PDA

View Full Version : 7-20-07 Update #42 On Kittens Found In Dumpster

Pawla
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
:mad: My neighbor just knocked on my door with a box containing two tiny kittens. Someone had put them in the dumpster where he works! :mad: They are covered in feces, and screaming their heads off! Does anyone know anybody in the Knoxville, Tennessee area that fosters? If you do please PM me. I have to go tend to them, but I'll be checking my messages. The smallest of the two has a protrusion under his tail. I don't know if he needs to go to the bathrom or what. Someone please tell me what to do!

aki
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
awwwwwwwwwww! i hope they're ok.

maybe an emergency vet trip first might be in order?

will pray for the little ones

~Aki

Pawla
07-05-2007, 04:19 PM
awwwwwwwwwww! i hope they're ok.

maybe an emergency vet trip first might be in order?

will pray for the little ones

~Aki
They're eating like little pigs! My boyfriend is on his way over now.

aki
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
oh good!

how big are they?

poor little things! :(

Pawla
07-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I would say four to five weeks. What's sad is they were in a Humane Society box. They sure are loud!

catmandu
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
It Sounds As Though The One Kitten Is Constipated. I Would Wash Her Bottom Carefully With A Warm Cloth And Clean Her To See If You Can Get Things Moving, The Way A Momma Cat Would.
We Are Praying For Those Babies.
The Momma Pet Angels Are Flying In To Help.

Pawla
07-05-2007, 04:33 PM
It Sounds As Though The One Kitten Is Constipated. I Would Wash Her Bottom Carefully With A Warm Cloth And Clean Her To See If You Can Get Things Moving, The Way A Momma Cat Would.
We Are Praying For Those Babies.
The Momma Pet Angels Are Flying In To Help.
I'm about to try that. One has already peed in the litter box I gave it. I really need to find someone to take them! Squeak is not happy!

Pawla
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Okay. I just got off the phone with the humane society, they won't take them. :mad: :mad: :mad: They told me to call animal control I don't want to do that.

Catty1
07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Pawla, have a look here - might be a place to help you!

http://www.pgaa.com/tennessee.html

http://muttcats.com/shelters/tennessee.htm

http://www.arfnets.org/

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Can you contact any of the places listed on this site?? It says Knoxville, TN

http://www.peacefulkingdom.org/

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
This place sounds nice too...
http://www.blountcountyhumanesociety.org/new_and_events.htm

Pawla
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I was on my way to the Young Williams Animal Center and passed a vets office. I remembered a former patient of mine works there. I stopped, and spoke to her. She came outside to take a look, and took one inside with her. He had a protrusion under his tail. The doctor said it looked like a hernia, but he also had no back toes. Anyway, they kept them both! They were going to clean them up, check them for everything, and find them homes! :D I feel so much better about leaving them there, as I know they will be cared for. I would've loved to have kept them, but I still haven't seen Squeak. She is MAD!!! Thanks so much guys for all your help. PTers are truly a special breed of people!

momcat
07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Huge sigh of relief over here. Great news that the vet's office will give them medical attention and find furever homes for the babies. You did a good and wonderful thing, bless you!

kb2yjx
07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
A WHEW from this part of NJ!! You did a good thing!! Squeak's nose may be out a joint for a bit, but a few treats and attention should do the trick!!! HOORAY FOR PAWLA!!!!

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
He had a protrusion under his tail. The doctor said it looked like a hernia, but he also had no back toes.
Goodness... no toes?! Did he think it was a birth defect of some kind?!

I still haven't seen Squeak. She is MAD!!!
Poor Squeak, but she will get over it. She just needs to understand that you were trying to help out another kitty. She should be proud of you, not mad!

Catty1
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
What a relief! :)

Pawla
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Goodness... no toes?! Did he think it was a birth defect of some kind?!

