PDA

View Full Version : I met quite the young man today

sparks19
07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Today at work I met quite the young man.

A family from New jersey came into the store today. They had two kids. I am not certain of their ages but the boy was the oldest and if I had to guess I would say he is about 11 or 12 perhaps.

His hobby is making jewelry.... which on it's own is wonderful. it so nice to see young kids taking such interest in any kind of creative outlet. But not only does this boy enjoy making jewelry.... he has also made himself a little business out of it.

He makes jewelry and sells it at craft shows and other venues. We are trying to encourage him to be one of our "Artists of the Month" in which we showcase an artists jewelry for the month in our display case.

so not only does this boy have himself a little business.... but he has also been taught how to control his inventory and price his items. He understands how to keep track of how much he is spending and how much he is making, how much to charge, how much each piece costs to make, etc etc. He keeps a log book of what each item is made from and how much each piece cost, how much the pack of materials cost as a whole, and how many pieces of jewelry he got out of each pack of materials.

I was truly amazed by this young man. It is very rare to see kids that age with a "job" and not only that but the knowledge and teachings to keep track of such things and to plan it out etc.

I really hope they take us up on our offer for artist of the month.

moosmom
07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Sparks19,

His parents should be very proud of him. I do hope he takes you up on the Artist of the month.

sparks19
07-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Sparks19,

His parents should be very proud of him. I do hope he takes you up on the Artist of the month.

He was also a VERY polite young man. he always said please and thank you, he put things away that he decided he didn't need (most of our adult customers don't even do that lol)and when his mom told him that he couldn't get something he never talked back to her or whined.... he just said OK and looked for something else.

His mother was very proud of him and was very happy about our offer for AOTM .... I just think he would make such an interesting featured artist. :D

moosmom
07-07-2007, 08:23 PM
He was also a VERY polite young man. he always said please and thank you, he put things away that he decided he didn't need (most of our adult customers don't even do that lol)and when his mom told him that he couldn't get something he never talked back to her or whined.... he just said OK and looked for something else.

Boy, you don't see THAT these days!!! His parents brought him up proper!!