PDA

View Full Version : Books from when you were a kid

sparks19
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
what books did you love from your childhood? Like maybe books that your parents read to you that you particularly liked or books you liked to read on your own?

I got thinking about this the other day because while we were at the grocery store we saw "The Little Golden Books". anyone remember these? The Poky Little Puppy, The good Humor man etc etc. My most memorable LGB and also just happened to be available at the store is "The Monster At the End of This Book." Featuring Grover as the monster at the end of the book :D I loved that book when I was a kid. We bought it :D

Some more favourites of mine are "Morris has a cold" "No Elephants" and Dr Suess's "Fox in Socks" that was a favourite because it was a tongue twister book and I loved to make my mom read it to me and hear her goof up.

Those books are available online and I will be buying them to read to my little one too. I just love finding books that I loved as a child.

Glacier
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I had tons of little golden books. I gave most of them to my nieces a few years ago. I kept Puff the Magic Dragon. I remember my Mom buying it for me and reading it to me repeatedly while I was in the hospital waiting for surgery to fix my shattered elbow.

I had all the Dr. Seuss books and a collection of books from my mother's childhood that I still have.

My Mom is a reader and we always had lots of books around. I read alot and have stacks of books all around the house.

Alysser
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I also enjoyed the Pokey little puppy and Goodnight Moon. I also liked these books called "Biscuit" about a little boy and his puppy, but after awhile it annoyed me because it was so repeative. I really liked the Magic Treehouse books too, when I started reading chapter books.

dukedogsmom
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
My most favorite was Little Black Sambo. I must have read that so many times. I still have it. Wish I hadn't drawn mustaches on the people. It would probably be worth a lot of money now. Another one was the Littlest Angel. And of course, the Winnie the Pooh books.
This is the one I have! They're asking $75 without the mustaches :D
http://www.tias.com/277/PictPage/1922520117.html

Freedom
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Pokey Little Puppy! I thought of it when I saw your title, even before I opened the thread! He he he.

I had lots of Little Golden Books as well. They are all in a closet up at Dad's house. They are quite different from the ones sold today; and probably worth more than the 15 cents marked on the covers!

Pam
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
This book was not my childhood book but was given to my daughter by her aunt when my daughter broke her arm (over 20 years ago! :eek: ). For anyone who loves animals (especially mice and cats) this will be a lifelong favorite.
http://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Be-Free-Joyce-Warren/dp/0913604003/ref=sr_1_1/002-3957539-7662420?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184029144&sr=1-1

angelbow20
07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh wow I had so many... One I liked was "Theres an alligator under my bed" "green eggs and ham" So many more I wish I could remember them but I cant right now... There was one with the cookies and a cookie jar it also might have had alittle mouse in it? I cant remember but I always thought it was a cute book.

dukedogsmom
07-09-2007, 08:08 PM
And one of my favorite kids books as an adult is the Velveteen Rabbit.

AdoreMyDogs
07-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Favorites as a kid:
1) The Story Of Ferdinand - Munro Leaf
2) The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein
3) Old Turtle - Douglas Wood

These 3 books I also gave to Quinn because they were so special to me. One of my favorite new books that I bought for Quinn is called "On The Day You Were Born" by Debra Frasier. It's a book that I hope she will appreciate when she gets older, and even pass down to her children if she so desires.

sparks19
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah I had tons of books.... all the Dr Suess books, the berenstein bears collection, Robert Munch (sp? anyone remember him) Richard scarry's books etc etc.... but alas they were all given to my nephew and neice when they were young since kids for me were SO far off at that point.

I should ask if by chance they might have saved any of my books but I doubt they did. But I can find most of them online for decent prices anyway so at least I can still get them to read to my little one.

I think it's something really special when the parent enjoys reading the book to the child just as much as the child likes to hear it. All that reading my mom did for me when I was young (even after I could read she would still read me bedtime stories because I enjoyed her readings so much) it really sparked my love of books that I still have today.

Suki Wingy
07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
The Saggy Baggy Elephant ;) :D
Poky little Puppy
and when I was a bit older I read the animal ark series.