Poor Squeak, but she will get over it. She just needs to understand that you were trying to help out another kitty. She should be proud of you, not mad!
THANKS TO EVERYONE! The vet wasn't sure at this point. He was much smaller than the other one, so I don't know if maybe he was a runt. His little bottom didn't look normal. It almost looked as if it was closed up. I'm sure this was not the case, or he wouldn't have made it to the age he is. I am going to call tomorrow to check on them. They were going to get a bath tonight, as they had poop all over them. Tomorrow the tests start, and deworming. They ate a whole can of Fancy Feast! That was all I had, and I knew they were starving! Squeak is fine now, but she DID NOT like those little screamin' critters in her house! I definitely feel better about leaving them at a vet's office, rather than the Animal Center. At least I know they will be well cared for! I just don't know how someone can be so heartless! :mad:

krazyaboutkatz
07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm so glad that the vets office can help them.:) Please update us about them when you can.

Pawla
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm so glad that the vets office can help them.:) Please update us about them when you can.
I will keep everyone posted! I tried to take pictures, but they were moving so much that the pics were blurry. I needed someone to hold them so I could get a photo. They were soooo cute! I would've loved to have kept the white one with black spots! It's funny how you are with them a short time, but their personalities give them names. Tiny and Kitty Cow. Cow for short.

LuckyNumber7
07-05-2007, 08:49 PM
If in the future you find yourself in a similar situation (I hope not though!) The rescue group that I work for is based out of Tennessee, and I know many wonderful volunteers in that area. The kittens that I foster here are all from Tennessee and come from a wonderful friend of mine who bottle feeds them in her home and cares for them until they are old enough to be adopted out - I'd gladly give you her info if you need help in the future :)

Pawla
07-05-2007, 09:11 PM
If in the future you find yourself in a similar situation (I hope not though!) The rescue group that I work for is based out of Tennessee, and I know many wonderful volunteers in that area. The kittens that I foster here are all from Tennessee and come from a wonderful friend of mine who bottle feeds them in her home and cares for them until they are old enough to be adopted out - I'd gladly give you her info if you need help in the future :)
I hope I don't find myself in a similar situation, either. I will keep your name in mind, though. Thank you so much! Where in Tennessee is your friend located?

jazzcat
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh my gosh Pawla I didn't realize you were in Knoxville, so am I! A close to me PTer!!!! :)

I'm so glad it worked out well for you and the kittens. I'm going to send you a PM to find out just how close of neighbors we are.

catmandu
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
PAWLA THERE ARE TWO GOLD STARS BY YOUR NAME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOR HELPING THOSE TWO KITTENS FIND A PLACE WHERE THEY HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE TO BE ADOPTED.
YOU ARE A HEROINE TO THE FOUND CATS AND MYSELF AND EL AND HIS FAMILY ARE GLOWING WITH PRIDE AT THE GOOD DEED HIS GUARDIAN HAS DONE. WE ARE ALL SO PROUD OF YOU.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/th_mikebed.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=1181339640.pbw)

Pawla
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I just got off the phone with the vet that took the kittens. They are both doing well. They have been cleaned, and wormed. She said they were eating like crazy! No tests for other things yet, but that will come soon. They are to keep me posted, so I will do the same with you guys! Thanks again!

jazzcat
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
That is a great update! I'm glad they are doing well.

Pawla
07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
The vets office called this morning. The kittens are doing remarkably well. They tested negative for feline leukemia, and aids. They did have ear mites, and worms, both of which have been taken care of. She said that their age is about four weeks. They will be ready for adoption in two weeks. I will keep you all updated as I hear.

Taz_Zoee
07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
That is great!! I am so glad they were brought to you. :D

Pawla
07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
That is great!! I am so glad they were brought to you. :D
Thank you! I'm just glad I was able to help them. The people at the vets office are the real heroes! I don't know what I would've done without them! My boyfriend is trying to talk me in to adopting the black and white one, since I already named him. His name is Kitty Cow, Cow for short. I would LOVE to have him, but Squeak would have a cow!

