PDA

View Full Version : More Horror from Orem Utah

RICHARD
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
The home of Gary Gilmore!

A 70 year old woman was 'roughed up ' during an arrest for refusing a citation for..........

A brown lawn. It's against the law to let your lawn turn brown, she could not afford the extra 50 bucks so she let it go...until an Orem P.O. took her in.

She had scratches on her face and arms in the pictures I saw......another reason to skip the Beehive State!

Kfamr
07-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I don't quite understand the large amount of Utah-related posts, either? Stupid and shocking things happen in EVERY state. Every state has cities with stupid ordinances or laws. Certainly not a reason to "skip" Utah.

Having visited and stayed in Utah numerous times, I do believe it's a state worth visiting. I certainly wouldn't give up the chance to visit or move there.

I searched for this story, and it is indeed true, however the reason she had "scratches" on her face/arms is because she tripped and fell - according to the articles I found.

wombat2u2004
07-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah Richard !!! Stop bashing Utah for goodness sake.
Anyway....who exactly is Utah ???? :cool:
Wom

RICHARD
07-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Gee, I guess people from UTAH don't have much of a sense of humor, eh?
I could care less about Utah. As a matter of fact, Utah is such a boring place you never hear about anything stupid going on there-the only reason I'd bring it up.

Living in Cah lee fuh nee ah, where stupidity abounds, it refreshes me to hear about places where "nothing like this ever happens" has it happen!

Feel free to take a shot across my bow. I can't follow every Lost Angeles news cast.

Anyway, you have to laugh about a state that has two vowels and two letters in it's whole name.

You'd never see that as a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune! :confused:

-------------

K,
Putting a 70 year old woman in handcuffs isn't the smartest thing to do-anywhere in the United States. First of all, if your local police force has the time to cite people for a LAWN INFRACTION, the city council needs to grant more business permits for donut shops.

Second,
If you hang around anyone over the age of seventy you'll find out that some of them have a real hard time with balance. A 70 y.o. does not have the bone density of a younger person-which leads to broken bones.

Many people, of age, fall and break bones every day. The results are not pretty and can LEAD TO DEATH, not from the broken bone, but from complications.

--------------

Stupidity and zealotry infect the planet.

I live minutes away from Hollywood, we have the market is cornered.
We also have our share of stupid cops too. We shoot people out here for less.

Scooter's Mom
07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
A radio station here does "Stupid News from around the world" a couple times a week.

I kind of took the post as one of those reports. Because, it is stupid of the police officer to treat a 70 year old woman that way. Especially over a LAWN. Now if she were out dealing drugs, sure! But over a lawn? Not even.

Crystal

caseysmom
07-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Don't worry Wolf Q I have wanted to visit Utah for a long time and I still do :D It truly has some beatiful scenery that I don't want to miss out on sometime in my life.

RICHARD
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I guess I'll ask Mitt to refund the donation that I made.

-------------

I kinda doubt if people will believe an idiot in Lost Angeles telling people to stay out of Utah.

Another reason I pick on Utah is that MISSISSIPPI and MASSACHUSETTS are too long to type, Wyoming, I can barely spell and Hawaii has 4 vowels and two letters.

I have no sense of direction, so that excludes the DAKOTAS and CAROLINAS.

I have a soft spot for states that begin and end in an "A", so Alaska, Arizona are on the "No Joke List".

I apologize if I have sullied your state.

I do not apologize for sullying the idiot cop.

I often skate on thin ice........Does it snow in Utah?

moosmom
07-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Gee, I guess people from UTAH don't have much of a sense of humor, eh?

Apparently not. Lighten up, will ya???

kuhio98
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I think you guys are being too sensitive about this. It was meant as a joke.

Hey, Richard! Feel free to joke about Alaska anytime. We love to tell stories on ourselves. And it is practically REQUIRED to have a sense of humor if you're gonna live in a place that has snow on the ground 7 months out of the year! :D

It's been known to snow on Memorial Day, the 4th of July........ Remind me again, why I live here. :confused:

RICHARD
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
It's been known to snow on Memorial Day, the 4th of July........ Remind me again, why I live here. :confused:

Igloos are cheap to build and maintain? ;)

MM,

NOT even gonna touch CONNETICUT! :D

carole
07-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Richard's post was mean't in a light hearted manner too,besides everyone who has ever visited the state of Utah, myself included knows what a beautiful place it is, i have been to orem where this took place,and as pointed out every state has these types of going on's,phew glad in NZ we have one law for the whole country, makes it a darn site easier, mind you we are very small.

So take it how it was mean't,hey they joke about NZ having more sheep than people here, and guess what it is true. :D

Pam
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I guess when you live in a state like New Joizy you get used to being the object of jokes. :rolleyes: :) I honestly don't think Richard meant anything by it other than to poke fun at a police force with nothing much to do. If anything that tells you there isn't much serious crime going on there and that's a compliment. :)

joycenalex
07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
richard, i've often found ohio to be joke worthy, and since i'm "from that state up north", i'm very willing to join in :)

Catsnclay
07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
And Donna, you are the last person who has any room to tell people to "lighten up."

