PDA

View Full Version : For Wom and others of our....era LOL!

Pam
07-05-2007, 05:37 AM
This thread is sort of a spin-off of the *Water and Coke* thread (which I started to hijack :o ) so I think this topic deserves its own thread. The following lyrics are by a new country singer on the scene, named Bucky Covington and I liked this song the minute I heard it. It does bring back memories but they were good ones. :)

It Was A Different World
We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead-based paint
No childproof lids
No seatbelts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets
and still here we are
Still here we are

We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside
Playing outside

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same everyday
the pledge of allegiance, then someone would pray
not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed but that was alright

We turned out alright

It was a different life
It was a different world

No bottled water
We'd drink from a garden hose
And every Sunday,
All the stores were closed.

It was a different life
It was a different world

It was a different life
It was a different world

It was a different world

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ggCZge2dL.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2007, 05:54 AM
I'm a youngster like you.......

Remember the days when you went out to play with your friends in the morning and went home in the evening when you were hungry.........no phone calls or texts to Mum and Dad in those days

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 05:59 AM
And all so very true.
A different world ???? Most definately. So I don't mind at all being the age I am........because I lived through that time.........and it was GREAT !!!
(One thing tho, that poem never mentioned that I used to do a lot of....throw rocks at girls !!! I did lots of that !!!! :D )
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm a youngster like you.......

Remember the days when you went out to play with your friends in the morning and went home in the evening when you were hungry.........no phone calls or texts to Mum and Dad in those days

Nope....don't remember those days BM !!!! You must be over 100 !!!! :eek:
Wom

Pam
07-05-2007, 06:25 AM
(One thing tho, that poem never mentioned that I used to do a lot of....throw rocks at girls !!! I did lots of that !!!! :D )
Wom

I imagine you learned over time that there were better ways to get the attention of the young ladies. :p

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Nope....don't remember those days BM !!!! You must be over 100 !!!! :eek:
Wom

Shhhhhhhhhhh :o

Daisy and Delilah
07-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Ahhhh! This is so true. I hear all the whining going on around us and I think back to those days. What has happened to the people in this country? Too bad we can't send some of those people back for a few days to live like we did just for an enlightening :)

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Ahhhh! This is so true. I hear all the whining going on around us and I think back to those days. What has happened to the people in this country? Too bad we can't send some of those people back for a few days to live like we did just for an enlightening :)

They wouldn't want to come back to now !!!!
Wom

jackmilliesmom
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey I am not that old and I remember those days and also days of going to the river to swim and being able to leave your togs on the bushes to dry while you went home to get something to eat and then coming back down and your togs, towel and bag you brought them in was there. Often I would go for a swim and leave my purse and towel and watch and clothes there without worrying about them being stolen

Freckles
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Had three TV channels you got up to change
I remember before TV so three channels were a big deal.
All the rest, so true! :)

Pam
07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
One of my favorite programs to watch on re-runs is Little House on the Prairie. Now, believe it or not, I was not around at the time of the setting of that program :p but I do think it must have been nice in a way. Of course they didn't have the conveniences that we have today with all of the technology and they also died of simple diseases that we have cures for today. There is good and bad to it all I guess.

Pam
07-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I remember before TV so three channels were a big deal.
All the rest, so true! :)

Our first TV was a tiny black and white little thing. :) My mom tells stories about sitting around the radio at night listening to programs.

moosmom
07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey I am not that old

I resemble that remark!! Just kidding.

I lived in the days when people from ALL walks of life could live in harmony (I was brought up in the projects) with no drugs, gunfire, violence. Boy times have sure changed, haven't they???

davidpizzica
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Wom, I can remember when bicycles had coaster brakes and one speed, YOU!I also remember whem telephone numbers had exchanges at the beginning not all numbers and the phones were one color, BLACK! and had the rotary dial. Those were the days, my friend!

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I imagine you learned over time that there were better ways to get the attention of the young ladies. :p

In an Australian sort of a way....yes.
Brody's Mom could probably warn you of the perils of associating with Aussies :D
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey I am not that old and I remember those days and also days of going to the river to swim and being able to leave your togs on the bushes to dry while you went home to get something to eat and then coming back down and your togs, towel and bag you brought them in was there. Often I would go for a swim and leave my purse and towel and watch and clothes there without worrying about them being stolen

Was that before or after the construction of stonehenge ???? :D
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I resemble that remark!! Just kidding.

