PDA

View Full Version : Plant experts please Update: FOUND!

Catty1
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
My BF got a great deal on plants at WalMart the other day. We've identified two by going on the internet.

The other two...I haven't the foggiest.

Each is about 3 ft high from soil to top. It has thick green spiky leaves, which look like a solid cluster, with the leaves pointing mostly up. The leaves are okay to touch, it's not a nasty plant.

It looks like a pineapple plant sans pineapple, with brighter green leaves and a trunk. (ab 3" dia). Also, you can see where as it gets big, the one spiky head might have a few branches that will spread out.

I have seen these plants before - but the name escapes me. I have Googled a bunch of guesses, but am stuck. I can't even find a picture to post.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kfamr
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Could you take a picture of them yourself? :)

I could show my mom when she gets home.

jazzcat
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Why don't you Google 'tropical house plants' or just 'house plants' and click on images then look for a picture of it. That is how I usually figure out what different plants are.

If you find a picture but not a name maybe you can post the picture here and someone might recognize it.

Catty1
07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
They're at my BF's place. Should've taken a pic!

I'll try House Plants on Google. Thanks!

Logan
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Candace it sort of sounds like a corn plant. I'm sure there is a better name than that, though. LOL! :p

Catty1
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
IT'S A YUCCA!

(Yell THAT out in a delivery room and watch the faces! :p )

http://www.flowers.org.uk/images/plants/yucca_lrg.jpg

sweetpatata6
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
IT'S A YUCCA!

(Yell THAT out in a delivery room and watch the faces! :p )

I'd do that too lol! :p

jazzcat
07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I wondered if that might be it. We used to have several in our backyard but I've replaced them with some shrubs now. I still have one that I cut down every couple of years but it keeps growing back. It's different from the others, it has nasty needles at the end of each leaf spike. It's close to the pool and when it gets large it will give me a "shot" in the rear when I bend over to clean the filter basket - that is why I cut it down every couple of years. I think it's specifically called an Adam's Needle Yucca or something like that. In fact, I've thrown the cut ones out into the woods and they've taken hold and are growing there. Bizarre will to live on that plant!

sirrahbed
07-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Bizarre will to live on that plant!

Bizarre indeed! We had lived in our new home for at least 4-5 years before these things started growing all around the patio. This summer there are five of them and they are HUGE!! Those roots (or whatever) must have been laying dormant under the ground for all those years. A ccouple years back, hubby attacked one of them that blocked our view of the backyard - I mean really dug down and dug it out. It is back this summer.