PDA

View Full Version : Little Knut is crying for his "dad"

Kirsten
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
The "Knut show" in the zoo of Berlin has ended. Polar bear cub Knut is now 7 months old and weighs about 50 kg, and playing with his animal keeper has now become too dangerous. Today, young Knut had to spend his first day on his own - and he whined and looked constantly for his daddy. Poor Knut!

Kirsten

Karen
07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Awww, poor baby! I know his keeper has said he'll still visit and play with him, but the transition was bound to be difficult for Knut to understand.

Catty1
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I hope he gets to meet other bears soon...poor baby! :( He doesn't know that he is big and dangerous!

But also, his keeper was getting exhausted - and some not so nice treatment from some members of the public when he didn't want a family dinner interrupted, for example.

At least he will still say hello to Knut...I am sure they won't cut him off cold turkey!

Kirsten
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
People should be aware that Mr. Doerflein has given up almost all of his private life when he raised Knut, for more than 7 months now. I think it's time for him to get a bit of his life back. And as you said, he will still care for Knut, but these playing sessions are getting too dangerous.

I hope Knut will be fine. He is still too small and young to be with his polar bear family, they wouldn't accept him. When he's older, he will go to another zoo where he will hopefully have some female company, and maybe have babies. I hope he'll be able to be with other polar bears. I don't know how hard it would be for him to live on his own all the time, as polar bears are loners. But right now, he's too young and little to be alone.

Kirsten

dukedogsmom
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Poor sweetie. I know it must be a hard adjustment. But, it's good that it's happening before he gets much older, you know? Wish I was there. I'd carefully give him a bear hug :D

BC_MoM
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
It'll be hard to adjust for both Knut and his keeper.

Kudos to the keeper for raising little Knut!

lizbud
07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I think this is one of the consequences of being raised in a Zoo setting
rather than something like an animal reserve. Being raised by humans puts
the animal at a great disadvantage for later life with his own kind. Animal
reserves can safely raise & return animals back into a relationship gradually.
They've done it for years with great success. I hope Knut gets along fine.