PDA

View Full Version : First time in kennels

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Two weeks from today my beloved boys will be spending their first night in kennels as we are off to Beijing for just over 2 weeks!!!

We've had a tour of the kennels, spent a long time talking to "Aunty" Angie who runs it and taken Tobey and Archie out there to have a look around. I was really impressed not only by the facilities but by the obvious affinity Angie and her team have with the dogs. Tobey started his usual barking so she just sat down, ignored him, spoke to us and let Tobey go to her in his own time. By the time we left they were firm friends. Archie was his usual laid back self and found the kitchen in no time!

I know my boys are going to have a great time and be well looked after but I guess I need a bit of reassurance from those of you who have already had some experience of kennelling your precious pooches.

nancyweNW
07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I haven't had to kennel yet as I have some wonderful neighbors who love my girl but I know eventually I will have to at some point and I dread it. The place sounds wonderful though and sounds like they are in good hands of people who know dogs. But I can understand the feeling of leaving your sweeties!

kallisto4529
07-06-2007, 03:43 AM
I totally get your nerves on this, at the end of the month I have to kennel Reilly for 7 days. But the place loves him, he has gone there tons for daycare and they are soo good to him and all the other animals. Very clean and well kept. The place you are describing sounds just wonderful, I bet they will be just fine!!!!

Flatcoatluver
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I work in a dog kennel. There is good kennels and bad kennels out there. We are one of those good kennels, we let the dogs out 6 times a day, clean the kennels twice a day. We spend a lot of time playing and petting the dogs. We scoop everytime they go out.

JenBKR
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
We had to kennel my RB Lady for close to a month (this was about 15 years ago) when we were in the middle of moving and were having some troubles with the move. She did wonderfully in the kennel, no complaints whatsoever. They let the dogs out several times a day for potty and play. Each dog has it's own little concrete area outside, but our Lady refused to potty on the concrete. So someone took her every day, several times a day, on a leash to her own little grassy area. She was such a funny dog, I miss her like crazy. Tobey and Archie will be just fine in the kennel, sounds like they will be well taken care of.

Ginger's Mom
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Kenneling is always a worry the first few times, but it sounds like you are doing everything right. I am glad that Tobey and Archie approve of the kennel and it's staff (and kitchen ;) ). Maybe you can take the boys over again for a visit one more time before they have to stay there.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Thursday is the big day for the boys and they are all set - food, toys, blankies, been wormed, bathed and frontlined........

Just hope Mummy doesn't make a complete fool of herself by blubbing when its time to go :(

JenBKR
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Thursday is the big day for the boys and they are all set - food, toys, blankies, been wormed, bathed and frontlined........

Just hope Mummy doesn't make a complete fool of herself by blubbing when its time to go :(

Might as well go on blubbing - I am sure they all already know you are a fool ;)

I bet the boys will have a good time at the kennel, and it sounds like they will be taken care of quite well. Can you call the kennel a few times while you are away to check up on them?

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Might as well go on blubbing - I am sure they all already know you are a fool ;)

I bet the boys will have a good time at the kennel, and it sounds like they will be taken care of quite well. Can you call the kennel a few times while you are away to check up on them?

:D

Not sure about phoning the kennels - can hardly pop back from Beijing......I will leave a contact number in case of problems though

cloverfdx
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Sending good vibes your way :). Harri had a 3 week stint at the boarding kennels last month and did quite well, he was happy to come home though.

Also whilst we were away we put all the dogs in day care for a day, the kennels were not great but it was better than them being crated all day.

I was pretty upset the first time Clover and Elvis were boarded, and when we dropped Harri off aswell :o.

CathyBogart
07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a wonderful place! My friend runs a kennel and her passion for every dog that comes through there makes me feel like I'd be okay leaving Jasper there if I absolutely had to.

Muddy4paws
07-16-2007, 12:18 PM
You should of put a stamp on them and posted them down here!! :D ;) I bet they are used to people crying when they leave them so dont worry!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Tobes and Archiedoodle are happily settled into their holiday home! They were so excited to see all the other dogs that I doubt they will even realise we are not around.

Feeling very confident that they will be fine and no, I didn't cry! Now I can look forward to my holiday......

pitc9
07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm glad to hear they settled in quickly!
Have fun on Vacation!! :D

catmandu
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Thats great that you found a kennel where the almighty quid is what rules them. A great kennel is a godsend in case your Pups have to rehomed in an emergency.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Thats great that you found a kennel where the almighty quid is what rules them. A great kennel is a godsend in case your Pups have to rehomed in an emergency.

The vibe I get from Angie is that she does it for her love of dogs - she has an incredible rapport with all of the woofers in her care and I have seen it first hand

Lilith Cherry
07-19-2007, 11:12 PM
:D Glad the dogs are happy and settled in at the Kennels... now you go off and enjoy China as much as I do for ten months of the year, Have FUN!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Flight was delayed so rang kennels from Heathrow - it took my boys about 10 minutes to make themselves at home and apparently they are "wonderful dogs and a pleasure to look after".....

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
apparently they are "wonderful dogs and a pleasure to look after".....

You didn't know that, Denise ;) :D ???

JenBKR
07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
it took my boys about 10 minutes to make themselves at home and apparently they are "wonderful dogs and a pleasure to look after".....

So basically the complete opposite of when they are home.... ;)

pitc9
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM

LOL!!!!
:D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-23-2007, 08:08 PM

That's my boys!! :D