View Full Version : This is so sad... Man shot trying to save dog

crow_noir
07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
IN - Saving dog was costly June 29, 2007

Saving dog was costly
Man recovering from 3 bullets thought he'd die in front of his kids

By Diana Penner
diana*DOT*penner*AT*indystar*DOT*com

When the three bullets slammed into his upper right chest, Michael Haynes was sure he was dying. But that wasn't the worst of it.

What brings tears to Haynes' eyes as he recounts the events of last weekend, what chokes off the words before he can speak them, is this: It was all happening in front of his five young children.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God. I'm going to die. I'm going to die in front of my kids," Haynes recalled thinking from his intensive care bed at Wishard Memorial Hospital. His words came out in a whisper as the memory overwhelmed him.

"I'm going to die in front of my kids for trying to do something right."

Haynes, 41, was trying to free a friendly neighborhood dog from the jaws of a pit bull.

A young man was walking the pit bull, on a leash, on Sunday afternoon in the 1200 block of Tecumseh Street about 3 p.m. Chase, the neighborhood dog, bounded up to play.

The tan pit bull tried to mount Chase, which the black-and-white male mixed-breed didn't appreciate. At that, the pit bull locked onto Chase's throat and began to violently shake the dog, Haynes said.

The pit bull's walker let the leash go slack and was laughing, Haynes said. As his children screamed, Haynes ran across the street and yelled at the man to get his dog under control.

"I said, 'Hey, man, get your dog off of him! Don't let your dog kill Chase!' " Haynes recalled. The young man, his face obscured by dark sunglasses and his body by an oversized shirt, said only, "I can't."

Haynes said it didn't seem the man was afraid he would get bitten if he tried to grab the dog by his collar, for instance. "He just didn't want to."

At one point, Haynes lifted Chase in his right arm and was trying to push the pit bull with his left when his wife, Stacy, ran up with a rolling pin and warned him he could get bitten himself.

Haynes said he brandished the rolling pin but never hit the dog with it. Stacy Haynes, meanwhile, had called 911 and was on the telephone with a dispatcher when events took a turn no one expected.

"I thought, he's going to get Chase free and then the dog is going to attack Michael, worst-case scenario," Stacy Haynes said.

The dog-walker turned away for an instant, and Haynes thought he was leaving. But when he turned back, he was holding a handgun he had pulled out of his waistband.

"He said, 'I told you not to touch my (expletive) dog!' And then he shot me."

Across the street, on the porch of the home that he, Stacy and their five children had moved into in March, his family watched, horrified. The children screamed hysterically.

The man with the dog took off. Chase ran off. Police arrived first, and then paramedics in an ambulance.

While Haynes recovers in the hospital, the couple's children -- Brittany, 10; Heaven, 6; Madyson, 5; Uriah, 4; and Noah, 3 -- are staying with relatives. Stacy Haynes has spent most of the week at the hospital, with her husband during visiting hours and in the family lounge overnight. Other family members regularly join them.

It's unclear when Haynes will be discharged, although he is improving. Doctors opted to leave the three bullets inside his body, including the one that ricocheted off a rib and lodged in his right lung.

Now Stacy doesn't worry that her husband won't live, but other worries are moving to the forefront.

For one, the children are traumatized by what they saw, so the Hayneses feel they have to move.

Also, Michael Haynes works for Rent-a-Center and doesn't know when he will be well enough to lift furniture.

Stacy Haynes is a stay-at-home mom. Michael Haynes does not have health insurance and is working with Wishard on a payment plan. But the family's finances could quickly become strained.

A fund to collect donations could be set up soon, though details are pending.

Police still are looking for the shooter and his dog. Haynes said he had never seen the man or the dog before, but neighbors have said they recognized him. The couple blame Chase's owners almost as much as the man with the gun, they said, because that dog should not have been loose.

Still, they said, Chase is at least friendly, whereas the pit bull was menacing him and the man didn't even try to loosen his dog's death grip. And nothing justified the shooting, the Hayneses said.

For now, they focus on recovery and are grateful for support they have received.

"Family, friends, just knowing that people are praying for him," Stacy Haynes said. "And it helps that every day I see him progressing a little bit more."

