PDA

View Full Version : Laundry help D:

slleipnir
07-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I have tried everything with my laundry. I have a few dark shirts I wash and they ALWAYS come out with white spots on them. I use tide powder soup and fabric softner (with a downy ball) I washed them only with darks, no tissue or paper got mixed in accidently, and I even filled up the washer and let the soup swish around before adding clothes...can someone tell me why I still have white spots and how do I get rid of them before I go crazy?! lol

moosmom
07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Downy will cause white spots on dark clothes if it's poured directly onto clothes. If there is even a small amount on the ball after pouring it in, it will cause spots. When you put the Downy ball in, make sure the tub is full of water first.

I've been using the OxyClean Laundry balls and love them!!! Two balls will wash 95 loads. Just put them in with your clothes. My whites are much whiter. BB&B sells them.

catnapper
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Donna beat me to it. I gave up on liquid softener years ago and now just use dryer sheet. no more white splothces.

Cataholic
07-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't use fabric softener...so, I don't know anything about that. BUT, I do know if I don't let the washer fill up first, with the dry soap, I can get little specks on my clothes. I do this- dry soap first, fill to nearly the time it starts to agitate, THEN put in the clothes.

Just a shameless plug- but, I am now nearly 90 days into a dryer free life style! (well, while the warm weather is here, anyhow...he he he).

emily_the_spoiled
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Like Johanna, I don't use dry sheets or softeners (I am allergic to them). I also use liquid laundry soap and that really helps.

Johanna -- welcome to the "green" laundry dryer world :D I have been doing it for years and just love the smell of clothes dried in the sun.

Cataholic
07-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I really enjoy hanging out my laundry. It feels like a relaxing and timeless task. I have thought about simply hanging the stuff in my basement, as the super big furnace sits a few feet away, and it is prolly the warmest part of my house in the winter. We will see.

emily_the_spoiled
07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I do that in the winter time and everything dries just fine but without the nice smell. The only things I put in the dryer are towels, jeans, and sheets so it really helps on the energy bill (the very practical side of me coming out... :rolleyes: )

catnapper
07-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I hung my clothes, not by choice but by necessity: a broken dryer :eek:

Everything ended up "crunchy". How do I avoid that? I would prefer to hang clothes too. I did use liquid fabric softener when I didn't have a dryer, so I don't know what I was doing wrong.

slleipnir
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I didn't realize just a little on the ball would leave spots...that could be it...what are these oxyclean things? I may look to see if we sell them here.

jennielynn1970
07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I only ever use liquid detergent, and I use the smell free dryer sheets because I get allergic reactions to the smelly ones. I've never used the liquid fabric softener for the same reason as the smelly sheets.

I do use a dryer however, because living in the city, I really don't want my clothes smelling like Allentown. ICK. When I lived in the country, it was wonderful, and I loved the smell of clothes hung out on the line (minus the bee sting in the butt from a pair of jeans once... :rolleyes: ). I still put the towels and stuff back in the dryer to fluff however because, like Kim, I hated the crunchy feeling.

Will have to check out the Oxy stuff... never heard of washing detergent by them. Do you have to put it in one of those balls? Or do they have liquid??

Freedom
07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I commit every washing "sin" there is and never have a problem. Everything gets thrown in together: whites, lights, darks. :eek: Tide powder. Warm water wash, cold water rinse. Dryer on light setting. No dryer sheets. Been doing my laundry this way for over 20 years (since I moved out of my folks' house). Never had a problem.

Drives Dad nuts the 6 years he has lived with me (we each do our own laundry). He separates and does three small loads each week. I do ONE HUGE one and its over!

moosmom
07-07-2007, 08:29 PM
These washing balls are made by Oxy-Clean. I love them. No carrying around huge jugs of liquid laundry detergent, no white spots from powdered detergent. They sell them at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $9.99 for two balls. Small loads you use one ball. Big loads you use 2. I recommend them to anyone. :D