PDA

View Full Version : *sigh*...job...what do I do? Found info...

Catty1
07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I was just surfing a bit after winding up in tears again after a call from my boss. He had delivered a bunch of boxes to a courier, I had processed and emailed him the labels - and he was terse that there was no person's contact name or phone number on the labels.

I opened up the label, and informed him that there WAS a phone number. I have to use the info that the coordinator gives me, plus during the online shipping process the inidividual is sent an individual email to advise them the shipment is on its way.

Things have been better for a while...but this happens, and I flash back to the old days in no time. Not being paid up to date - though the company is seeking capital investment at the moment - I am one of the two old-timers left.

I was about ready to leave an hour ago. Not even mad. Just tired - especially tired of the following, which I found online....

A bad match between the demands of an on-going job and the individual’s resources and skills to handle those demands
• Taking serious responsibility without authority, recognition or appreciation :( ? :(
• Losing or lacking control over the things that need to get done :(
• Work and role overload :(
• Unclear functional goals as a steady diet :( :(
• Constant fire-fighting which seems useless or unnecessary :( ?
• Losing private time, all the time :(

I just don't wanna go back. I am looking for another job. Then will give my notice. Today I feel literally sick of working there.

Thanks for listening...

kitten645
07-04-2007, 01:31 AM
I left a 20 year job because I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. Go with your gut. If it's time to go, go. Think of it as an open door to something fabulous that you never even knew. I just started a job that is my perfect match in so many ways. Not saying it was easy but visualize what you want and it will fnd you. Work is such a huge part of life that it only makes sense it should fufill you and not drain you like your current situation seems too. Life is too short to spend tears and stress over work. Best of luck.
Kitten

jennielynn1970
07-04-2007, 02:02 AM
I was about ready to leave an hour ago. Not even mad. Just tired - especially tired of the following, which I found online....

A bad match between the demands of an on-going job and the individual’s resources and skills to handle those demands
• Taking serious responsibility without authority, recognition or appreciation :( ? :(
• Losing or lacking control over the things that need to get done :(
• Work and role overload :(
• Unclear functional goals as a steady diet :( :(
• Constant fire-fighting which seems useless or unnecessary :( ?
• Losing private time, all the time :(

A boss wrote that about you?? And they had it online?!

wombat2u2004
07-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Ah mate, you need to get out of there.
You have to get a job where you are happy and appreciated, somewhere that doesn't demand that you work out of hours.
Best of luck with that C......I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, hoping that you may find that special job ;)
Wom

catnapper
07-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Sunds like my last job, about 4 years ago. They were the reason I couldn't go to work for anybody else for a number of years... I was afraid that anything that went wrong would be balmed on me. I got blamed for other people's idiocy all the time! I can't tell you how many times I got accused of screwing up a project because the PROJECT MANAGER mis-measured, mis-ordered, and sent out the wrong guys for the job! Somehow it MY fault that I didn't force a bully into doing his job. :rolleyes: They used to joke that loads of people left my position and had nervous breakdowns. Seriously, they LAUGHED and JOKED about it! :mad:

Looking back, it wasn't worth the monthly salary. Nothing is worth being treated like that. Get out while you can to save your own sanity. You'll find a job, sooner or later. Be fresh for it, don't go in thinking of the misery you experience now.

Catty1
07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
JENN - no, my boss didn't write it! lol I found that list online myself, and it seemed to really fit what I was experiencing.

Thanks folks. Have to go to the office this morning.

This job is for a mag with a great vision...but I am just really tired of everything...ya know?

Freedom
07-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Candace, it sounds like you are ready for a change. Best wishes in the job search. You WILL find something different, not all places operate that way.

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I have to say, I loved this book. It deals with Personality Type Testing (Myers-Briggs), and when I used it (the old version) back in 1995 after having a friend recommend it to me, I really liked what I read and discovered about myself. I had a copy of it for a long time, and then the last person I lent it to never gave it back... grrrr.....

One hint... you cannot speed read this book, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/What-You-Are-Personality-Type-Revised/dp/0316880655

Book Description
For over 10 years Do What You Are has helped hundreds of thousands of people find the job that suits their personality type best. It lists the wide array of occupations that are popular with your personality type, including todays hottest career tracks in growth areas such as e-commerce, biotechnology, new media, and telecommunications. Throughout, the authors provide savvy career advice and highlight the strengths and pitfalls of each personality type with real-life examples.

About the Author
Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger are principals of Communications consultants LLC and have been training professionals in the use of Personality Type for twenty years. They teach individuals and groups how to improve their effectiveness at work and at home. They live in West Hartford, Connecticut.

Catty1
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Jenn - I am an INFP! (I think....)

jennielynn1970
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Did you do an online Myers Briggs test?? What you may think you are, and what you really come out as can be totally different...

Catty1
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Actually, Jenn, the church I go to had a fellow come and do a two day workshop on Personality type and Spirituality (the title was something like that).

First day, we did the Myers-Briggs.

The next Saturday, we did True Colors.

INFP for MB and Blue with Green a strong second in True Colors.

It was really interesting.

The book I referred to - here or in the PM? - was What Color is your Parachute. It was really popular, and I got a copy, and tried to read through, and got totally bogged down! :D

I was getting all geared up for public speaking, and then surgery happened...will have to wait a bit to get the extra 'oomph' to take that on.