on leashes and that Robbins should have known better than to stick his face into a dogfight. "This gentleman injured himself by putting his head between two fighting dogs," Brown said.

The authorities say Dutch's fate is his owners' fault and that Marano signed a form after the fight authorizing Huntington's town animal shelter to put the dog to death. Brown is seeking a hearing on the matter, saying Marano did not realize what he was signing.

Puffin83
07-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Sheesh:eek:

Puffin83
07-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Society these days...:rolleyes:

mugsy
07-22-2002, 01:04 PM
If the dogs were on leashes the police would have seen leashes and the dogs need to be on leashes, regardless of what breed they are. Graham and Marano are just stupid pet owners. My question to them is...why did your attack another dog? Pit Bulls are NOT bad dogs...they're just attractions for some REALLY moronic people. Pit Bulls who are raised in loving homes and socialized well (as with any dog) are NOT mean and WON'T attack other dogs. I'm not sure I would have bitten the dog, but I wouldn't have sat back and watched my dog get attacked and not do anything. I feel sorry for Dutch...he has to pay with his life for having an idiotic owner.

CountryWolf07
07-23-2002, 12:09 AM
:eek: Woah.. is all I got to say about this. - Rach

Dixie Belle
07-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I couldn't say it better myself mugsy.