PDA

View Full Version : HOT and humid in Pittsburgh!

davidpizzica
07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
The temperature in Pittsburgh right now is 93 degrees. That high humidity makes for a dangerous situation to be outside in. Of course the boss had me cutting grass in this mess and when I got home I didn't have much energy left. I especially have to watch with my heart condition because I get out of breath very easily. I try to pace myself and drink plenty of liquids and if it gets too bad, find a shady free to rest under. I don't know if I prefer THIS or snow!!

Kirsten
07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds very unhealthy to me, and I think it's irresponsible of your boss! When you have a heart condition, you shouldn't do ANY physical work when it's hot and humid!!

For the next weekend, we're expecting temperatures like this, too, and I already fear it. This kind of weather always feels life-threatening to me. I really hate it!

Let's hope it won't last long!

Kirsten

davidpizzica
07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Sounds very unhealthy to me, and I think it's irresponsible of your boss! When you have a heart condition, you shouldn't do ANY physical work when it's hot and humid!!

For the next weekend, we're expecting temperatures like this, too, and I already fear it. This kind of weather always feels life-threatening to me. I really hate it!

Let's hope it won't last long!

Kirsten
Kirsten, I have Atrial Fibrillation in which the top half of my heart is supposed to act like a pacemaker for the rest of my heart. In my case the top half isn't doing it's job and resulting in a reduced blood flow and me getting short of breath. I tried to tell my boss this, but he said quote " so your heart beats a little fast" This is a rant because he has young kids that can do the same job I did today instead he has me do it at 59!

Pam
07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
David are you using a riding mower? I can't imagine using anything else on a golf course. I hope your boss will have a little compassion on these hot days. Unfortunately employers don't see things like employees do and view all employees as replacable. *sigh* We are in the thick of it here too in South NJ (right outside of Philly) - the three H's - haze, heat and humidity with temps in the high 90's today. Fortunately I work inside in air conditioning.

Catty1
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Would a stern note from your doctor to your boss help?

A fellow here was 48, and two weeks away from setting up an appointment for surgical treatment for his atrial fibrillation. He did marathons, biked all the time, inspired kids to get active - and he died of a heart attack on a relaxing bike ride last fall. Thankfully, he apparently didn't know what hit him.

David - not to worry. You got treatment - the guy above didn't get serious about it til it was too late. I am just trying to stress that your boss is ignorant! This isn't 'beating a little fast'. I'd get some info from your doc for him.

Freedom
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
It was hot here today as well. I took the dogs for their evening walk about 7:20 as the temp was down but OOHHH the humidity did me in! Can't see how anyone can work outdoors in this weather, even the healthy ones!

Alysser
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Being a short distance from you(south Jersey), we had the same exact weather. I really didn't think it would be THAT bad but it was horrible. This weather is digusting. I was supposed to go to an Amusement Park today and those plans didn't last long. I went to the mall instead, it's just WAY too hot to go outside. You bet I'm goin' in my pool tommorow! :p

I have a heart condition too, I am actually unaware of what it is or does, but I know it's not the same thing. I get out of breath very easily to. It really sucks. :( Now the stupid annual check-up is coming up in august, oh joy. :rolleyes:

angelbow20
07-09-2007, 08:11 PM
The high for us today was 102!!! But with the humidity it felt like 155 out! It was awful my poor dogs barely even ate or did anything today but lay down and sleep and it was my last day off from vacation and I pretty much just sat around since it was to hot to do anything.

davidpizzica
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
t's still hot & humid here in Pittsburgh. The boss was easier on me this morning, less grass cutting to do and after that finish a job I started yesterday. He DOES have a heart somewhere down there! After I got that work done, he sent me home to get out of the dangerous humidity and heat. Now I'm in air conditioning!