PDA

View Full Version : A tip my vet just told me

Medusa
07-03-2007, 02:24 PM
If you all know this, I apologize for the repeat. I asked him what I can do to prevent Creamsicle from scarfing down her food like it's her last meal, then almost immediately vomiting it up. He said to put a big rock in her food dish. She'll have to take her time to eat around the food and it should prevent that from happening. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?

Don Juan's mom
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I haven't heard the "rock" trick, but my sister Carolyn uses a couple of automatic feeders to stop her senior boy Oliver from "scarfing." She sets the timers so that he gets four tiny meals in a day.

Liz

BC_MoM
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I've heard of this, we actually did it with one of my old dogs. It kind of worked! lol

Medusa
07-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I thought about an automatic feeder but knowing my spoiled fur posse, they'd all want one and I don't want to buy 7. I'll let you know how the rock trick works for me.

phesina
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Is that for wet food or dry food or both?

Sounds like a good tip! Thanks to you and your vet, Mary.

Pat

Randi
07-03-2007, 03:08 PM
This sounds like a great idea, I should try it with Fister! He sometimes tends to eat too fast, and comes back in here getting the hiccups.

Liz, I bet Oliver knows the sound of that timer and rushes to get some food. :D

Medusa
07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Hmm, I don't know, I didn't ask. I only feed my fur posse dry food; they get Fancy Feast canned chicken when one of them is not feeling well and I'm trying hard to get them to eat.

Taz_Zoee
07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
My sister also told me this tip. I did do it with Taz. I guess it kind of worked. It's sorta hard to tell. Taz just didn't eat as much with the rock in the dish. :confused:

carole
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tip i have one of those bulemic pussycats too,well worth a try. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I remember Wolflady used to do this for Marius. I think she put a rubber mouse in his food bowl becasue he was always eating too fast and then throwing it back up.

My Sunny is also my barfer kitty. He won't always do it but some days he'll throw up more than he eats and he's already my skinny boy. I feed my cats 4 small mealsa day. Two are wet and dry food and two are dry only. Sunny can't eat wet food by itself or he'll throw it back up because it's either too rich for him or he loves it so much that he eats it way too fast. He has to have his wet food mixed with his dry food. He also won't eat his dry food in a bowl but prefers it on the carpet. He's one picky cat.:rolleyes:

catmandu
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
THE FOUND CATS HAVE NEVER REALLY BE GULPERS. MAYBE WHEN A PORCH CATS FIRST COMES IN AND SEE THAT THERES UNLIMITED GOOD FOOD BUT THEY SOON CALM DOWN. EVEN POUNCER ROCCALNO DOESNT EAT EVERYTHING ON HER DISH AT ONCE UNLESS ITS STEAK WITH OLD WHITE CHEDDAR.
I THINK SHES WARMING UP TO ME. I SING TO HER AS I LEAVE HER FOOD.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/th_cats101960.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/?action=view&current=8cbc4edf.pbw)

Freedom
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Good tip, Mary! I'll definitely try it with Chestnut! He scarfs it down, throws it up about 10 minutes later. An hour after that . . . which is NOT a feeding time . . . he is a poor STARVING kitty! :rolleyes: (I bet many of you know THAT song.)

Medusa
07-03-2007, 05:37 PM
At least Chestnut waits 10 minutes. Cgirl sometimes throws it up right then and there into the food dish, to the chagrin of all the other furkids, I can tell ya. She's just so hyper! Hope it works for ya. :)

Kalei
07-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow, now that is a nifty tip, I would not have thought of that, I hope it works out for ya!

jenluckenbach
07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
What I did for my binger/purger, was to place her food on a very large tray. Same idea, she needed to eat slower because the food was very spread out.