PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview...

Jessika
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
As some of you may recall, my current job is at a theatre (not a movie theatre) where I'm working, on average, 55 - 65 hours every week. The hours aren't that bad, you get really used to it, but my issue with the job is being treated like crap and being made to feel that no matter how hard I try, it's never good enough and there is always something wrong. Now I am a firm believer in the fact that there is always room for improvement, but this is RIDICULOUS. I won't get into details of the past two weeks, just the fact that it's made me start searching for a new job.

Well I looked through the paper Tuesday night and saw a help wanted ad for a veterinary clinic/kennel looking for assistant receptionist and/or kennel. I jumped on it and called them this morning on my way to work and had a nice chat with the owner's wife, and she seemed to really like me. She told me to call back tomorrow and talk to another lady to set up an interview.

Here is my dilemma, though. I am currently making $11/hour @ ~60 hours/week. With time-and-a-half for overtime, I'm making a bit of money here. If I go there, I will get 40 hours a week, but I will take a severe pay cut to, at most starting out, $7.50/hour.

I am miserable at my current job, but I don't know if I should pursue this job eventhough I KNOW I will be so much happier there. We need money to pay the bills, and I can't take too big of a pay cut.

With all my knowledge and experience with animals, I feel I am worth at LEAST $8.50 - $9.00/hour. Should I throw those numbers to them and see where it goes? HJ said to aim high. I will also tell them that I can't take too big of a pay cut, and that I have to make more than $7.50/hour to leave my current job.

I guess.... just make them REALLY want me, then talk about pay?

What would you guys do??

jennielynn1970
07-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Can you use leverage and say that your skills merit a pay more than a little above federal minimum wage ($7.15/hr)?? I mean, $7.50/hr is a starting out wage and if you have experience and can prove to them that hiring you would benefit them and you're worth more than that, that would be a good deal. If you live on your own, and you take a chop that like in pay, you're going to be hurting big time. You may hate your job, but if you need the pay, I'd stick to the current job until you can get a job that has the same pay, or better. Plus, when you apply at other jobs, and they see you've taken a lower pay job, with less bennies and all that, than the previous job, they'll be wondering what you did that for, and won't think twice about offering you less. Work on going up the salary ladder and enjoying the job at the same time, unless the perks at the vet clinic are just too good to pass up.

Catty1
07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Sometimes there is a probation period after which a raise is automatic. You might want to see about that.

How about a possible benefit or earning "vet bucks" - in addition to your pay, you earn say an extra 50 cents an hour in an account for your pets.

Jessika
07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Well nevermind -- I called today and she told me there were already enough applicants and she was just going to choose from those already interviewed. So whatever. Their loss.

crow_noir
07-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Awww :( Sorries to hear that.

Well nevermind -- I called today and she told me there were already enough applicants and she was just going to choose from those already interviewed. So whatever. Their loss.

Jessika
07-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Well they will be hiring again near September since they are opening a new facility and will need help then, so I will probably still apply but I'll call them every week or every other week and keep harassing them so much they will remember my name when going through applications :D

Hellow
07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
LOL!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-018.gif

Catty1
07-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I will probably still apply but I'll call them every week or every other week and keep harassing them so much they will remember my name when going through applications

How about going in for a friendly visit to get to know the place? Or phone ahead of time for a quick tour? Ask about their new facility too.

THAT will show interest that most applicants don't have.

But if you are NOT interested in doing that - maybe the job won't be interesting for you either.

Good luck! :)

Jessika
07-08-2007, 12:20 AM
LOL!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-018.gif
Uh, I don't get what's so funny????

And Catty1, thanks a ton, those are great suggestions :)

Catty1
07-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Jessika - Reggie is 13 and I think the idea of you bugging these people so they would remember your name when you applied again struck him as funny! And I can see the humour there - "I'm applying for this job - the best pest you'll EVER hire. HEY - I'm good on the phone, RIGHT?" :)

I looked at the pics of your theatre job before - and having been on the road for 20+ years as an entertainer, I can kind of see what you mean.

The performers - as often as they have done the same exact darn thing, that 'personality' lights up, and the smile happens...no sign of the backstage slavery and panic and drudgery. It can be good, but starts really sapping your spirit after a while.

When you say you will have to take a cut in pay - look at what you might save. Commuting costs(gas, tolls)? Food - do you have to eat out?

And the priceless things like SANITY and FREE TIME. :D

Keep your radar on - you never know what's around!