PDA

View Full Version : Walkies and talkies

Pawsitive Thinking
07-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Do you chat to your dog(s) when you are walking them? I only ask because a bemused toddler asked his Mum "Mummy, who is that lady talking to?" when I went by last night chatting merrily away to Tobey and Archie :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I talk to Bear all of the time....and do you know what ??? I swear....he understands me.
Wom

K9karen
07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I talk to Bear all of the time....and do you know what ??? I swear....he understands me.
Wom
Yep! Same here, with Mz Klo. Of course she understands (when she wants to!) :D

cyber-sibes
07-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Of course, who else would I be talking to? ;)

BC_MoM
07-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow, I can't imagine not talking to my dogs! lol :D

KittyGurl
07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I always talk to Duke when I take him out for a walk. I say "good boy" and some commands. Sometimes he gets really happy when he sees other dogs (but he usually scares them away) so I talk to him to calm him down. Talking to a dog is normal. Most people do it while others don't.
I was walking down the block with my neighbors dog, Lady, and I was talking to her. A kid said "Why are you talking to a dog. They don't understand you!"
Well, I think they do cause whenever you feel sad and talk to the dogs, they seem to listen to you. So yes, I do talk to Duke and other dogs while taking them for a walk.

HorseDreamer101
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I always talk to my dog Lad and Max about evertything and the best part is them can never tell anyone eles :D

JenBKR
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Of course I talk to Roscoe during walks. And yes he understand me. I guess that makes us both nuts ;)

Freedom
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Yup, I do talk to them. Chatter and commands and "look at the squirrel" and all sorts of stuff. They understand me I know that They ignore all the commands and chase the squirrel. :rolleyes:

Jadapit
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Oh yes, I talk to my dogs when we walk, I talk to them at the ball field, I talk to them at home. I wonder if they ever get tired of hearing me talk? ;)

I often wonder what people are thinking when I'm walking the dogs and they see me talking. Lol.

Cinder & Smoke
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Of course, who else would I be talking to? ;)

:D
Guilty, as suspected! ;)

I (usually) try to tone down the idle chit-chat with the FurKids if I see someone
approaching us on a hike ... but there's times when "we're" having such an enlightening
"conversation" that I miss seeing an approaching 2-Legger ... Oooopsie! :o

I've been given "The LOOK" when we're out & about in da Bus, too.
Drivin along, *YAPPIN* my fool head off, with a Dawg Head or two or three
poking up behind me ... "OMG! Who's that nut-case TALKING to!?"

I'm considering getting an In-your-Ear cell phone headset ... not to really USE with the phone;
but to wear when I'm with the Dawgs ...
If caught *YAPPIN* to "no one in sight" ~~~ I'll just point to the headset!

:p

RobiLee
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Of course I talk to my dogs! I talk to them at home, in the car and on our walks. They are great listeners and understand me well ;)

luvofallhorses
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
all the time and my kitties, too! :D

Whisk_Luva
07-10-2007, 11:52 AM
When I go out and walk or bump into my mums friends dog Lucy I always speak to her :)

luvofallhorses
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
also a lot of the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer LOVE to be talked to and I talk to them all the time. :) I even talk to the ones who could care less what you're saying. ;)

nancyweNW
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm ALWAYS talking to my dog.

chocolatepuppy
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Always talking to the dogs and kittys, I even talk to my fish. ;)

IRescue452
07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, not actual conversation, but phrases she knows like...
"Ok" or "let's go"- trying to get her to walk faster
"heel"- usually when around a crowd
"slow down"- my feet hurt darnnit
"place"- point at anybody you see
"who's that?"- getting her to be watchful of somebody nearby
"aren't you forgetting something"- if she forgets to sit at the corner
"go see"- means we are stopping at a familiar dog friend's house
"where"- Autumn's choice which way to go
"leave it"- eww whatever that is it's dead

and many many more. Usually I'm going on the whole walk.

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
also a lot of the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer LOVE to be talked to and I talk to them all the time. :) I even talk to the ones who could care less what you're saying. ;)

All the time. They usually understand, too, unless I start to discuss quantum physics.

crow_noir
07-11-2007, 12:08 AM
You don't have an option for "Sometimes"

I do, but i don't like talking to begin with and am actually a very quiet person outside of typing.

I chatted more with King than i do with Koli. ... But King was my best friend (EVER and ever will be) and i just consider Koli a foster dog. I really don't have much to talk to her about. She's started most of the conversations between us. (She's finally just now after nine months getting me to open up to her and accept her for who she is.)

Sometimes i have something to say, other times it's just the commands.

Do you chat to your dog(s) when you are walking them? I only ask because a bemused toddler asked his Mum "Mummy, who is that lady talking to?" when I went by last night chatting merrily away to Tobey and Archie

CathyBogart
07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I keep up a steady stream of conversation with Jasper while we're out walking. People must think I'm out of my head. :)

Glacier
07-11-2007, 01:16 AM
I talk to them alot when we are out for a hike. Not really a conversation, but I try to make some noise regularly---it's good bear protection. If a bear hears us coming, he is much more likely to keep his presence hidden!

On the sled, I speak only to give commands and the occasional bit of praise. If you talk too much to a working sled dog, they stop listening--which can be a problem when you need a response to a command!

nancyweNW
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh, only all the time.

Rachel
07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, I talk to my dogs on walks and in the house. I frequently ask them questions too. Somehow the answers come subliminally. I'm also inclined to talk with any dog I meet up with. I must be too old to care if their person thinks it odd.

cali
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, not actual conversation, but phrases she knows like...
"Ok" or "let's go"- trying to get her to walk faster
"heel"- usually when around a crowd
"slow down"- my feet hurt darnnit
"place"- point at anybody you see
"who's that?"- getting her to be watchful of somebody nearby
"aren't you forgetting something"- if she forgets to sit at the corner
"go see"- means we are stopping at a familiar dog friend's house
"where"- Autumn's choice which way to go
"leave it"- eww whatever that is it's dead

and many many more. Usually I'm going on the whole walk.

I second this one, I dont have conversations with my dogs, but I am usally talking to them almost the whole time, using the same kind of commands as above.

ratdogg
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
i dont walk my dog as often as i should...but at work I ALWAYS talk to the doggies. Its silly but I think they like the sound and tone of the words.