PDA

View Full Version : Durable Dog Toys?

emc
07-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Anyone know of any dog toys that will be difficult for a dog to destroy? My dog wrecks everything she gets. The only thing that hasn't been wrecked apart yet is a nylabone, but they're expensive. She got a plush toy specifically made for dogs, my brother thought she wouldn't be able to rip it but there's already a rip in the seam!

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
http://dogshop.50webs.com

theterrierman
07-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd recommend a black Kong. The black ones are invincible. My neighbours used to have a bulldog/pit mix that could destroy the red ones in a matter of days, but the black kongs would last her quite a while.

Taz_Zoee
07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Here (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5426&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026207&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1183646633752&itemNo=29&Nao=24&In=Dog&N=2026207&Ne=2) is what we have for Zoee. We got it for her when we first got her (two years ago) and she just chews and chews on this thing and it squeaks from her teeth. It doesn't break off in pieces and it only has so little teeth marks in it.
We thought we lost it so I bought her another one, then of course found the first one. So we will always have one of these on hand for years to come. :)

ratdogg
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
from my experience the black kongs are REALLY durable. but after looking at what taz_zoee uses I think those might be pretty good too. I like kongs cause you can stuff kibble and peanut butter inside them.

Giselle
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Kevlar. I think bullet proof material is pretty darn strong ;)

Just google Kevlar dog toy or check ebay. There was a supplier who made stuffed Kevlar toys. I only wish I'd bought one then because I can't find them now.

Seravieve
07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Well We have two of those Rhino bones.. They've both gotten eaten in this house. Zeke has STRONG jaws.. hes usually the one to make the initial damage, and then one of the other two with just sit there and nibble until its in pieces on the floor.

I - too - suggest the black Kongs. We have one that doesnt have a mark on it! We've had it..a year at least. We also have two of the Kongs that are in an "8" shape (http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Toys-Dental-Cleaner-Medium/dp/B000PSNNIS/ref=sr_1_16/103-3700963-9488655?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1183690320&sr=8-16) .. with ridges on the outside of them.. and they have some damage done to the ridges.. but nothing serious. Other than that... Racket balls seem to hold up well.. Eli loves balls and loves to chew them.. and he hasnt ruined one yet. Another toy.. It was like a $13 ball but it has held up the best... We got it at the Discovery Channel store.. I cant find it online anywhere..

Toys that have failed the Zeke/Bunny/Eli test.. Giggler Ball (http://www.amazon.com/Giggler-Balls-J-W-Pet/dp/B0002DJWVS) (5 minutes with Zeke and it was broke), countless tennis balls, stuffed animals (with and without squeakers), tug-o-war ropes, frisbees, squeaky rubber balls, nylabones, Rubber ducks (They lasted a while with Bunny.. Eli came along and chewed off their heads.. Beak first.).. The list could go on and on... =)

Its so frustrating to keep spending money and the toy lasts maybe 20 minutes. I know how it is. =)

crow_noir
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
A lacrosse ball. Look to shell out about $8. I guarantee though that it will last. My friend's lab is the same way. The black Kong they got for it two years ago already has more wear on it than the lacrosse ball he got for her five years ago. We were in the sporting good store and i suggested he get it for her. He didn't want to because it was expensive, she destroys everything, and it wasn't a dog toy. I assured him it would be one of the best purchases he ever made for her... Him and his parents are grateful yet to this day.

Just make sure it is an official regulation lacrosse ball and not some knock off.

(I suggest hockey balls for the intermittent chewers. Depending on which type of hockey ball depends on how it would compare to which Kong. Just about any of them would hold up nicely though.)

Anyone know of any dog toys that will be difficult for a dog to destroy? My dog wrecks everything she gets.

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-06-2007, 12:26 AM
We had a Rhino bone, but Tango broke it in half in a matter of two minutes and also got a couple of chunks out of it.

The only things that hold up with my guys are Orbee balls (the balls only, none of their other products) and black Kongs. Nothing overly soft. Tango is very gentle with her stuffed toys and has never wrecked any, but the other dogs rip any kind (even ones that are supposed to be durable) of stuffed toy apart in seconds.

lizbud
07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The black Kong is the best for heavy/strong chewers. Buddy wore out
the red ones all the time, but the black ones are still around. Smokey &
Maggie don't like them at all.

Wahoo
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Dodge is really hard on toys and it's been difficult finding anything that will last more than a few minutes. I found a firehose dog toy some months ago and thought we'd try it. It is made out of real firehose and it has two squeekers, one at each end, excellent stitching. He has crushed squeeky but the other still makes pitiful sounds. What amazes me is that there is not so much as a toothmark in the material and I can assure you he has diligently tried to remove the squeekers. He carries this thing everywhere-running, camping, swimming (it floats) and to bed. I highly recommend this toy!

Hard Core Firehose dog toy- I found a few places to order online, a search should yield you a good source if you want to try it.