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm so glad to hear that they're both doing well.:) I bet that if you introduce the black and white kitten to Squeak very slowly that he'd learn to accept the little kitten.;) In my experience kittens are much easier to introduce than an adult cat.

jazzcat
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
My boyfriend is trying to talk me in to adopting the black and white one, since I already named him. His name is Kitty Cow, Cow for short. I would LOVE to have him, but Squeak would have a cow!
Have you tried bringing another cat in with Squeak before? I thought Ripley would be the same way and that is why he was my only cat for 10 years but he actually did quite well. With the proper introduction you might be surprised at how well it goes. None of my cats love each other (except the siblings) but they manage to all live together.

moosmom
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Pawla,

Ya know what?? I'll bet you adopt that lil black and white one, Kitty Cow (LOVE that name!!!) Squeaks will get used to him. Kittens do very well when incorporating them into your household. I have 4 adult cats and recently adopted Lexi June. It was a breeze!!

Kudos to you, Pawla for a job well done!! ;)

Pawla
07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Have you tried bringing another cat in with Squeak before? I thought Ripley would be the same way and that is why he was my only cat for 10 years but he actually did quite well. With the proper introduction you might be surprised at how well it goes. None of my cats love each other (except the siblings) but they manage to all live together.
I did bring Baby in. She ended up staying with my ex-husband. They got along okay, but nothing to write home about. I know she was not happy at all when I brought those kittens inside last week. She stayed hid in the closet for two hours, after they were gone.

Catty1
07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Well...you would have to have Kitty Cow separated in a room away from Squeak. A new kitty does have to be introduced gradually.

When you brought Baby in, did you separate her at first?

Not trying to nag - just thinking there might be a way to do this, especially with a young kitten. :)

Pawla
07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Kudos to you, Pawla for a job well done!!

Thank you so much! :D At least they have a chance now. I would love to have him, and the adoption fee is only forty dollars. I just don't know what I would do if Squeak was unhappy. I would feel as if I'd betrayed her.

Pawla
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Well...you would have to have Kitty Cow separated in a room away from Squeak. A new kitty does have to be introduced gradually.

When you brought Baby in, did you separate her at first?

Not trying to nag - just thinking there might be a way to do this, especially with a young kitten. :)
No I didn't have to seperate them, as we lived in a HUGE apartment. We just really didn't see Squeak for about a month, then she started making appearances. I just felt like she felt like I had done this awful thing.

jazzcat
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
We just really didn't see Squeak for about a month, then she started making appearances. I just felt like she felt like I had done this awful thing.
Been there done that for sure. I had a very hard time when I brought Scout in with Jazz and Ripley but what made it harder was Scout was close to a year old so trying to introduce cat to cats is much harder than kitten to cats.

Rip, Jazz and Scout really got their nose out of joint when I introduced Rocky and Rumor but it was easier since they were kittens. Same thing with Moxie and Decker last fall. The key is to keep the newbie in a room for a few days to a week (depending on how it's going) and slowly introduce them. Let Squeak sniff the kitten under the door and let her sniff a blanket that the kittens been sleeping with. It really does help. They might not be friends at first but you never know, Squeak might surprise you. Another thing that helps is to put the kitten in a large cage or kennel and let Squeak get used to it that way. I did that with both R&R and M&D and it made them feel safer.

As for her getting upset, hiding or pouting. Rumor did that with Moxie and Decker and quit talking so much but the past few months she has returned to her old talkative self. I felt guilty too but it worked out.

I'm not trying to pressure you in any way. ;) :D

Pawla
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Been there done that for sure. I had a very hard time when I brought Scout in with Jazz and Ripley but what made it harder was Scout was close to a year old so trying to introduce cat to cats is much harder than kitten to cats.

Rip, Jazz and Scout really got their nose out of joint when I introduced Rocky and Rumor but it was easier since they were kittens. Same thing with Moxie and Decker last fall. The key is to keep the newbie in a room for a few days to a week (depending on how it's going) and slowly introduce them. Let Squeak sniff the kitten under the door and let her sniff a blanket that the kittens been sleeping with. It really does help. They might not be friends at first but you never know, Squeak might surprise you. Another thing that helps is to put the kitten in a large cage or kennel and let Squeak get used to it that way. I did that with both R&R and M&D and it made them feel safer.

