PDA

View Full Version : Still Pregnant Sheena (pics)

NicoleLJ
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Yup Sheena is still pregnant. She is keeping everyone waiting. I think she likes all the pampering she is getting and the constant attention. She is on day 62 of her pregnancy based on her first breeding. She is fine and I think she won't have them today. So she might go a few days past her due date which I have been assure by my vet and my mentors that it is perfectly normal and safe. So since the last pics I took were fom July 1st I though I should take some more for you all. I took them today, outside in front of my gazeboo and on our unfinished mini patio. lol We plan to add indoor/outdoor carpet to it because the bare plywood just doesn't look good. But eh project was put off till after the pups are here. Anyway here are the pics.

The first two are of Sheena standing.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphpxC4VgD.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphp70ltfp.jpg

Now her sitting

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphp4Atqgp.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphpDV7EgY.jpg

And now laying down. This first pic was the only dirty look I got as I took pics.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphplNCbmh.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/tmpphpcgqAE9.jpg

She is so full of milk and ready for pups. lol I just hope she has them soon so I can go back to getting a couple of hours sleep a night instead of staying up all night wondering if she is going to have them. lol Hope you enjoyed.
Nicole & Sheena (moms to be)

joycenalex
07-08-2007, 03:50 PM
if i were that pregnant, i'd be a bit testy too. love the pictures, thanks for sharing

Roxyluvsme13
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
She looks beautiful and about ready to pop :p.

Hellow
07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Lets just hope she dosent pop! She looks very...full

Freedom
07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
She looks beautiful! Just a little longer, and your whole world is going to change, he he he.

3muttsandaboston
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
What a beautiful girl. I wish her the best with the delivery! She is beautiful. Keep posting more beautiful pictures after the babies are born too.

lv4dogs
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I know I had limited access to pt about when you first joined but I have to say I've always been fond of all your posts & replies. Sheena's such a beautiful momma I can't wait to see her pups. You always make me miss my old sweet Nook, yet always bring a smile to my face at the same time. :) Thanks for being a part of pt!

mike001
07-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Shepherds always have huge litters, enough for everyone. Usually between 10 and 12, sometimes more. Place your orders.

buttercup132
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I really love how we get all these updates and pictures. It makes me feel like I'm involved in it.
I can't wait for the babies to come!! Let those puppies out soon Miss, it looks like your belly is going to explode.
I've also read the other updates (just dont reply to all of them) and I hope she has enough puppies for everyone on the waiting list two years is so long to be waiting for a puppy.

Catty1
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
That one pic is about the only testy look I have seen from her. She seems a happy dog, ALWAYS smiling!

Sheena, wait til you are a new mom! THEN the attention you will get! :D

Vela
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
This has been really neat following along. Thanks so much for sharing all of that with us. Can't wait to see the pups.

NicoleLJ
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks all. Sheena has been such a happy girl through all of this. She always has been. One of the traits I am hoping she will pass on to her litter is her confidence and her happy additude.

As for "placing orders" sorry but if the adopters had that kind of additude when it came to adopting one of Sheena's pups they would not get a pup from me. This is not like ordering off a menu. Either way the ultrasound said 6 and my vet says there could be a few more. So possibly a litter of 8. 6-8 is the average size for a first time mom for this breed. Yes they can have bigger litters but 6 - 8 is the average. If she has 8 or so then all the pups have homes. I prefer having homes lined up before a litter is born, perferably before the litter is even concieved. Only one of my adopters contacted me after Sheena and Ryder were bred. Everyone else has been waiting a while.

Having the homes already lined up means I can focus souly on the litter and making sure they are raised in a way that will give them the best start in life. Instead of having to waste time in finding homes.

Agian thanks all. I will drive you nuts with updates. lol

angelbow20
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I cant wait to see puppy pictures! My moms dream dog is a white german shepard and someday I will make sure to get her one. She is such a pretty dog and I love german shepard puppies!!!!

NicoleLJ
07-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Well it looks like I am on Sheena watch all day (have been all week really. lol). I took her temp at midnight last night and it was 99.7. It has been staying between 99.6 and 100.4 for the last week. She has been up panting hard most of the night even with the air conditioner and fans on. So I took it just now and it has taken a dive to 98.7. Has never been that low. Not sure if that means she is having them today but it could be a good indicator. Just thought you guys might want this update.

