PDA

View Full Version : Does your vet think your pet is mean?

Former User
07-22-2002, 02:12 AM
Nope. Casper and Kitty are little angels at the vets. I have a feeling they don't know yet all the bad and horrible things vet can do :D . C & K are glued to us when we go to the vets. They let the vet examine them and they just sit and try and look miserable.:rolleyes:

Ann
07-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Nope, not at all.

I personally don't think that ANY vet thinks an animal is "mean".

sasvermont
07-22-2002, 07:48 AM
Well, Graemer and Miley are angels at the Vet's. They love to climb on the Vet and his assistants. They do however, go right back into their carrier if it is left open.

Now Gabe is another story. I have yet to take him to the Vet but my take on him is that he will be a mess. He has a reputation you know! He will be fine in the container, but I bet he turns into a monster when they go to get him out. I think I will probably alert them to his history and take their advice as to whether or not to drug him before hand!

Most of my cats have been cooperative at the Vets but none of them really love it. They would much rather be at home.

:p

jennifert
07-22-2002, 08:04 AM
I'm not so sure WHAT the vet thinks of Duncan! I do know that they have to take him in the other room and muzzle him because he will bite them if they come near ME! He is such a sweetie pie though. He doesn't mean any harm, he is just misdirected I think or something.....? Once I am out of the equation, he is wonderful and will let them examine him and play with him, etc. I try to sneak a peek at his file when we go (Like Elaine in Seinfeld! ;) )
I know he has a red sticker and it says PROTECTIVE in big letters. But all in all, I think they like him and try to understand him.

Karen
07-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Our very sweet, kind little bunny is on the charts at the vet's as "that wild bunny" - they definitely think she is mean to them! I've told this before, but when we picked Miss Hoppy up after getting her spayed, the vet said - "In all my years of spaying bunnies, this is the first time that I thought a rabbit might wake up in the middle of it and bite me!" She knew she was under anesthesia, but still thought, in the back of her mind, that if there was a way, Miss Hoppy'd bite her!

Mind you, if you're not a vet, or a vet tech, then she's fine. She let the 3-year-old next door hug her and squish her head so Taylor could give her a good-bye kiss ...

Freckles
07-22-2002, 10:45 AM
Freckles is very calm at the vets. At the first exam with a new vet, Dr. had his left hand on the table next to Frecks head while he was writing notes with his right, so Frecks licked his hand. Then he took a flea comb to her neck and she kept turning her head so he could scratch in the right places. That's calm. Freckles is well liked by all the staff so I'm comfortable leaving her there when I go on vacation.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-22-2002, 11:40 AM
No! My vet thinks I own 4 chickens instead of cats. We have to take the carrier apart to get them out of it. Seems they grow extra feet and use them all to hang on to the inside of the carrier.:D

Randi
07-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Luckily, our vet has a soft spot for orange tabbies, he has one himself. :) When we arrived with Fister the first time, the vet was a bit cautious though, because we had already told him how difficult it was to get him in a box, and how he had scratched John.
However, when the top opened, he sat there like a little angel and let the vet touch him and put a needle in him. His first comment was: He is BIG!

So all in all, I think our vet quite likes him! :D

Edwina's Secretary
07-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Edwina's behavior at the vet this year was embarrassing. Last year she was well behaved but this time she started hissing before we were in the door. She bit my husband and the vet finally sent for an assistant and suggested the assistant use a towel to restrain my sweet little pussy cat. :o

Logan
07-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Mine ALL turn into Jello at the veterinarian's office, and he always asks me what in the world I'm talking about when I tell him how bad they can be! LOL!! This usually applies to Butter Cat....who is simply mushy with Dr. Robinson. Go figure!! :)

Christiansmommy
07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Umm...hmmm...well...lets just say Gabe will need his tranquilizers before he goes to the vet ;) He is fine in the carrier and has no trouble going into the carrier, but its hard to get him out at the office and then once he's out...look out :rolleyes: They need to use leather gloves and also have a caution sticker on his file that says, " Go slow with this cat". My take is that he is just really scared...and this is how he deals with it... his first visit to the vet was very surprising for me, since he never acted THAT insane at home...he cried like a little baby, I went out into the waiting room, and my husband stayed in the examining room with him and i could hear him out in the waiting room...but after that i knew that this is how it was going to be, so I just kinda got used to it...

SAS, if you plan on getting him shaved once a year ( he definately needs to be put under tranquilizers for that!!), then you may just opt to get his yearly shots done at the same time...that's what I did...my vet had a groomer on the premises...so you may want to look into that as a good option...if you dont get him shaved every year, then he'll need a tranquilzer prior to the visit...

