PDA

View Full Version : If you've ever dyed your hair a 'funky' color...

Suki Wingy
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Please post/send pics and a short description of how you did it, what brand/s you used, and a rating of the product. If you don't mind, I'm going to use it for my new site, which will be tips, reviews of brands of dye, how to, and an insperation gallery for anyone thinking of dying their hair.
I'm going to put google ads on it in order to supply the "eva wants a horse" fund.
I have a goal of enough to buy a horse from canter (http://www.canterusa.org/) by this time next summer.

Anyone that would like to be featured in they layout/ header for the site, please mention it.

This is the domain I'll be using
OrinocoPhoto.com (http://orinocophoto.com)

Suki Wingy
07-06-2007, 11:04 PM
bump!

Hellow
07-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Great idea for a website!

Suki Wingy
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
bump? Come on I know there are several people who helped me out on my best brands thread....

jennielynn1970
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Ok... well, I did purple when I was 13 or 14 and into my Billy Idol punk rock phase. But I did go to a Salon and had everything done there. I had my hair cut really short and spiky and then dyed purple. It was pretty cool for the 80's., lol.

I had done my own haircoloring for a few years (I had started to get grays when I was about 24ish), and so used boxed color. The last time I used a box color, I used L'Oreal's True Brunette colors. Turns out that it's meant for women of color, and not for us white girls who have brunette colored hair. It's pretty strong and strips the hair a good deal so if you do have dark hair, it won't go orange. However, if you're a brunette with light skin, it really makes you more dark blonde. Not what I wanted.

I stick to the salons, although even they make mistakes.

The one girl at Home Depot (the construction/supply store) has really dark black hair which I think is fake, and also this construction orange streaking in it at the front. It is really pretty cool!

moosmom
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Yup, every 90 days!! :p Natural Blonde Preference by L'Oreal, cuz I'm worth it! :rolleyes: :p

k9krazee
07-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Eva, I'm heading out of town right now, but I'd be willing to send you pictures and a rating when I get back. :)

Suki Wingy
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
what sounds better for a domain
iridescent-shades.net
clever-shades.net
daft-like-jack.net

The site is called "Shades" and the catch phrase thingy is Subtlety is overrated.

NoahsMommy
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I like the clever-shades.net

But usually you'll have to use an underscore, so it'll be:

clever_shades.net

:)

I normally go to salons...but now I'm thinking. One time I did dye my hair to save $$ and I used one of those new kits that have the base color ("with tonal color variation") and then hi-lights in a second step. Whoa...yea, I did that and ended up looking like my Orange Maine Coone!!! I had to spend $300 at my regular salon to get it all out and to have my hair colored to look normal!! I had to go darker to cover what I'd done!!

I can expand on this and give you the product I used, if this will help your site.

Is this what you're looking for??

tikeyas_mom
07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I have infact dyed my hair a couple different wacky colors... But not on purpose :rolleyes: . I once had my hair copper brown for the winter, and I didnt like it anymore come summertime, so I had the genious idea to put Bleach Blonde dy in my hair to tone it down a few shades... Well little did I know that when you put Bleach Blonde into brown hair it turns BRIGHT ORANGE!! Like Pumpkin orange, no word of a lie.. It cost around 200$ to get it back to my natural color (Dirty blonde).

I have also had a bad misshape with other dys in the past, once Turning my hair Gray/green color using a dy with ALOT of Ash tones... That was a fun color to get out (NOT).. :o
Now I dont trust those box dys, I rather just spend a bit of extra money and get it done prefessionally at the salone.. So if there is a screw up, its not my fault ;)

Suki Wingy
07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
NoahsMommy- that would be helpful. :)

Most salons only have a limited color selection, and since it can get so pricey I believe with a little trial and error (0r a lot) you can get it just as good. People tell me they are surprised when I tell them I do my own hair. This is what I have right now, my favorite yet.

Enchanted Forest (http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/enchantedforest.html)

CathyBogart
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I dye my hair with Manic Panic whenever I get the chance. My only complaint is that it washes out really fast. Aside from that, it's easy to use, the color is really vibrant, and it washed out rather....gracefully, I guess...at every stage in the fading it still looks nice. I have pictures SOMEWHERE but I'm dreadful at sorting my pictures so I'll have to dig and see if I can find them.

Suki Wingy
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
What colors do you usually use?

Roxyluvsme13
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Ooh. I don't have pics from it but I got blonde highlights about 4 years ago and they turned out rather orange xD.

Good luck with your site, I like daft-like-jack.net but since it's a hair coloring site I'd say clever-shades.net :p.

Suki Wingy
07-13-2007, 11:53 PM
When my orinocophoto.com domain expires this fall I think I'm replacing it with daft-like-jack.net but I don't know if I should use that for my "shades" site too or have a seperate one. Maybe I'll just use the daft one and if my site grows considerably then I'll buy it's own. A forum would also be a good addition.

CathyBogart
07-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Right now I have Red Passion in.

Suki Wingy
07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Nice. I plan on copying a girl I saw at the zoo- Tigerlily, purple haze, and some kind of red. It'll be hard because the red and purple will keep running onto the tigerlily. I plan on applying to be in the Best of the Best for After Midnight Blue and Enchanted Forest. My dye job/ pics are just as good.

cloverfdx
07-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Ohh i love some of the colours on the ManicPanic/ best of the best website, how pretty :D.

Blue Dragonfly
07-31-2007, 06:53 AM
hey, i just saw this thread, and i would do anything for someone with a bunny as cute as oslo. lol. ok i have used a bunch of semi permanent dyes, but i dont remember them that well, cause it was a while ago.

I found the best hair dye by accident. i got red streaks through my hair at the hair dresser, and of course, they turn bleach blond very quickly. then went to the hair house warehouse and they told me about this product that would put the colour back in.

It is called paint box and it only really dyes the lightened hair, so you just get bleached foils and then use the paintbox colour of your choice. your normal hair looks the same and the lightened bits are so vibrant. i highly recommend it. it is semi permanent, but it last longer than getting it done at the hairdressers. plus, you can choose a new colour when it is time to top up.

Go here for colours and more info.

http://www.fudge.com/fudge/main/index.php?select=semi-permanent&ID=23&MID#