As for her getting upset, hiding or pouting. Rumor did that with Moxie and Decker and quit talking so much but the past few months she has returned to her old talkative self. I felt guilty too but it worked out.

I'm not trying to pressure you in any way. ;) :D
Thanks! I'll just have to give it some thought. I live in a 705 sq ft apartment, so we would all be close. I had the kittens on my deck, in a box. They were only carried in the front door, and out the patio door. She hid for what seemed like forever!

jazzcat
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Squeak does sound pretty sensitive.

Maybe your boyfriend would want to adopt the kitten, LOL. :D

Pawla
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Squeak does sound pretty sensitive.

Maybe your boyfriend would want to adopt the kitten, LOL. :D
It took his Boo six months before she would even allow Buddy to come upstairs! Then, she peed everywhere for about six more months! :eek: He just wants ME to take the kitty.

catmandu
07-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I Think Squeak Would Do A Lot Better With A Kitten Than A Cat. She Would Grumble And Hide At First But I Think That They Would Reach A Detente.
Just Think Of Your Cat Dynamic Duo Photos!!!!!!!!!

Pawla
07-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Just Think Of Your Cat Dynamic Duo Photos!!!!!!!!!LOL! We would have to get them together, first!

Pawla
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
The vet's office just called. It seems that the smallest kitten had to be PTS this morning. :( They said he was bleeding rectally, and internally. This is the one that had the protrusion under his tail, and no back toes. They said he had been doing well up until two days ago, and he just took a turn for the worse. Cow, however, is doing very well. I just feel sorry for him because he lost his brother. He's got to be wondering where he went. Just everyone keep fingers, and paws crossed for Kitty Cow. THANKS!

jazzcat
07-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the little guy. Rest in Peace sweet kitty.

Maybe this means Cow needs to come live with you so he won't be lonely. ;) :D :p Surely if you explain to Squeak that he losts his little brother she would soften up.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Poor little guy! Those babies can take a turn for the worse so quickly!

Maybe you need to get Kitty Cow and do the slow intro for Squeak.

Do you have any pics of Squeak?? I don't remember seeing her. :o

Pawla
07-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Do you have any pics of Squeak?? I don't remember seeing her.

Don't let the sweet face fool you! Don't get me wrong, she's very sweet to me, she just hates everyone, and everything else!

Pawla
07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Surely if you explain to Squeak that he losts his little brother she would soften up.

I'm not so sure she would. She can be very hateful sometimes. She used to torment Ellie, and he was seven when we found her. He was a very calm kitty, so he never tried to hurt her. If she had his personality, there would be no question! I would have to kitten proof my home. I can just see my leather furniture with those little sharp claws! :eek:

catmandu
07-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Can you try Cow Kitty for a few weeks and see if they have any chemistry. Squeak might hiss at a Kitten but I dont think she would hurt Cow Kitten.
And that Eternal Kitten has been christened Pawlee in your honor and has been officially adopted by Elle, Almond Roca Baton and thier Expanding Family of Eternal Angels.
They will make the announcement at The All Pet Angel Fly In Movies tonight.

Kalei
07-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Yay I"m so glad that the little kitties are at a vet. Such a safe and healthy place to be and they will make sure the kittens get good homes:)

I hope Squeak gets better soon.

rg_girlca
07-22-2007, 02:08 PM
[COLOR=Green]Yay I"m so glad that the little kitties are at a vet. Such a safe and healthy place to be and they will make sure the kittens get good homes:)

Sadly, one of the kittens took a turn for the worse and had to be PTS. :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, but relieved that he went peacefully to the RB, knowing that someone did care.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for little Cow Kitten.

Pawla
07-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I hope Squeak gets better soon.
Squeak is fine. She's just grouchy if I bring someone, or another animal in. The smallest of the two kittens had to be PTS. He had some health issues.