Canis-Lupess
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Watch out for other obvious behaviour too.

Our bitches often used to really empty their bowels not long before coming into the labour. Watch out for small amounts of it, sometimes with a bit of mucus where they are really trying to clear themselves out.

Nearer the time, they get restless, might start rushing around to find a place to have them and they'll rush anywhere except the area you made for them to have the pups. Our Mist used to be all over the garden trying to find another den, haha. During this time, it was almost impossible to get her to settle in her whelping area. She'd insist on rushing around everywhere before finally settling.
They also start shaking, panting and sometimes whining like they are excited. They also tend to go off their food about 24 hours beforehand but our Jess didn't the first time she had pups.

Good luck. I hope it all goes smoothly.

cassiesmom
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Nicole, I'm still rooting for Sheena to have a smooth delivery and that the pups will be born healthy and ready to grow. Could you please give her a pet for me? I still wonder how many pups she is going to have, but we'll find out soon!

NicoleLJ
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
So far nothing yet. Her temp is 99.0 even. So has not gone up yet. Se has spent a lot of time sleeping heavily and when she is awake either needs to potty or wants to dig in her Whelping boxes. She ate about 3 mouthfuls of food at 4pm but that is all she has had all day, though the food is there for her to have. This last time I took her out to potty, 3:30pm only a tiny drop of poop came out and some clear discharge as well. So I think she is cleaned out and ready to have them.

I think I am in for a long night. She might be waiting for hubby to come home from work to have them, which would be a huge help for me even though I do have family that will come and help with the delivery and also take the kids till all is done so Sheena has a stress free delivery. But i think she would prefer just hubby and I helping her deliver. In which case we would just have family come and get the kids.

Anyway that is the update for now. Sorry I took so long with it but Sheena and I had a nap together. I was exhausted. Now i am more energized though and ready to see the new additions.

buttercup132
07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
:D So exciting.

AdoreMyDogs
07-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Just look at that belly! She sure looks ready to pop! I can't wait to see puppies! Good luck tonight if, indeed, she does go into labor. May it be quick and uneventful, and may all the little puppers be fat and healthy.

CathyBogart
07-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Sheena, do you know how many people are impatiently waiting to see your new family? :D

mike001
07-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks all. Sheena has been such a happy girl through all of this. She always has been. One of the traits I am hoping she will pass on to her litter is her confidence and her happy additude.

As for "placing orders" sorry but if the adopters had that kind of additude when it came to adopting one of Sheena's pups they would not get a pup from me. This is not like ordering off a menu. Either way the ultrasound said 6 and my vet says there could be a few more. So possibly a litter of 8. 6-8 is the average size for a first time mom for this breed. Yes they can have bigger litters but 6 - 8 is the average. If she has 8 or so then all the pups have homes. I prefer having homes lined up before a litter is born, perferably before the litter is even concieved. Only one of my adopters contacted me after Sheena and Ryder were bred. Everyone else has been waiting a while.

Having the homes already lined up means I can focus souly on the litter and making sure they are raised in a way that will give them the best start in life. Instead of having to waste time in finding homes.

Agian thanks all. I will drive you nuts with updates. lol

Place your orders was a figure of speech Nicole. Sorry you took offense.

NicoleLJ
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Place your orders was a figure of speech Nicole. Sorry you took offense.

Who wouldn't. These pups are not menu items. I have never heard anyone refer to adopting a puppy by saying "place your orders".

kallisto4529
07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Bless her heart, she looks like she is ready to just have them and be done!!!!! lol She looks beautiful and healthy just like all pregnant mom's to be!!!! I can't wait to see the puppies. I will keep her in my prayer's that when the time comes she has a very safe delivery and healthy puppies.

buttercup132
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Updates??:)

NicoleLJ
07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Last update of the night. Took her temp agian and it dropped even more to 98.6. Other then that there is no change. She only had her 3 mouthfuls of food at 4pm. Nothing else the whole day. I am in for a long night ahead of me and will let you know more info in teh morning if there is anything to report.