OUCH!! :rolleyes:

This was all meant to be a joke, I do believe you were the one to take offence to this first.

This thread would have not turned this ugly if the story came from....Arizona or somewhere else, and believe me, we have some VERY stupid criminals - um, make that people, that live here!

Stupid stories come out of every town, city and state Richard just happened upon this one and he thought he'd share it with everyone -

***Note to Richard - no more Utah stories!! :p ;)

caseysmom
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Please don't do that I don't think you were being overly sensitive or anything.

Kfamr
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Good job guys. Have a bit of respect for other's feelings.

Honestly, I don't see where Amy needs to "lighten up." Some of the comments that have been made were very unnecessary.

I too, a non-Utah resident, was curious as to why there were so many Utah-oriented posts lately.

caseysmom
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Honestly, I don't see where Amy needs to "lighten up." Some of the comments that have been made were very unnecessary.

I too, a non-Utah resident, was curious as to why there were so many Utah-oriented posts lately.

Seems like a bit of bullying to me.

K9soul
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
There have been I think three or so posts regarding Utah recently. I wouldn't think much of it if they were posted by someone in Utah, but I found myself wondering what was up too. After the other threads, and then the "yet another reason to avoid.." comment, I wondered if there was a bit of a Utah vendetta going on as well ;). I hope you're feeling better soon Amy, I hate to see you hurt.

Catty1
07-09-2007, 02:26 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A 70-year-old woman was left bruised and bleeding following a clash with a police officer in western Utah state. The woman's offence? Failing to properly water her front lawn.

The Utah Daily Herald reported that grandmother Betty Perry was jailed briefly after violence flared when a police officer issued her a ticket for failing to maintain the garden of her home in Orem, 45 miles (72 kilometers) south of Salt Lake City.

When she refused to give her name to the police officer, she was placed under arrest, triggering a scuffle that saw her fall to the ground, hurting her elbow, knee and leg.

"I'm very distraught over all this. I can't believe this happened. Do you ever just wish you could start your day over and it would all be different?" Perry told the Herald, adding she was accidentally hit in the face with a handcuff while being arrested.

The newspaper quoted an Orem police spokesman as saying Perry was released from jail after supervisors became aware of the situation.

"There were other ways of finding out who she was and dealing with her violation short of taking her to jail," he said.

The arresting officer had been placed on administrative leave while police reviewed the situation, the report said.

Vela
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Well thank's for posting that update. It actually ISN'T common practice to rough up old ladies for not watering their lawn. There are bad cops in every city though, just like there are good ones in every city. And those of us who live here certainly don't think "bad things never happens here".

Alysser
07-09-2007, 05:41 PM

I agree. I read this board before anyone deleted their post. Good job for making someone respected want to leave. Real nice.. :(

Edwina's Secretary
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I saw this thread when it first went up. I thought it inane and silly but that happens.

Utah is different from other states in that 70% of the population belongs to one religion...I suspect...jokes about the state might feel differently in that case.

I have said before I think sometimes people can be overly sensitive. However, in this instance I was disappointed that, when the thread CLEARLY hurt someone...the response was not am "I am sorry for offending you..." In fact it was precisely the kind of non-apology apology the originator of this thread would make jokes about if a politician or an actor said it.

But then I have never saw the humor in the first place. A cop did something stupid. Wow....

lizbud
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
This is the first time I've ever noticed a thread mentioning Utah. :confused: Maybe I missed it among all the joke postings. :p

Catty1
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
RICHARD...you want horror in news stories?

Welcome to southern Alberta in bland Canada. Details in the Medicine Hat post.

RICHARD
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
let's review,

The point of this post was to warn anyone with a brown lawn from traveling to U***.

-----------------------------

Now,
Go back and read the Utah Threads and tell me where the "vendetta" comes from.

I have no control over the threads that people open or their reaction to them.

I think the problem lies with the media for reporting stories about events in the state.

Had a PM been sent to me I probably would not have made any more comments.

-------------

For anyone that reads or looks at any news based programs you will notice that there are times when goofy news stories shift areas, states or countries.

Utah hardly ever appears in the newspaper for any reason at all, so when you see it mentioned a couple of times in the space of a few weeks I wonder
what is going on.

Having flown over, driven around and having spoken to a few people from that state, it really doesn't show up on my radar, nor would it unless I read about it in the newspaper/internet.

Please feel free to post any comments or crap that I made regarding Utah.

And attach an apology, if you please. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
This thread shocks me.

It was just a joke.

People make fun of Tennessee and hillbillies and rednecks all the time, but you don't see me getting offended do you?

