PDA

View Full Version : Gripe Of The Week !!!!!! Help !!!!!

wombat2u2004
07-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Yep, you guessed it, my neighbours have gone on holiday yet again.
Their two dogs, a shepherd called Bruno, and another fluffy white thing that looks a bit like a husky, have been barking for the last two days, day and night.
This afternoon I put my head over the fence to have a yell at them, but they came running up to me and started pawing the fence. I thought to myself....."hey, have these dogs anything to eat ??? Or is someone feeding them ???" I went and got a couple of dog bickies, and gave it to them, and boy, they were bloody starving.
These creatures next door to me that I refer to as neighbours, have gone on holiday, and left NO food for their dogs !!!!!!
I just can't believe this !!!! Anyway, Karen made them both up a big dish of dinner each, and I went in and fed them, checked their water etc etc.
And do you know what ???? No more barking !!!!! The poor things were just hungry is all.
I don't know how long these idiots have gone away for......so what should I do ??? Ring the Ranger again ???? Or just feed them till the idiots return from holidays ????
I really don't like going onto their property, I don't even really know them, so I sort of feel bad about doing that, but at the same time, I'm really feeling for those poor dogs.
Wom

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Those poor dogs :( I know in the USA that's a no-no and, although the penalty is little more then a slap on the wrist, it's still against the law. I'm sure it's similar in Australia, and I think the authorities should be aware of this. If I were you, I'd both feed the dogs AND notify the authorities. I don't know the laws where you live, but I'm sure if the owners do it again, they can have their dogs confiscated and hopefully re-homed into a fitting home, as well as getting a hefty fine.

Why do some people own pets???? What's the point of having an animal if only to be forgotten? People make me sick sometimes :( I'm glad you feed the poor pups.

Daisy and Delilah
07-07-2007, 07:19 AM
What a crying shame!! I wonder how the owners would like it if they were left without food? I hope they get in big trouble down the line. :( :mad:

Kudos to you for feeding them!!

Hellow
07-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Im glad that you fed them. I mean, who would go off on a vacation and leav no food and water for them??? They should be re-homed. :mad:

captain
07-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Wom,
I would phone the Ranger again.
I know there are really good rescue groups up in NSW, and they could probably help too.

Good on you for taking care of them.
Those neighbours deserve to be starved!!!

Cheers
Michelle

joycenalex
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
wom, call the rangers. it's wrong to leave dogs without food and water.

Catty1
07-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Call the rangers. Animal control. Get the neighbours DNA tested to see if they really belong in the human gene pool...SHEESH.

And they have TWO dogs now???? :eek:

sasvermont
07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
One would hope that these idiots had made arrangements to have someone stop in and feed the dogs. I don't call that taking care of animals while they are on vacation, but some people do. Have you seen anyone drop in?

My first response was to tell you to make the doggies go "poof" and find them a good home, but on second thought, they would go out and get two more, yes?

I think you did the right thing, feeding and watering them. I suspect the dogs will survive because of you. POOR DEARS.

People make me so angry some times. :mad:

Thanks for taking care of someone else's pets.

wombat2u2004
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Wom,
I would phone the Ranger again.
I know there are really good rescue groups up in NSW, and they could probably help too.

Good on you for taking care of them.
Those neighbours deserve to be starved!!!

Cheers
Michelle

Ah...I dunno. I rang the ranger last time when the shepherd got out and was running all over the highway and coming into my backyard terrorising my dog.
When he got home, he simply went to the pound and got his shepherd back. I have no idea if they fined him...I suspect they didn't.
I had a think about it....and don't think I'll go thru the drama again. I'll just feed them everyday till those idiots get back.
I'm 99% sure no-one else is feeding them tho.
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Call the rangers. Animal control. Get the neighbours DNA tested to see if they really belong in the human gene pool...SHEESH.

And they have TWO dogs now???? :eek:

Oh yes....they belong to the human gene pool alright...theyr'e too stupid to be animals !!!!
Wom

Catty1
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Does it have to be a Ranger? Is that the only equivalent to Animal Control there?

At least file a complaint with the appropriate people...or start a neighbourhood picket!

captain
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Wom,
Here in Victoria, you get fined $ 150.00 each time the dog is taken to the pound. You get 3 chances, after that, they will not give you your dog back.