Blue_Frog
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
My Favs = The Hungry Caterpillar, Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon and The Paperbag Princess. I know there were lots more, I think my mom still has all the books from when we were small (still waiting on the non-appearing grandkids ;))

sparks19
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
My Favs = The Hungry Caterpillar, Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon and The Paperbag Princess. I know there were lots more, I think my mom still has all the books from when we were small (still waiting on the non-appearing grandkids ;))

The Paper Bag Princess is a Robert Munsch book :D I love all of his books :D

and how could I forget the hungry caterpillar.... and along those same lines was "Brown Bear Brown Bear what do you see?"

RobiLee
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
My favorite is "Charlotte's Web". Love it!

Another favorite is "Treasure Island". I don't really remember much about the book. It is a favorite because when I was little my daddy would read a chapter or two to me at bedtime and I couldn't wait to hear what was going to happen next. It was such a magical time and also left me with a feeling of being loved and safe.

It is hard to find that feeling now. Thanks for bringing up a wonderful memory for me! I'm going to have to hang on to that for awhile.

zippy-kat
07-09-2007, 10:40 PM
The Mother Westwind series
The Serendipity series (esp. Mumkin, & Leo the Lop)
Beatrix Potter
Bag Dad Ate It
The Mr. Men and Little Miss series
Pinkerton (and any other Stephen Kellog book)
The Cora Cow series
Bare Bear
Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
A Mouse in Time's Square
Kilroy and the Gull
any book by Dick King-Smith

wow! I could go on and on and on...

buckner
07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
My favorite books as a child were definitely the entire Sweet Pickles series.
They were so much fun to read, especially with my dad. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Pickles

sparks19
07-09-2007, 10:46 PM
My favorite is "Charlotte's Web". Love it!

I love that book as well.....

I actually re read it just a couple years ago just for fun and to bring back all those memories.

KittyGurl
07-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I loved "The Little Snow Bear." That is was my favorite book ever. It is so sweet. I also liked "The Shy Little Kitten." That book was cute too :)

JenBKR
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
My favorite when I was little was 'The Diggingest Dog.' I always felt so bad for the dog when he got in trouble for all that digging, but I was so happy when he saved the day ;)

When I got older, I got hooked on the 'Anne of Green Gables' series. I still love those books (and the movies) today.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
My favorite book was a book called "My Icky Picky Sister". It's now out of print, but I've been casually looking for it for a few years.

I also LOVED nursery rhymes.

Cataholic
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Favorites as a kid:
1) The Story Of Ferdinand - Munro Leaf
2) The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein
3) Old Turtle - Douglas Wood

These 3 books I also gave to Quinn because they were so special to me. One of my favorite new books that I bought for Quinn is called "On The Day You Were Born" by Debra Frasier. It's a book that I hope she will appreciate when she gets older, and even pass down to her children if she so desires.

OMG, Leslie! My mom gave Jonah both The Giving Tree AND On the Day You Were Born.. We read them alot, and they always bring tears to my eyes...

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
OMG, Leslie! My mom gave Jonah both The Giving Tree AND On the Day You Were Born.. We read them alot, and they always bring tears to my eyes...

LOL I always feel like a dork because every time I read either of these books to Quinn I get tears in my eyes and all choked up, too hehe.

If you like these books you should read Old Turtle. The illustrations are out of this world and the message is quite amazing. It's another book that I can't read all the way threw without getting choked up hehe.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
One of my favorites was "The Runaway Bunny," by Margaret Wise brown (who also wrote "Goodnight Moon," another great read-aloud book).

I also loved "The Gnats of Knotty Pine," by Bill Peet, and "Where the Wild Things Are," by Maurice Sendak.

My mom also read me "The Little House on the Prairie" series by reading a chapter each night before I went to bed. I loved it, and it was so nice being read to every night before bed. When I have kids, I am definitely going to do the same.

I love kids books and already have a collection for myself! When I worked at a bookstore years ago I got an awesome discount so I have a good collection. :D

Cataholic
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Reading totally rocks. If I can teach Jonah love and respect for all, and, a love of reading, my job as a parent is largely complete!

This weekend, he 'read' before falling asleep. I went in and found him fast asleep with his 'magazine' laying on his chest.