K9karen
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I can't wait to be a PT Auntie again!!! (all PT pets are family to me!) Anxiously waiting for the little miracles to arrive!

critter crazy
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Come on Sheena!!! We wanna see some cute Babies!!!:D

BC_MoM
07-10-2007, 08:03 AM
C'mon Sheena! You're just being silly now! WE WANT PUPPIESSSSS! :D

I hope she has enough puppies for everyone on the waiting list two years is so long to be waiting for a puppy.

I know several breeders who have long waiting lists. There is nothing wrong with it. If the breeder is reputable, it's worth the wait. Plus, if the number of puppies isn't equivalent to number of wanna-be parents, why should the mommy have to be breed right away again to please them? :p It's all about patience! Good things come to those who wait.

mike001
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Who wouldn't. These pups are not menu items. I have never heard anyone refer to adopting a puppy by saying "place your orders".

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NicoleLJ
07-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Here is the morning update. Still no pups and no sign of labour/contractions or the like. Her temp is still 98.6. So no change there. All night we were taking her out to potty every 2-3 hours and to walk around the yard on leash. She would then come in, dig in her box and then go straight to sleep. The pups in her tummy are still really active and Sheena is acting completely fine. But if there are no signs of labour by 11am, it is 9am right now, then I am phoning my vet for advice to make sure that all is going well since her temp has been down in the 98's for over 24 hours now.

Sorry for the late update but I am exhausted, still fighting my cold, no sleep the past 3 nights and so on. So I will update when I can. But that is where we stand right now.

C'mon Sheena! You're just being silly now! WE WANT PUPPIESSSSS! :D

I know several breeders who have long waiting lists. There is nothing wrong with it. If the breeder is reputable, it's worth the wait. Plus, if the number of puppies isn't equivalent to number of wanna-be parents, why should the mommy have to be breed right away again to please them? :p It's all about patience! Good things come to those who wait.

Great post and I totally agree. We will defiantley not be breeding Sheena agian right away. If all does go well with this whelping, many dogs go over there due date so there is still no reason to think it won't, she will only be bred once more at teh age of 5. And I already have a waiting list for that litter too. lol

cassiesmom
07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Nicole, I can't find the post with the 9-week "here's what to expect" information. So, here is my question. Will Sheena have any other signs of labor other than a change in her appetite and temperature? I wonder if the pups will come today. I'm still hoping they will all be born healthy, ready to grow, and that the delivery will go smoothly. Whatever day it is, today or another day. Will you be able to stay in touch with the pups' adopting families? I hope your cold goes away quickly.

NicoleLJ
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Here you go:

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html#pregnancy

Week Nine (Days 58-65)

DEVELOPMENT OF THE PUPPIES
Growth and Development continues

CHANGES IN THE BITCH
Nesting behavior may be seen
Bitch may become distressed (panting, pacing, acting uncomfortable)
Temperature should be around 100.2-100.8 degrees Farenheit
When temperature drops to around 98-99.4 degrees Farenheit, puppies should be born within 24 hours
Appetite may disappear as whelping approaches

CARE OF THE BITCH
Start taking temperature three times a day

TO DO LIST
Notify vet or emergency clinic when temperature drops so that they will be ready if you have any problems
Keep detailed records on temperature and behavior of bitch
Double check that whelping supplies are ready

There are many signs of labour. Some dogs will show all of them, some none. All they are are signs but they are not a sure thing.

I should be able to stay in touch with the adopting families. It is in everyones contract that I have to know their address and phone number for the life of the dog. Same goes for teh pup I am donating. It is very important that I do stay in touch so I can see where I need to improve the next time I breed and what I did right with this breeding and should try and do agian.

CathyBogart
07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? ;)

M&M's Mommy
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? ;)

Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet?
Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? Are they here yet? :D

cassiesmom
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Pssst, pssst, Sheena ... methinks it might be almost that time... :)
When temperature drops to around 98-99.4 degrees Fahrenheit, puppies should be born within 24 hours ... check
Appetite may disappear as whelping approaches ... check

So - please have healthy pups and no problems during the delivery, okay? (we're ready any time you are :D)