PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Wars!

Puppypower64
07-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Got any tips on potty training? I despritly need to potty train my 6 week old pup!:rolleyes:

ChrisAK
07-22-2002, 10:47 AM
At six weeks,...take him out every 2 hours. Use the following commands:

Outside: Use this to get him out the door. Once outside take him to the designated "potty" and command "POTTY". Then wait until he does his thing.

Then lots of goofy, baby noised praise: Good potty, good potty.

This will get him used to his area, understand that once he is outside he can do his thing, and lets him know this is where he to do his thing.

As he get's older, this works great, because then he knows when he's outside he has to go potty (potty on command). Especially if you have plans in the evening, just get him outside, command potty, and in they go.

His bladder is tiny, so frequent trips all through the night, and do not let him in until he is done. Even if you have to wait a few minutes, to ensure he doesn't have to go potty.

Dixieland Dancer
07-22-2002, 12:39 PM
puppies in general do not have control of their bladders until they are 12 weeks so don't expect much before then. All mine where trained completely by 14 weeks. Good Luck!

Dakota's Mommy
07-23-2002, 08:24 PM
I'm also working on potty training my now 7 week old great dane. Thanks for the advise. She usually does pretty good about going to the door and whining to be let out, but there are the occational accidents in the house. We hadn't had one in the last couple of days, that was until this afternoon.

Puppypower64
07-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Thank's for the tips!!:p All keep them in mind as I go through the quagmire of pottytaining. He is doing very very well!