One of the vet technicians actually told me that one of her cats was a complete doll baby at home, and once she got into that vet office, she would go crazy...so anyway, vets are used to "scardy cats" ;) But if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :) And think of it this way, it's only once a year!!

Robyn

aly
07-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Reece doesn't like it at the vet but no one can tell. I can only tell by the expression in his eyes when he looks at me. He seems to be saying "Why mom? Whyyyyyyy?" He's always more than happy to get out of there.

Lolly acts like a freak, but not mean in any way. She shakes uncontrollably and always tries to jump in my arms. Then she'll start letting out yaps and grabbing my legs. If the vet makes any sudden movements, she rolls over on her back and screams :rolleyes: A lot of this has to do with her abusive past and the vet understands that so she just takes it slow. When the visit is done, Lolly DRAGS me to the door and tries to open it herself :D

Shiloh is pretty good at the vet. She's petrified though and usually just sits really still. She's not used to other places besides my apartment. The vet and techs always compliment her on how well behaved she is. She lets them do anything and is really easy for them to pill. She even let the vet reach into her mouth and pick something out of her back teeth. She is also VERY happy when it is over. When I first found her, it was a bit different though. She was so starved for any kind of attention that she was purring all through the vet visit... even during the uncomfortable tests and vaccinations!

AdoreMyDogs
07-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Graham is exceptional at the vets. He has absolutely no fear and he is always happy to go because he loves the vets and the vet techs. Kersey is completely non aggressive, but the first time I took her to the vet and the vet tried taking her blood for her heartworm test she began screaming her head off! She was a 60 pound baby! She kept pulling her arm away from the doc and screaming and wailing, and so the vet had to try from her jugular (sp?) in her neck and she freaked out so much that she wet herself! She wailed and sprayed pee all over herself, the floor, and all over the guy who was trying to hold her :) Needless to say I was totally shocked and Graham was looking at her as if she were completely deranged :)

I began taking her to the vets on a very regular basis so she would not be such a freak. When she got her rear dew claws removed she was much, much better, but still nervous. At least she didn't pee or wail :)

anna_66
07-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Our vet complimented us on Huney when we took her in. He said, what we've always heard about our Chow's, "Such a sweet dog, for a chow"! Guess they really have bad reps, but I wouldn't know about that, mine have always been little angels!
As for Roxey, she loves anyone, anywhere at any time so there is NO WAY the vet could even phathom that she is mean!
And Angus, he is never, never, never mean to the vet......except this one time. We had just moved into the area & was trying to find a vet. Well, the one I took him to he "HATED HIM"! He's never been that way towards anyone, ever! He actually tried to attack him, & I had to hold him back on the other side of the room, he even tried to get him when he walked behind the front desk as we were leaving! So, needless to say, we found ourselves a differnt vet!!!

Pam
07-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Well once Trevor and Andy are in the carriers it is smoothe sailing from there. When they get to the vet's office they naturally don't want to get out of their carriers and "dumping" them doesn't work too well either. We usually have to take the carrier lid off and just lift them out. :rolleyes: They behave very nicely for the vet once they realize they have to. He even scales their teeth as part of their exam. It's not a total cleaning like us humans get at the dentist but at least he keeps on top of their tartar. So far so good. He has remarked several times on what good boys they are. :)

Bella, loves going to the vet's. In fact she loves going any place where there are other dogsters to smell and make friends with. :rolleyes: When she was younger she got herself so excited that she would "spritz" a little on the floor of the vet's when we got there and then another little "spritz" would come out when he came into the exam room. :o Fortunately she is doing better these days. :) She is also a good girl for her exam, just like my boys. The vet has a poodle of his own and he of course makes a fuss over my girl which makes this mom happy. ;)

Rottieluver45
07-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Our cocker spaniel PJ HATES the vet!! He`ll start to shake when he sees the vet`s office!
And Bailey She`s not really scared of the vet,because as long as someone is touching her(giving her attention) She doesn`t care what they`re doing to her!!:D

lovemymaltese
07-27-2002, 08:46 PM
No, not at all. My vet thinks Tango is a cute little fluff ball with lots of patience. Tango has had a lot of medical attention these past couple of months, I would say he can tolerate a lot.

Andie
07-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Dr. Williams thinks Bull is just a best dog that you can find mainly cuz he'll sit there and let you do just about anything to him. Bull is kind of relutant to actually go into the vet's office but once he's in he's an angel.