PDA

View Full Version : Problems with depressed cat

DianeSnizzy
07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi all,
I have 4 cats.... The oldest one is depressed. We got her from the animal shelter about 7 years ago. A year after that, we adopted an abandoned kitten. She was OK with that because the new kitty would go in and out and she was mainly an indoor cat. A few years later, the abandoned kitten had kittens of her own. They are now 3 1/2.

Ever since the kittens were born, she seemed depressed or just not wanting anything to do with the other cats. They're all indoor cats now, except the mama cat who goes out occassionally for an hour or two.

We had one of those jumbo sized litter boxes because we live in a small apartment and just didn't have the room to have 3 or 4 separate litter boxes. Well, the oldest cat decided she wasn't going to use the litter box anymore and found a spot in the corner where she would go. We keep the box clean, but she still won't use it. We put newspaper down in "her corner", but she knocks them out of the way and insists on using the floor.

I made some room and got 2 more littter boxes, but she STILL won't use them. The other 3 cats all use ONE box (their choice), so the other box is all hers and she doesn't want to use it. Last night I caught her in her corner and put her in the box to do her business. Well, she went, but wouldn't cover it. I put her back in, but she just jumped right out.

I'm hoping she'll decide to use the box, but it doesn't seem like she will.

Any suggestions?????

kimlovescats
07-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Depression and a change in litterbox habits are both signs of illness! I would get your kitty to the vet asap! Good luck, and hope it's nothing too serious!

jazzcat
07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree with Kim, it sounds like she may be sick and this is how she is telling you. I have an older cat, he is 15, and inappropriate litterbox behavior is how he tells me he doesn't feel well. He usually has a urinary tract infection when he goes outside the box.

kb2yjx
07-03-2007, 12:24 PM
How is your cat doing?

krazyaboutkatz
07-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes, as others have already mentioned, please take your cat to the vet for a check up. She may have a urinary tract infection. My oldest cat who is 11 years old also just started peeing outside of the litterboxes. I had him checked out and he's fine. He's just been very grumpy towards his siblings lately so I bought some feliway plugins to help calm everyone down. It's working some what.

I live in a condo and I already had 5 litterboxes but I added 3 more. I put 2 where 2 of my cats started peeing and I also bought some cat attract litter which you can buy at Petsmart. I put it on top of the old litter in all of my litterboxes and now they're using most of them again. I also cleaned up my older litterboxes very well with soap and water. So far it's worked well with my gang.:)

catmandu
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I Would Try That As Well.
Please Let Us Know How Your Little Senior Cat Is Doing.

Kalei
07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
When my Cat Bobo had a Urinary Tract Infection he first used the litterbox, but when it got real bad, he was squating down to pee even outside of the box, maybe that's what your kitty has? If not I'm not sure what is wrong with the kitty, I hope you can find out soon.

DianeSnizzy
07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I will definitely get her to the vet to find out what's happening.

KrazyAboutKatz.... what is Feliway?

I will definitely look into that cat-attract cat litter, too.

Thanks again, all!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's a link to it feliway (http://entirelypets.com/feliwayanddap1.html?gclid=CKDx5ov2jI0CFR1PhgodXx6Z kA). Most pet stores also sell it and I think it's usually called comfort zone. Good luck. :)