PLUS, they make you neuter your animal on the 3rd strike. I know in some councils, they neuter the dog on the 1st call!!!!

Kudos to you.
Michelle

wombat2u2004
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Wom,
Here in Victoria, you get fined $ 150.00 each time the dog is taken to the pound. You get 3 chances, after that, they will not give you your dog back.

PLUS, they make you neuter your animal on the 3rd strike. I know in some councils, they neuter the dog on the 1st call!!!!

Kudos to you.
Michelle

I don't think they do that much here in the rural cities Captain. Up here in Armidale when the uni and private schools empty on holidays, it's like as if everyone else knows everyone. So the system is probably a bit more lenient.
I've discussed this with a few of my other neighbours, they seem to think that if we ring the ranger, all that will happen is that when the creep returns, he will just go get the dog back...without a fine again.
Wom

Taz_Zoee
07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
That's too bad that nothing will be done about the owners. :(
But it's great that you are willing to feed and water the dogs while they are gone. :D :D

pitc9
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
If it was me...I would call the Ranger and at the least file a complant that they left their dogs with no food or water. So that it would be on record that they again were being Stupid pet owners.
Then I would keep feeding them until the owners get home and when they do, hand them a bill for the food you gave to their dogs to keep them alive while they were away.

buttercup132
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
How do you know that noone goes over to feed them?
Just something to point out most dogs go crazy for cookies and eat them like they havn't ate in days. And then you make them a nice meal of course they aren't going to pass it up.
I guess if they have a bad rap with animals it's easier to belive they aren't getting food.

cassiesmom
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Wom, can you clonk the neighbors on their heads with a newspaper for me when they return? Seriously though, how sad of them to leave their dogs un-cared for. You get a huge gold star for looking after them as you have.

And I'm with pitc9 - give them a bill for the food and care you provided their dogs while they've been away. I called my sitter to see what she charges for visits to dogs and her fees are $18-$20 per visit. She said each visit is supposed to take 30 to 45 minutes.

wombat2u2004
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
How do you know that noone goes over to feed them?

Because their water bowls are empty, and have been for the past 4 days.
The water I have given them is in my own bowls which are at the back corner of their property, and anyone who did come to feed them would be unaware of that.
Wom

kt_luvs_kitties
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Poor dogs. Atleast you are helping out. I would still report it. Then they would have to spend money on gas to get the dogs back.

wombat2u2004
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Poor dogs. Atleast you are helping out. I would still report it. Then they would have to spend money on gas to get the dogs back.

I'm going to have words with him when he returns from holidays.
Wom

Pawsitive Thinking
07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm going to have words with him when he returns from holidays.
Wom

Make sure they are very strong words and he is under no illusion that he must never do this again!!!! :mad:

wombat2u2004
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Make sure they are very strong words and he is under no illusion that he must never do this again!!!! :mad:

Well mate, what I plan to do is confront him about this, and then suggest that I feed them everytime he decides to go on holiday.....I mean I don't mind doing this. What upsets me, is the fact that even if he has arranged with someone else to feed them, those others are not coming around and doing that. And it's the dogs who are suffering.
I know, that if that is left up to me, then those dogs are going to get looked after while he is gone.....and what he does when he is home is his own business.
Wom

nancyweNW
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I would definitely file a complaint WHILE they're away. If you saw a child left w/o food or water you'd call authorities and that kid would be out of there right then. I feel the same for animals...if someone isn't taking care of them, then take them and let the owners explain when they get back.

captain
07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Wom,
I know I would do the same thing.

Good on ya!

Catlady711
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Well mate, what I plan to do is confront him about this, and then suggest that I feed them everytime he decides to go on holiday.....I mean I don't mind doing this. What upsets me, is the fact that even if he has arranged with someone else to feed them, those others are not coming around and doing that. And it's the dogs who are suffering.
I know, that if that is left up to me, then those dogs are going to get looked after while he is gone.....and what he does when he is home is his own business.
Wom

Yes BUT.... Next thing you know he'll ask if you can take them for all their walks. After that he'll say he's out of dog food, then YOU'LL be paying for all their food. And finally when they need medical attention he'll say he doesn't have the money or time to take them and again YOU'LL be doing all the work and spending all the money.