POLICE NEED INFORMATION
Anyone with information about the shooting of Michael Haynes on Sunday is asked to call Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department at (317) 327-3475 or CrimeStoppers at (317) 262-TIPS (262-8477).

Call Star reporter Diana Penner at (317) 444-6249.

Source: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/LOCAL/706290537/-1/LOCAL17

Shooting Victim Speaks Man recounts shooting during dog attack
June 29, 2007 04:28 PM PDT
Shooting victim speaks

Steve Jefferson/Eyewitness News

An Indianapolis father shot three times trying to rescue a neighborhood dog spoke to Eyewitness News. Michael Haynes talked about his family, the attempted rescue and the man who pulled the gun.

Eyewitnesses say the owner of dog opened fire as the victim's children watched.

Now, as Michael Haynes recovers from three gunshot wounds, he broke down in tears talking about missing his children. "I was on the ground thinking I was about to die in front of my kids," Haynes said.

His children watched him try to pull a pit bull off of another neighborhood dog named Chase.

The attack happened as the owner and the pit bull walked past Haynes' southeast side home.

The father of four says the pit attacked and he pleaded with the owner before intervening. "I just kept trying to appeal to his kindness, saying ‘you see this dog isn't causing your dog no injury.'"

At one point Haynes used a rolling pin in his hand to help stop the dog attack.

Police collected the gun shell casings and other evidence at the scene.

Now as he recovers from bullets that barely missed his heart, he hopes the shooter has the heart to surrender. "I urge him to turn himself in," Haynes said, "because once you start running it's hard to look back."

But more importantly, Michael Haynes wants nothing more than to reunite with his entire family. "I just want to get out of here and spend a little time with my kids."

Michael's release from the hospital is up in the air right now.
But he is sure he wants the man who shot him caught before he or his dog hurts someone else.

Metro Police say at this point no clue is too small. If you can help, call crime stoppers at 262-TIPS. And if your tip leads to recovery of the gun - it's an automatic $500 reward.

Source: http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6731057&nav=menu188_2

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 04:32 AM
OMG. Was that guy nuts or something ???? Pulling a gun out and shooting someone just like that !!!!!!
Thank God the victim is ok.
Wom

jackmilliesmom
07-05-2007, 04:43 AM
That seems to be a common occurrance these days people mad at others and just shoot don't think ask questions or anything they just shoot.

Randi
07-05-2007, 07:23 AM
It's really sad that some people with pitbulls can't or don't want to control them, and equally sad that a person (who is obviously a nutcase) is allowed to walk around in the streets with a gun. :( :( What is this world coming to! :rolleyes:

I hope the poor man recovers fully and will be be able to move to another area. The whole family will be marked by this forever. :(

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 07:43 AM
What is this world coming to! :rolleyes: (

Who knows ??? One thing is for sure, it ain't gonna be good !!!!
Wom

moosmom
07-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It IS a common occurrence these days. You just NEVER know who is armed and who isn't. I feel bad for that man and his family for having to endure such violence and witness it to boot.

I hope they find this piece of trash that shot him and throw the frigging book at him!!!

Giselle
07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Words fail me. There are so many things wrong with this picture.

The stupid idiot who shot Haynes did so because Haynes "touched his dog". I consider that a mental problem. He should not own a gun. I don't even understand why guns still exist in today's society.

Chase should not have been loose. And where is his family now? Why isn't Chase's family helping to pay for Haynes?

And why doesn't Haynes have health insurance? I'm assuming because it is too costly. So many things are wrong with this. I can't even express my disappointment and bewilderment. Hm. I'm off to watch Sicko now =(

lizbud
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
It's pitiful isn't it. :mad: They still have not cought the man or his dog.

theterrierman
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
And where is his family now? Why isn't Chase's family helping to pay for Haynes?

Who knows...they probably didn't care enough about the guy to help him out, just like they didn't care enough about their dog to keep it in the yard. Some people. And the a**wipe with the pit pisses me off. It's jerks like that who are why responsible owners can't even have the breed of their choice anymore.

wombat2u2004
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
It's jerks like that who are why responsible owners can't even have the breed of their choice anymore.

That is so very true !!!!
Wom