PDA

View Full Version : KS Floodings too

crow_noir
07-02-2007, 12:40 AM
PT Roll Call? Are there any KS PT regulars we haven't heard from?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070701/ap_on_re_us/flooding

By STEVE BRISENDINE, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jul 1, 7:29 PM ET

OSAWATOMIE, Kan. - Flooding worsened Sunday across parts of Kansas and Missouri, forcing more people from their homes, and meteorologists said it could be days before rivers return to normal following days of drenching rainfall on the Plains.

The Kansas National Guard was sent to help with a mandatory evacuation of Osawatomie, a town of 4,600, as the overflowing Pottawatomie Creek inundated neighborhoods and workers struggled to reinforce a levee on the Marais des Cygne.

Mayor Philip Dudley said 40 percent of the town was under the evacuation order.

"They came and told us to leave at 6:30 this morning," said Shanda Dehay, 17. "We weren't able to get anything out. These clothes I'm wearing are my aunt's."

Despite the order, many residents waded through the water or paddled in rowboats for their belongings and to survey the damage, which included homes that were half underwater and nearly submerged vehicles.

Construction worker Joe Clark, 54, and his brother helped people retrieve items from their homes with their canoe. Clark couldn't get into his own home because the water had already risen to within a few feet of the eaves.

"Might as well help people get out what they can," Clark said. "I can't get to anything of mine."

Dudley corrected earlier reports that a levee had failed along the Pottawatomie Creek, saying storm waters had overwhelmed pumping stations along the creek but that levees and dikes are still holding.

Storms across the southern Plains have claimed 11 lives in Texas since more than a week ago, and two Texans were missing. That state has gotten some of the worst of the lingering storm system, with the weather service measuring more than 11 inches of rain in June at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, about a half-inch shy of the 1928 record. The town of Marble Falls collected about 18 inches in one night last week.

Kansas officials also were preparing for additional flooding at Independence and Coffeyville along the Verdigris River, which already had reached record levels, as the Army Corps of Engineers planned to open floodgates at the Elk City and Fall River Toronto Lake reservoirs upstream.

"When you get up to the point where it's full, for the safety of the structure and the dam you have to release what's coming in," said Andy Kmetz of the Corps' office in Tulsa, Okla.

The Verdigris River at Independence rose to a record 52.4 feet Sunday morning, shattering the old mark of 47.6 feet and more than 20 feet above flood stage.

The Neosho River was expected to set a record late Sunday, cresting at 40.5 feet at Erie in Neosho County, where officials had already evacuated residents. Flood stage is 29 feet.

In Missouri, the Little Osage and Marmeton rivers were well above flood stage and still rising in some spots Sunday, said Jim Taggart, a weather service hydrologist in Springfield.

Numerous roads were closed in southwest Missouri.

Highways across wide areas of Oklahoma also remained closed Sunday because of flood damage.

Some of Oklahoma's worst flooding Sunday was near Bartlesville, where the Caney River was more than 3 feet above flood stage. The river was expected to crest late Sunday at 22.8 feet, nearly 10 feet above flood stage, the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management reported.

Amtrak's Heartland Flyer passenger rail system between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth was halted Sunday because of flooding in north Texas, and passengers were bussed instead, said Terry Angier, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

In north Texas, hundreds of residents near the overflowing Wichita and Brazos rivers remained evacuated from their homes Sunday, uncertain of when they could return.

Some residents had been allowed to return Saturday, but hours later authorities encouraged them to seek higher ground as water released from flood gates on upstream dams moved downstream, said Shawn Scott, Parker County emergency management coordinator.

The Brazos River was expected to crest early Monday before falling below flood stage during the day, Parker County spokesman Joel Kertok said.

Wichita Falls officials had urged residents of low-lying areas to leave Friday and weren't sure when they could return because of concerns about contaminants in the water, city spokesman Barry Levy said.

Associated Press writers Anabelle Garay in Dallas, Sean Murphy in Oklahoma City, David Twiddy in Kansas City and Marcus Kabel in Springfield contributed to this report.

(This version CORRECTS that a levee did not break at Pottawatomie Creek)

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

wombat2u2004
07-02-2007, 06:01 AM
This weather business is crazy Crow....we have been flooding here in various parts of Australia for the past month.
Wom

jackmilliesmom
07-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Hell its summer here and we are flooding still - soooo not funny and the floods in Britain too really bad stuff hope the end of the world is not here..........

momoffuzzyfaces
07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
The river that runs through our town flooded too. It's going down now and lots of the roads are now open. The east side and west sides of town were cut off from each other. All the emergency services like police, fire, hospital, and such are on the west side. I'm on the east side.

We had around 21 inches of rain. 12 counties have been declared disaster areas.

Luckily for our side of town, we didn't have any disasters other than the flood or we would be in deep doo doo.

I did start a thread but no one seemed to care so I deleted it. :(

gini
07-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Connie, I actually came online to PT looking for your thread.

No one care? I can't even imagine that.

I really am glad that you are safe!

I talked to someone who just got back from South Africa. He said that it never rains at this time of year - but this year they have had torrential rains.

And California is in a serious drought.

cassiesmom
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=1852432&postcount=28

crow_noir
07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Here our river has been feet below average for quite some time (except when everyone else near us is flooding.) (Saginaw River... I think i rather it be a tad low though than how polluted it was.)

Wow... I had no idea how bad it was around the world... that other places are getting hit like this. (I mean i knew, but not of the individual stories this year.) I haven't seen anything in the online news and i haven't been watching much TV.

I'm sorry Momoffuzzies. I looked for a thread too, but i never seen it. I don't like posting new threads if there's already a topic covering the subject. (not to mention the past few days my computer was doing something screwy with marking everything as read.) Thank you for checking in. *hugs* Glad you are safe.

jazzcat
07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
moff - I was looking to see if you checked in here. I'm glad you are okay and I pray you get some relief soon.

We are on the other side of the coin - drought. We are short over 13 inches of rain this year and we were already short last year. Our beautiful green country side is turning into brown crunchy dust. The farmers in the area are really struggling.

Apparently it's either too wet or too dry. Is there anywhere that is just right this summer?

wombat2u2004
07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Apparently it's either too wet or too dry. Is there anywhere that is just right this summer?

Nope...I think not. Everyone around the world is copping it big time.
Wom

momoffuzzyfaces
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel better now. Quite frankly, I was scared. No way I could evacuate with no car. I wouldn't leave my cats by themselves and I freaked out a bit.

Please keep my Aunt and her daughter and her daughter's family in your thoughts and prayers. They live in Coffeyville, KS.

The water got to within 8 inches of their property. They are all ok but there has been a massive oil spill there from a refinery. The Verdes (sp) river has been contaminated. The EPA is on the way to check things out.

One of my cousins called my aunt and she said they were on the other side of town from the spill but could smell the stuff from outside their homes. It makes their eyes burn even from there. They are on reserve water.

Please pray for all the animals that will be drinking from that river too. :(

Not a good thing at all. :(

crow_noir
07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Oil spill - not good at all. :(

I can't even stand going to gas stations because it burns my lungs so horribly. I can't imagine being near an oil spill.