In my opinon it's HIS dogs, it's HIS responsibility to take care of them. If you're doing all the work, why SHOULD he take care of his responsibilities? If he isn't doing the job, KEEP calling the ranger, or even take pictures of the neglect (empty bowls etc) and find out who the ranger's boss is, everyone has a boss. There are laws and regulations for the care of animals and if one lousy ranger is too lazy to do his job, then maybe a call from his boss might get him to do something. Proof with pictures and possibly a statement signed by the other neighbors would help the ranger to realize the situation requires an immediate solution.

wombat2u2004
07-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Yes BUT.... Next thing you know he'll ask if you can take them for all their walks. After that he'll say he's out of dog food, then YOU'LL be paying for all their food. And finally when they need medical attention he'll say he doesn't have the money or time to take them and again YOU'LL be doing all the work and spending all the money.

In my opinon it's HIS dogs, it's HIS responsibility to take care of them. If you're doing all the work, why SHOULD he take care of his responsibilities? If he isn't doing the job, KEEP calling the ranger, or even take pictures of the neglect (empty bowls etc) and find out who the ranger's boss is, everyone has a boss. There are laws and regulations for the care of animals and if one lousy ranger is too lazy to do his job, then maybe a call from his boss might get him to do something. Proof with pictures and possibly a statement signed by the other neighbors would help the ranger to realize the situation requires an immediate solution.

I know exactly what you are saying mate, but he is my next door neighbour, and I think I should maintain a little rapour with him. So I'll just play the politics game.
As for taking advantage of me.......well, if he tries that one on me, then the game will be over.
My main concern here is the dogs.
Wom

Pawsitive Thinking
07-11-2007, 05:48 AM
I know exactly what you are saying mate, but he is my next door neighbour, and I think I should maintain a little rapour with him. So I'll just play the politics game.
As for taking advantage of me.......well, if he tries that one on me, then the game will be over.
My main concern here is the dogs.
Wom

What is he like usually? does he take care of them when he is home? If so, it could be that he arranged for someone to look after them and he has been let down......

On the other hand if he neglects them all the time - report the bugger!

Pam
07-11-2007, 05:55 AM
What upsets me, is the fact that even if he has arranged with someone else to feed them, those others are not coming around and doing that.

Wom this might be just the key to approaching him in order to not sound like you are accusing him. You could ask him if he has hired someone to watch the dogs and tell him that, if so, you just wanted to let him know that the dogsitters did not do their job. That should get the message across without creating an enemy out of this person. It is not easy to live next door to someone we are not *fond of.* Trust me I did that for years. (Did a happy dance when I saw their For Sale sign go up....but I digress! :p) If he says that he did not hire someone you might mention to him your concerns for the dogs and the fact that you have had to step in. Also let him know that, while you didn't mind doing it, if you had been away on vacation at the same time their fate might have been different.

wombat2u2004
07-11-2007, 07:25 AM
What is he like usually? does he take care of them when he is home? If so, it could be that he arranged for someone to look after them and he has been let down......

On the other hand if he neglects them all the time - report the bugger!

Well, he's an unapproachable sort of a guy, but that doesn't matter to me, if I have something to say to him, then I will do so.
But I don't think he neglects them when he's home. You could be right tho about someone else letting him down....I don't think anyone in their right mind would just leave their dogs for a week or so alone.
For instance, you remember last time he went on holidays ??? The dog got out, onto the highway running around, and then over my back fence and chasing my dog around.........that's when I rang the ranger. But nothing happened to him, he just came back, repaired his back fence, and went and got his dog back.
I have no idea if he knows it was me who rang the ranger.....and I don't really care.......he has to get those dogs looked after when he goes away....simple as that.
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Wom this might be just the key to approaching him in order to not sound like you are accusing him. You could ask him if he has hired someone to watch the dogs and tell him that, if so, you just wanted to let him know that the dogsitters did not do their job. That should get the message across without creating an enemy out of this person. It is not easy to live next door to someone we are not *fond of.* Trust me I did that for years. (Did a happy dance when I saw their For Sale sign go up....but I digress! :p) If he says that he did not hire someone you might mention to him your concerns for the dogs and the fact that you have had to step in. Also let him know that, while you didn't mind doing it, if you had been away on vacation at the same time their fate might have been different.

Yes, I agree with that Pam. That's definately what I will do.......school holidays are over in a couple of days, so he can't be far off returning.
I will do as you have suggested, that is a good idea. Thanks.
Wom