Show me a person that has no time to read, and I will usually find someone that watches 3 plus hours of TV a day!

sparks19
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
One book that always has and always will bring tears to my eyes is Robert Munsch "Love you forever"

http://robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=40

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
One book that always has and always will bring tears to my eyes is Robert Munsch "Love you forever"

http://robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=40

I just bought that one! It's SO beautiful! I love, love, love books and I got a bunch of gift certificates for Amazon.com for my B-Day and I spent every penny on books for Quinn. Reading is so important and it's so bonding. My hubby is not a reader at all and I am a huge reader. It's so important to teach my children the benefits of reading and the love of books. I can't wait to get the huge load of books I just ordered for Quinn to add to her collection! I'm hoping she respects the books that I've gotten her so she can give them to her children. I have some amazing books and I love every one of them.

sparks19
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I just bought that one! It's SO beautiful! I love, love, love books and I got a bunch of gift certificates for Amazon.com for my B-Day and I spent every penny on books for Quinn. Reading is so important and it's so bonding. My hubby is not a reader at all and I am a huge reader. It's so important to teach my children the benefits of reading and the love of books. I can't wait to get the huge load of books I just ordered for Quinn to add to her collection! I'm hoping she respects the books that I've gotten her so she can give them to her children. I have some amazing books and I love every one of them.

What books did you just order :D

I am just starting my book collection for my impending little one. I wish I still had mine from when I was young but they all went to my neices and nephews.

Hubby and I are both big readers and both our moms read to us all the time when we are little. I really think that makes a big impact on ones love of books.

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
What books did you just order :D

I am just starting my book collection for my impending little one. I wish I still had mine from when I was young but they all went to my neices and nephews.

Hubby and I are both big readers and both our moms read to us all the time when we are little. I really think that makes a big impact on ones love of books.

I ordered "Where The Wild Things Are" in hard cover, "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch , a few Baby Einstein board books, "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst, "The Ugly Duckling" by Hans Anderson, hardcover, and "Zen Shorts" by Jon J. Muth, hardcover. I can't wait to get them! Quinn's bookshelf is already starting to fill up! I bet by the time she's 2-3, she'll need a bigger bookshelf :) These new books I ordered sound just so fun to read. I had a hard time narrowing it down to the books I got, I can really go crazy when book shopping. If I wern't broke, I probably would have spent an extra $100 easy. I only spent what I had in gift certificates, though, so I was good :)

cassiesmom
07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
"Red Fox and His Canoe" is one I particularly remember. I believe it's back in print.

I read and re-read all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. "Caddie Woodlawn" and "Pippi Longstocking" (I wanted to BE Pippi Longstocking).

The "Little Bear" books (illustrated by Maurice Sendak).

A beautifully illustrated fairy tale called "School for Sillies" and a book called "Mexicali Soup" about a mama who takes out one ingredient from vegetable soup at the request of each member of her family until there is nothing left but hot water, which she serves.

Hallmark pop-up books, especially "Thumbelina" and "Cinderella".

"Make Way for Ducklings"!

And sparks19, I had "The Monster At The End Of This Book" - I used to flip over to the last page to see the monster even though I knew who it was! And I agree with you about "Love You Forever".

When my youngest nieces were little (they'll be in 10th grade this fall) they both loved "If you give a mouse a cookie" and all the subsequent variations. But "MOUSE COOKIE BOOK" was the hands-down favorite. They have both read "Holes" and "Bridge to Terabithia" for middle school too.

I bought a copy of "Polar Express" when the movie came out. What a great book!

Does Quinn have "Pat the Bunny"?

My nephew (who's now 23) loved Curious George. He read all of my beat-up old ones and there were some newer ones (Curious George and the Pizza is one) by the time he could read them to himself. My oldest niece loved the Baby Sitter's Club books.

sparks19
07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
OH MY GOSH CM, I forgot about the babysitters club. I LOVED those books. I read every single one.... then I got into the R.L. Stine books.... they are kinda horror books for young teens.

AdoreMyDogs
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
"Make Way for Ducklings"!

Does Quinn have "Pat the Bunny"?

Oh My Goodness I want the book, "May Way For Ducklings"!!! I read it quite some time ago and LOOOOVED it. I have been looking for it and on Amazon.com it's just under $50.00. :( I just can't afford that so I'm going to keep trying to find it. Gosh that's a beautiful book. The illustrations are just beautiful and I LOVE the story!

I don't have "Pat The Bunny" for Quinn yet, but it's on my list of books I want. I almost got it in the order I placed with Amazon.com, but didn't have the $ for it after I totaled up my shopping cart.