PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with fixing jewelry?

catnapper
07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I spent all day yesterday cleaning my bedroom, and am finishing up this morning, all the while trashing a blind-blowing amount of junk (Jen's thread about makeup prompted me to look through my makeup drawer, then the drawer next to that, then the next and the next and the next ;)). Anyhow.... I came across a pair of pearl earrings that I bought many years ago. I had them wrapped in a tissue... whatever possessed me to unwrap the tissue this afternoon is beyond me, but I'm glad I did! :p

Both pearls have come off their posts. They don't screw onto the pearl, they are simply gold posts that fit snugly into the hole on the backside of the pearl. I'd love to be able to repair these and wear them again. It has to be something easily repaired myself. I'm sure a jeweler could fix them in a second using some kind of glue, then charge me $30 for it :rolleyes:

Anyone have any idea what type of glue would work? Krazy glue? Craft glue? Its metal to pearl, so it has to be a glue that works on multiple surfaces.

Catty1
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I've used good old white glue. But how about phoning a craft or hardware store, and asking them what a good glue would be? They'd know.

If there is some old dry glue in the holes, ask if it should be cleaned out first, and how.

Kfamr
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I would use Miracle Glue - http://www.miracleglue.com/ - it even mentions jewelry repair on their website.

sparks19
07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
We have a glue at the store called Bead Fix. It's specifically for that kind of thing. :D