I lived in the days when people from ALL walks of life could live in harmony (I was brought up in the projects) with no drugs, gunfire, violence. Boy times have sure changed, haven't they???

Yep, they have changed. The world has changed so much, and there will be no going back. Shame really.
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Wom, I can remember when bicycles had coaster brakes and one speed, YOU!I also remember whem telephone numbers had exchanges at the beginning not all numbers and the phones were one color, BLACK! and had the rotary dial. Those were the days, my friend!

I never got my first bike until I was twelve. Before that we made "Billy Carts" out of scavanged timber fruit boxes and old pram wheals from the local rubbish tip. Boy....I had some real prangs in those things falling apart half way down a big hill !!!! Plenty of skinned knees. LOL
Wom

momoffuzzyfaces
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm glad to see Bucky proving there is life after American Idol!!!

I remember when the stores used to all close on Sunday. I also remember a time when people didn't expect the world to change to suit them, they changed to make the best of the world they had. People were more tolerant of each other and saying "I Do" meant you really did and it really could last forever. :)

Pam
07-06-2007, 05:56 AM
[B][SIZE=3]I'm glad to see Bucky proving there is life after American Idol!!!

I didn't know he was on American Idol. :o Silly me. :p You know when I first heard this song I thought it was being sung by a much older man. His voice doesn't match his picture, although he is sure a handsome guy. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
In an Australian sort of a way....yes.
Brody's Mom could probably warn you of the perils of associating with Aussies :D
Wom

They always have to have the last word and are devils with your pink sequinned undies :eek:

sparks19
07-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I am only 26 and even I remember some times like that.... no bike helmets..... stores were closed on Sundays.... you went out to play in the morning and didn't come home till dinner time.... you didn't always make the team.... remember banana seats on your bike :D and handle bar tassels lol

Of course Bucky is only 30.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I didn't know he was on American Idol. :o Silly me. :p You know when I first heard this song I thought it was being sung by a much older man. His voice doesn't match his picture, although he is sure a handsome guy. :)
I saw that video the other day and thought his voice sounded lots deeper than it did on American Idol. It's lots better. I wondered if it was because it was recorded in a studio where they can do lots of things to the voice. I always liked him on American Idol though. :D

karyn674
07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I do not live in the US and some things I remember them myself, Shops here todate still close on Sundays!!

One thing that simply astonish me is time! Seems like time had a different VALUE!? Like before in a day you could easily get bored now.............you rush from one thing to another!

I remember school holidays, with the bicycle (what helmet??????? still it is non obligatory!!) till 1 in the morning!!! And everyone on the street with the key in the lock....so you don't bother to ring the bell you open and shout out the name of the occupant!

Well I know that we still are a relatively safe place on earth but we're having problems now .........too many illigal imigrants!!!! I'm not a racist but I heard a story which well quite shocked me. Before you get married the girls make a hen's party and the boys prepare a bachelor's party. As always the boys go tend over the top. Normally they get the groom naked, tie him to somewere and eighter just leave him there for a couple of hours or so!!!!

One time they got this guy naked, tied him to the door of his mother in law and rang the Bell!!!!!!! lol

In this case his friends tied him to this monument on a roundabout, naked and left him there until they went for a coffee, when they came back in an hour or so they found this guy in desperation!!! He was raped by two emigrants!!!!!!! He did not get married.......just ended in a mental hospital for the time being.

wombat2u2004
07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
They always have to have the last word and are devils with your pink sequinned undies :eek:

Ah come on BM....tell the truth now.
You know you Brit chicks are crazy about us Aussie guys. I hear it all the time from my mates who return there from pillaging...I mean.......errrrrrrrr holidays. :D
Wom

RICHARD
07-07-2007, 05:01 PM
There is good and bad to it all I guess.

Especially that little biatch, Nelly Olson. :rolleyes:

---------------

Locally, some 13 year old kid just died after taking a header on his skateboard.

Those were the days....when you looked at a stunt and reminded yourself that it was too crazy....now every kid want to be a Stunt Idiot.

The interview with the kid's friend was very telling...He stated that they both thought helmeys weren't cool. He also kinda shrugged his shoulders and said that the chance this kid took "finally bit him".

I wonder if the kid knows he can hit the RESET button and start all over? :rolleyes: