PDA

View Full Version : I hate British Airways (not my neighbors)

Barbara
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, today I have to rant on a broad screen: some of you may know that we have been travelling recently. We went from Munich to Montreal via London Heathrow. We had three bags. When we arrived in Montreal, all 3 bags were missing. About 15 passengers of our flight missed at least one bag. There were some guys going to a bike race. You know they wanted to do the race, not just watching. Well- they didn't have any bikes.
For us it was only all our stuff- toothpaste and underwear included.
The first two bags arrived after two days. The third took ten days, so we hadn't sent it after us (we were in the US by then anyway). We picked it up at the airport and sent it back with our flight back.
In between this were about 20 phone calls. Mainly they only want you to address their websites- but while you are travelling you are not always online. But the call-center I ended in one time was in North Dakota - and the lady wanted that I spell "Ottawa" for her :eek:

Ok, on the way back we had 4 bags - of course we had to buy some sruff new, like a fleece, a bathing suit and underwear for my husband- stuff having been in the 3rd bag.
And -lo and behold- here we are back in Munich since last Saturday and not one single bag has arrived. Here there is not even a call-center in North Dakota, or the Philippines or whatever- it is only the website. For 3 of our bags it gave some cryptic news saying
SENT ROAD ETA 2200 4 July LIN
If you click on LIN you hear that this is Milan airport (in Italy). As we have the 5th today I wrote a mail to them asking what's it all about. The answer said it is an automatically generated mail and I can't answer back and that our luggage has been sent by road (!!!!!!) to Milan (that would be like sending it to Los Angeles when it's needed in Phoenix) and they will notify me when it will be delivered. They said also "Sorry for the inconvenience but we are dealing with 20000 bags missing."

Now :confused: :confused: :confused:
I am completely at a loss of words. In Canada we had to buy additional underwear shirts- and even a shaver for my legs. Now the double amount of all this is on the road to Milan. Somehow it doesn't make sense to buy it all a 3rd time- even if I am collecting the invoices.
And there is no word of the 3rd bag yet- not even "on the road to Milan"
:mad: :mad: :mad:

What I can guarantee is: I will never again book a flight where I have to change at Heathrow and never again fly with BA. That's the globalized desert of service.

RICHARD
07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I am completely at a loss of words. In Canada we had to buy additional underwear shirts- and even a shaver for my legs.

I know what you are feeling.
I just had to buy a 'shaver' for the Edster! :rolleyes:

-------------

When ever I travel, which is rarely, but IF I HAVE TO...

I take a few essentials and pack them into my "Stand By Me" bag.

A pair of undies, undershirts and socks.

IT doesn't make up for having all your stuff missing, but it give you a chance at clean underwear!

-----------

Sorry about the "OTTAWA" thing.....They stopped teaching goegraphy in the U.S. schools a while ago!

lizbud
07-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Sounds to me like a giant conspiracy between the airlines & retailers ;)
That would drive me bonkers too. ;)

Catsnclay
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Oh Barbara!

I am SO sorry you had to go through all of that!! But Richard is right, we always travel with a bag we carry on, and in that bag is medications, jewlery, toothbrushes, etc and a change of undies!

And on top of all the lost bags, they want you to come and sit in the airport for 2-3 hours before your flight leaves :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Sorry about the "OTTAWA" thing.....They stopped teaching goegraphy in the U.S. schools a while ago!

Not just geography, but they have really only been focusing on PHONICS in school, so they just spell things the way they sound.

Sad but true.

crow_noir
07-06-2007, 01:03 AM
And people wonder why i won't "fly."

That's somewhere on my top five reasons why i won't go by commercial plane.

Killearn Kitties
07-06-2007, 04:46 AM
:D Ah you're pushing at an open door there, Barbara!

I loathe and detest BA. Have not used them in many many years. I loathe and detest Heathrow. I will not go through it if any other route is available - and there is always another route available. Having said that, I have never had an experience quite as bad as yours. I am somewhat baffled about your luggage, if it is coming by road they could at least bring it straight to your door! ;)

Did you have a good holiday?

cassiesmom
07-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Air travel has changed a lot.

Edwina's Secretary
07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
The recent security restrictions make it so difficult to carry on toiletries that I now check everything...and hate it. I don't trust the airlines but refuse to try and comply with the 3-1-1 for carry on.

Milan...they have to drive right past you to get to Milan....maybe the truck can slow down and you can grab your luggage?

Randi
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
What a nuisance! I hope you get your things soon - and some compensation.

You should think they could at least get your bags to Munchen!

I have luckily never had any bags missing.

Russian Blue
07-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm glad to see you made it safely home Barbara. Sorry to hear about the continued luggage saga.....how annoying!

I felt so bad for her when she phoned me. She first talked about the missing luggage, then had car trouble. It wasn't a good beginning for the Canadian part of her tour.

But I'm sure the Algonquin experience (and food) at least made up for some of the mishaps. The mosquitoes, though, are a total different story. ;)

crow_noir
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
They said also "Sorry for the inconvenience but we are dealing with 20000 bags missing."

Did you see the news? ...

Airline loses 20,000 pieces of luggage as delays worsen
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1060332007

BA acts to clear bags backlog
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/6e057932-2c22-11dc-b498-000b5df10621.html

Barbara
07-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Thank you Crow- that's what I wanted to know!
They got themselves in a big mess there.
Still no news.
When I manage to download pictures I will show you that all the rest of the Canadian experience was just a dream.
And now a cliffhanger: Guess which kitties we got to see and snuggle with?

Killearn Kitties
07-07-2007, 03:52 AM
If it is who we spoke about before you went away, I will be too jealous ever to speak to you again.

;) :D

And I will need A MILLION pictures.

auggie
07-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Since you flew to Montreal could it be Lorraine’s kitties?
I’m extremely jealous as well.
Barbara, I’m so sorry you had all that trouble with BA.
I never had my luggage lost, but also never flew on BA.
I hope you had travelers insurance.
Did you take any pictures? I hope your camera didn’t get lost

Uabassoon
07-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I had problems with them as well when I flew into London last summer. I had to wear the same outfit for three days because my bag was lost! The also told me that when my bag came in they would deliver it to my hostel and gave my a number to call and check up on my bag. The following day Alexa and I kept calling, we kept getting a busy signal, the one time we finally got through we were on hold for 45 minutes and we had to hang up because our calling card was about to expire. We finally just had to hop on the tube and go back to the airport, thankfully by then my bag was there.

Barbara
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Bag not there- but about the cliffhanger: Just look at the map and look how far some US states are from Montreal ;)