It was just a joke.. and we should all take it as a joke. And not go overboard or attack anybody.

dogzr#1
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I think you hurt Utah's feelings, Richard. Why don't you apologize.. ;)

Alysser
07-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, we have registered it was "just a joke". But when it clearly hurt someones feelings, it went on anyway. I am just going to say that I think Edwina's Secretary hit the nail on the head for me. I think I'm done with PT for awhile to..I really just can't stand the rudeness lately.

K9soul
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I wanted to clarify that my use of the word "vendetta" was meant in a lighthearted manner. I was wondering what was up with the recent threads, but no I do not truly think anyone has a serious vendetta for a state :p.

I actually feel the responses to Amy after she spoke up about it were what were the most hurtful, and not the OP. I can empathize with how I would feel, and how I have felt in the past, when people used sarcasm and rolleyes emotes because of something I expressed. It's painful. Any poster who does that should try to keep in mind how it feels to be on the receiving end of that kind of thing.

And that's my 2 cents, for what it is worth!

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I swear I wasn't going to post, but here I am. Excuse me for taken offense, I'm sorry, I'll never care about anything enough to take offense again. What Richard said was nothing compared to the rest of you (minus a few of course) attacking me for expressing an opinion. If this is what PT is about I really do not want to be a part of it. I deleted my posts (my apologies to those who complained because I deleted my own posts :rolleyes: ) because I wanted this to stop, but apparently it's not going to. Can we please go back to acting like adults now and be done with this? You had your fun and laughed at me, does this make you all happy? :confused: I'm very that I ever posted in the Dog House, trust me, I will never post here again. Go ahead and make fun of everything, be rude, I guess if that's what you guys enjoy, this is the place for you.
My post wasn't really intended as an attack and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I know some people were just trying to have fun and I guess you do have a right to be offended. Some of the joking after this was unnecessary, I do agree with that, and again, sorry for any attack.

Maybe we should all keep this thread in mind and not go overboard with jokes or anybody taking offense, savvy?

carole
07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
i wasn't intending to post here, but just wanted to say we are all different, and what offends one might not offend another, we just have to keep that in mind,we are probably all guilty of offending someone without really intending too.

For what it is worth Amy i have had the privilige of visiting Utah and i think it is a beautiful place,it is nothing like anything we have here in NZ, and that is what makes it so unique and wonderful, i for one love the place,and i wish there was letterbox with my name on it in Provo.

I hope you do continue to post here Amy. :)

RICHARD
07-10-2007, 09:34 PM
People make fun of Tennessee and hillbillies and rednecks all the time, but you don't see me getting offended do you?

It was just a joke.. and we should all take it as a joke. And not go overboard or attack anybody.

The love of my life was from WV - If all "hillbilly" women were as wonderful as her, I'll take one dozen, please!

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2007, 09:35 PM
The love of my life was from WV - If all "hillbilly" women were as wonderful as her, I'll take one dozen, please!
LOL!

Most of them are great ;).

RICHARD
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
LOL!

Most of them are great ;).

I'd have to take them one at a time-even then they'd probably have to bury me after the third one. :eek:

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd have to take them one at a time-even then they'd probably have to bury me after the third one. :eek:
lmao! xD

Being a Hillbilly is fun. :p

Edwina's Secretary
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Amy...I am sincerely and very sorry that things were written in this thread that offended you or hurt your feelings.

Sara

Kfamr
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I actually feel the responses to Amy after she spoke up about it were what were the most hurtful, and not the OP.

Exactly. Some people really have no respect for other's feelings.

Some of you have done a wonderful job in making a pillar of PT upset and don't seem to give a crud. I suppose that's "just a joke" too. Eesh.

And ES, thank you for apologizing, although I don't think you're on the list of people who own an apology in this thread.

Edwina's Secretary
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
And ES, thank you for apologizing, although I don't think you're on the list of people who own an apology in this thread.

Kay...I hope I was not. Nonetheless, I do not like to see people hurt like this. I am truely sorry.

caseysmom
07-11-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't know what to say but I am sorry there are hurt feelings, Amy you always have seemed like a sweet gentle person to me please try not to be hurt and stick around.

wombat2u2004
07-11-2007, 05:00 AM
Hey Amy,
Come-on mate, no need to leave. We all fool around here a bit, and yeah, sometimes it kinda gets out of hand.
Anyway Amy, for what it's worth, my earlier post here wasn't necessary, and I apologise to you if it caused you any hurt. It wasn't meant to, it's just me jerking around with my usual loose Aussie humour.
So in saying that....come on back....I'm sure I can speak for everyone else here, that we want you here with us.

Hey Richard,
Ahhhhhhhhhh....must I say it ??? Or are you gonna do the man thing all by yourself ???? (Git ya butt in here and say sorry !!!!)

Wom

wolf_Q
07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Thank you. But honestly I do not need an apology from anyone, I just want the remarks in this thread to end. I'm truly sorry that I ever said anything, I will never interrupt the "fun" in the dog house again.