PDA

View Full Version : Live Earth............More like clueless Celebs

Lady's Human
07-07-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=466775&in_page_id=1879

Yeah, I know it's the Daily Mail, But.......

How clueless can people be? We're going to save the earth from global climate change by burning thousands of gallons of Jet A, trashing stadiums and other venues,generating tons of trash, burning megawatts of electricity, and using celebs who at the heart of conspicuous consumption to promote their cause?

What happened to local clean up efforts, promoting less energy consuming appliances, and asking people to use common sense?

Am I missing something here?

crow_noir
07-07-2007, 12:52 AM
You're preaching to the choir my friend.

Lady's Human
07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
It's like telling the planet "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

Giselle
07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
When I first saw ads for it, I asssumed that they were going to "greenify" it by planting a bunch of trees or banning plastic bags or travel on horseback or something like that. I don't know the details if they are or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they didnt. That's humanity for ya.

crow_noir
07-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Oh, but isn't it such a pretty Band-Aid ? ;)

When I first saw ads for it, I asssumed that they were going to "greenify" it by planting a bunch of trees or banning plastic bags or travel on horseback or something like that. I don't know the details if they are or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they didnt. That's humanity for ya.

Lady's Human
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
According to the article, they are offsetting their carbon use by supporting a forestry project in Mozambique.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

wombat2u2004
07-07-2007, 05:35 AM
[QUOTE=Lady's Human]According to the article, they are offsetting their carbon use by supporting a forestry project in Mozambique.QUOTE]

What ???? They're a pack of idiots !!!!!
Wom

smokey the elder
07-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Whatever happened to "Think globally, act locally!"? The grass roots level is where climate change has to happen, writing Congress, Parliament, or other governing body to force appropriate legislative change (carbon tax, carbon trading, *gasp* nuclear power, other alternative energy).

Catsnclay
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
*gasp* nuclear power

Hey!! ;) Watch what you say about Nuclear Power......my husband working at our local plant puts food on our table, plus a lot of good things we can afford!

And besides, it is SO misunderstood! Would you rather get your electricity from a coal plant burning in your area???!!!

(wow, you guys got me on a roll today......I promise to step off the soapbox - now!!) :D

Lady's Human
07-07-2007, 11:46 AM
CnC,

I think Smokey was being a tad sarcastic with the (gasp). I doubt it was serious. My only kvetch with nuclear power is all the BS politics involved with it.

RICHARD
07-07-2007, 01:27 PM
LOLOLOLOL,

The money they are getting from ticket sales will be used to buy incandescent
light bulbs!

Light Bulbs provided by the Dim Bulbs! I like it!

----------------------------

The Arctic Monkeys had the same complaints about the 'concert'.

The only thing that I found mildly intriguing was the 'band' made up of scientists from the Antarctic. That covered the '7 Continent Rule'

Good on them.

RICHARD
07-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I saw a few clips...
Metallica still look like they need a bath and Bon Jovi's guitarist needs another gold lame' jacket that DOES fit him!

I do want to see Roger Waters and peh, for everyone else.

Catsnclay
07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
CnC,

I think Smokey was being a tad sarcastic with the (gasp). I doubt it was serious. My only kvetch with nuclear power is all the BS politics involved with it.

Yes, I did understand that, and I guess I didn't acknowledge that, but usually Nuclear Power is a big no-no amoung people.....people that are uninformed about it! And yes, all the politicians too!!

cassiesmom
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Nuclear Power is SO misunderstood! Would you rather get your electricity from a coal plant burning in your area???!!!

The first part - Nuclear power is misunderstood - I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand it as well as I should. I guess the nuclear part un-nerves me because when I think about nuclear anything, I wonder about toxicity. But there are nuclear medicine applications in health care that have changed the way patients are cared for. Illinois has nuclear power plants, but I don't know how much of the whole power supply comes from them. Just don't stand near me and say 'nuke-you-lar' like President Bush does - that drives me bananas. I want to raise my hand and tell him it's nooo - cleee - yar.

Coal? That raises more questions in my mind. Coal mining is still an industry that is fraught with danger and health risks for the people who do it. Although it's been done for decades I'm not sure it is getting safer than it used to be. So, if there was a way I could get power without having to ask people to work as coal miners - that would probably be good.

I've seen photos of those farms out West with the big windmills. Solar power was popular for awhile when I was in high school but it seems to have kind of faded into the background.

Edited to add: I don't know about every company but I know that in mine we have a lot more telephone conferences than we used to. When I first started we had people coming from other offices for meetings more than we do now. We do a lot more of those by phone and on-line.

rosethecopycat
07-12-2007, 07:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z8Haj-Jgsk

Cameron Diaz----

Doesn't she sound smart???
About the shaving of legs, with the water off:
I think she should take it one step further and stop shaving her legs, then we can save the water AND those little plastic razors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6A0bLXWE50&NR=1

Jessica Beil-----

I wonder how much carpooling Jessica does?

I'm up for carpooling, does anyone mind if I throw my painting equipment in there too? It's just a 5 ft scaffold, a giant ladder, a couple of 5 gal buckets of paint and plaster, some miscellaneous tools. Nothing that would ruin your car. Oh, you can't carpool with me, 'cuse there's no room for you in my modest CO2 emmiting sedan. Sorry.

And finally from Sheryl:

One of my favorites is in the area of forest conservation which we heavily rely on for oxygen. I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.
-Sheryl Crow
http://newsbusters.org/node/12226

Sheryl, I have a better idea. If you would just further sacrifice that one square for me and let yourself drip dry, that would be just great.