PDA

View Full Version : I am so ticked off!!

binka_nugget
07-09-2007, 07:42 PM
:mad: :mad: I came home after a long day at work with a killer headache to find an SPCA officer waiting for me! Apparently, some idiot called the SPCA and complained that our dogs were being tied out without any shelter. Anyone who knows me knows that I darn well know the laws and provide above and beyond what is legally required.

I think what they saw was Keeva being tied for her SUPERVISED potty breaks when she was younger. We had an older fence that she was able to get through. We live in a busy area so obviously we were very careful about her getting out. We got a new fence put in a while ago so now she gets full run of the yard (supervised) for her potty breaks. I'm thinking it was a fairly old complaint since we haven't had to tie her for a long time.

It's just ridiculous! Even if they were being unsupervised, the door is never closed if they're outside. If I'm out working in the yard, the door's always open for them to go back inside if it's too hot out.

I train dogs professionally. I volunteer for the animal shelter. I foster for Border Collie rescue. I fundraise for the SPCA. I train with an agility group. I transport for different rescues. I treat my dogs better than most people treat their kids. It's ridiculous for anyone to think that I would provide less than adequate care for my dogs! :mad:

Thanks for listening to my rant.. :o

Catlady711
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear your day ended so badly.

You didn't say what the officer said when she looked over the property and the animals. Did she say anything?

Cinder & Smoke
07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
So ... WHAT did the SPCA Officer DO, or SAY, or Ask??

Did you "pass" the inspection without any threats or warnings from them?

BC_MoM
07-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, that is crappy.
But it is nice to see that people are starting to be concerned about the well being of an animal! (Even though it was misinterpreted)

Freedom
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
OK, so what did the Officer say.

AND

Which neighbor have you ticked off recently?

binka_nugget
07-09-2007, 08:03 PM
He met the three and said that they're obviously well cared for. I showed him the back yard and he pointed out that I have my agility equipment out.. so I guess he knew I was a "dog person". I told him that I volunteer for shelters and rescues and explained the fencing bit. He said that sometimes people driving by assume the worst and call and that I obviously know how to take care of my dogs (we started talking about showing, agility and volunteering for the shelters). He also said that even if the dogs were being left out there, there was more than enough shelter for them.

I'm pretty sure I know who it was. We're bitter neighbors with one of the guys next door. The guy who lives next door in the basement has a dog. We keep complaining that he leaves dog crap in our yard and he keeps complaining (to us, not AC) that my dogs wake him up (at 3 in the afternoon). Let me just say that the last thing I want is for AC to take my dogs away. Dogs are dogs and will bark. I stop them right away but yeah, they're gonna let out a bark now and then.

Alysser
07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Ugh, neighbors.. :rolleyes: I'm sorry that happened to you. You do ALOT for your animals and seriously, anyone with eyes could see that. Your career, free times, etc. is revolved around your animals. I hope this doesn't ever happen again.

Catty1
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Pick up his dog crap and leave a pile at his door. No...maybe not! ;)

kallisto4529
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
LMBO Catty I love that!!!!!! That is exactly what I was thinking.....I would be majorly ticked off if someone called AC on my as well, you have every right to vent to us and to be upset about it, but at least you know and the AC ofc knows its not true and they are very well taken care of.

chocolatepuppy
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry some idiot reported you Ashley. We know you take care of your dogs. {hugs}

Glacier
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry this happened, but glad the officer could see the real situation.

We had Animal control called on us once when we lived in Calgary. Our neighbor reported that we were beating a dog. I answered the door with Muskwa beside me and the officer laughed and said "they didn't say it was a husky." Muskwa had been howling his objections to being bathed!

Giselle
07-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Binka_nugget, if it was your bad neighbor, all I can say is that I can feel part of your pain. Granted, mine haven't called the AC on me (yet <_<), but neighbors and dogs just don't mix sometimes. I'm so sorry. I'm sure that must have been infuriating!!

cyber-sibes
07-09-2007, 09:16 PM
:rolleyes: neighbors...
I'm glad it all turned out alright.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry that you had a bad day, but I am glad that people are starting to take more action about animals and their conditions. I just wish it was used with people whom actually NEED to get checked out.. Seems it never is :rolleyes:

Sevaede
07-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Ugh! What a flippin' jerk! :mad: I'm sorry that happened, Ashley. :( Thankfully the officer saw the REAL story. So maybe (gods forbid!) if this happened again you've got him standing behind you. :)

That neighbor sounds like the type of person who would call just to stir up trouble and not out of any sort of concern.

shais_mom
07-10-2007, 01:01 AM
that sucks Ash!
I'm glad the AC officer did have a brain in his head tho!

K9karen
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
:mad: That sucks but at least everything turned out OK.

I agree with you Ashley. Dogs are going to bark. Like, hello? Logan barks when someone (Esp with a dog) walks by, and we immediately quiet her down. But, I'm glad she barks. She's my security system. Except for the back neighbors (whose dog nearly severed my hand), I have no problems. I'm really lucky so far. There's always one rotten apple in the bunch! :rolleyes:

pitc9
07-10-2007, 07:47 AM
that sucks Ash!
I'm glad the AC officer did have a brain in his head tho!

Ditto!!!

As for the barking... like you said HELLO!! They ARE dogs and they bark, that's what dogs do!!

Glad it turned out well.

mruffruff
07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
In a way, it's a good thing the officer saw how well you treat your dogs. Next time the idiot neighbor tries to cause a problem for you, the officers will 'consider the source' and the neighbor will be seen as the problem!

Husky15
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that trouble, it would definitely be frustrating, but I have to agree with mruffruff.

binka_nugget
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys :) I feel a bit better.. I guess I'm glad they even bothered coming out and checking on the dogs. But at the same time, I've never been so insulted in my life. I work very hard and give up a lot of luxuries to ensure that my dogs live good lives. It was just so insulting for someone to even question my ability to take care of my pups.