View Full Version : New windshield wipers....HELP!

Catty1
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Okay...I know I am getting older, but I can't believe I can't replace my own wiper blades!

Last year, I changed them right in the parking lot outside the store where I bought them.

Today, I pressed and pushed little buttons in the middle to unhook them...did this have anything to do with just having gone through the car wash?

Any tips? Gonna check Google and see if there is anything comprehensible.

2001 Toyota Corolla, if that makes any difference...

Thank you!

moosmom
07-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Candace,

I know the feeling. Believe me, you are NOT alone! My wipers need replacing. I'm going to wait and take it to my friend who is the only one I trust with my car.

Catty1
07-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I found some Google instructions, and am heading back out with a screwdriver in a bit!

Here they are, for what it is worth...

Instructions
Difficulty: Moderate
Steps

1 Step One

Look up your vehicle's make and model in the reference books where wiper blades are sold. This reference will provide you with the correct model of blade to purchase.

2 Step Two

Open the package containing the new windshield wiper blade. The package should include up to three or four different styles of blade attachments, the small plastic piece that secures the new blade to the wiper arm.

3 Step Three

Examine the existing attachment (where the arm and the blade meet), then find a new one in your package that matches it.

4 Step Four

Grasp the windshield wiper arm and pull up, away from the car. The blade and arm should now be sticking out perpendicular to the window.

5 Step Five

Remove the windshield wiper blade from the arm at the attachment. There will usually be a small tab you can depress with a screwdriver that will allow you to pull the blade from the arm. Some attachments have a small metal bump and two tabs on either side; you depress the tabs and pull hard to remove the blade. Some just snap onto the blade.

6 Step Six

Remove the old attachment from the wiper blade and replace it with the new one.

7 Step Seven
Install the blade onto the windshield wiper arm.

8 Step Eight

Test by turning on the wipers. If the blades slip, turn off the wipers and seat the attachments more firmly.

Craftlady
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I buy mine at AutoZone and have them install.

Catty1
07-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I bought mine at Canadian Tire...and because they were so easy for me to install, I decided I would do it.

There goes the memory!

slick
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I just bought new ones too.....had my mechanic put them on when the car was in for a lube and oil. :rolleyes:

Sorry, can't be of any help you but good luck.

Catty1
07-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Well...I just had an oil change a bit ago. I could drive up to the Canadian Tire and ask, no problem...but I have been on my own a long time and it is almost a point of pride to be able to do things myself.

Rebuilding the engine is another matter, however! :D

jennielynn1970
07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I buy mine at AutoZone and have them install.

That is exactly what I was going to say!!! They are very sweet and nice and install free of charge!!! Love them!

caseysmom
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I always have them changed when I have the dealer do the oil change they don't charge :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-08-2007, 04:02 AM
My wipers are a pain in the butt! I put after market dual blades for beter visibility in the snow and rain but it makes replacing them tough. The top blade is a different size than the bottom, and I always mix up the sizes. Luckily, the nice people at Auto Zone let me exchange my blades if I foul up :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-08-2007, 04:08 AM
My wipers are a pain in the butt! I put after market dual blades for beter visibility in the snow and rain but it makes replacing them tough. The top blade is a different size than the bottom, and I always mix up the sizes. Luckily, the nice people at Auto Zone let me exchange my blades if I foul up :D

I hear ya about wanting to do it yourself. I'm that way about my car too...I guess I just don't trust people with it. Plus there is something cool about a girl that can work on a car :D