PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Water Out

Marigold2
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Right now it seems that most of the US is having a very dry hot spell. I leave several bowls of water outside around the sides of my home and in flower beds. Not just for birds but for all creatures who might be thirsty and in need of water. I refill them every evening. Just wanted to pass that idea along to all pet lovers. A bowl of water in this heat could mean the difference between life and death for bunny or bird or groundhog and countless others. Please leave water out.

Karen
07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
In our area, we are cautioned against leaving any water standing, as it's a breeding ground for mosquitos. Maybe this is not true in other parts of the country, but both Triple E (Eastern Equine Encephalitis) and West Nile Virus have been found in mosquitos in Massachusetts, and can be harmful to humans as well as animals. People are regularly cautioned to check around their property for buckets, tires (like a tire swing), or anything else that catches rainwater, and to empty them out.

Thankfully, we're not experiencing the same extreme temperatures as much of the rest of the nation.

Hellow
07-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes, that is true Karen for here too but the bowls are cleaned out daily. I do this because we are experiencing near 100 degree tempreatures daily.