PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this just like the world today?

sumbirdy
07-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Ok, I heard this on the news. This is about how it goes...There was a guy who had a mental disability walking down the road and a cop pulls up alongside him and says something to him, the man looks at the cop (just looks at him) and the cop shoots him. For no reason. The cop only gets 3 months in jail plus he gets 10 days before that to "sort his personal matters"
What's wrong with the world today? If a regular person shot someone for no reason (especially someone with a handicap) they would go to prison for years but a cop shoots him and...3 months? Ridiculous.

Marigold2
07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Perhaps there is more to the story. Perhaps this mentally ill person had a weapon.

CathyBogart
07-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Article?

Catty1
07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I found one from 2005, that was about the most recent that seemed to fit.

What news station did you hear or see this on, Sumbirdy?

sumbirdy
07-02-2007, 12:52 PM
It was on the Fort Smith station (in Arkansas) I only caught part of it but dad filled me in on the rest. I don't think the disabled man had a weapon.

Catty1
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Found it.

Arkansas Trooper Gets 90 Days in Jail For Shooting Disabled Man He Thought Was Fugitive

Thursday, June 28, 2007

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — A former state trooper was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in jail for shooting to death an unarmed, mentally disabled man he mistook for a fugitive.

Larry Norman pleaded guilty in May to misdemeanor negligent homicide and admitted he mistakenly shot Joseph Erin Hamley, 21, on March 7, 2006, as Norman lay on the ground.

Norman, who could have received up to a year, was ordered to jail immediately, but will be freed for 10 days beginning Friday to get his affairs in order. He also must serve a year of probation and 30 days of community service at a school for disabled people and was fined $1,000.

Norman and other officers mistook Hamley for Adam Lee Leadford, an escaped inmate from Michigan.

Norman was ordered to direct traffic but instead intervened and approached Hamley. Capt. Les Brunns said that by doing so, Norman instigated the incident.

"I made a mistake. Erin Hamley didn't deserve to die. There's nothing I can do to bring him back," Norman said.

Hamley ignored commands to keep his hands out of his pockets, something his mother described as a nervous habit. Hamley asked, "Why did you shoot me?" after he was wounded.

Hamley's mother said after the sentencing that the family was satisfied with the sentence.

"We feel that justice was served and that the Constitution was upheld," Mary Hamley said. "I feel that justice was done for Erin."

The state police review board concluded that Norman and another state trooper "acted in good faith, based upon information known," but recommended additional training.

State Police Director Col. Winfred Phillips pledged to step up training and otherwise "do everything possible to prevent this from ever happening again."

State police granted Norman medical retirement last year due to what his attorney called an "enormous psychological overlay" from the shooting.

Leadford, 18, had escaped two days earlier from a Michigan prison and was believed to be in the area. He was captured the evening of Hamley's death after being shot by police in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He has since been convicted and is serving time in an Arkansas prison.

RICHARD
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
This effing moron is gonna get disability pay-FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE- because he killed a man?

lololololol-

Recently (last week) a cop was found not guilty of shooting an member of the Air Force (a security cop to boot!) after a high speed chase.

His buddy led a cop on the chase and crashed a Corvette. The AF guy was the passenger and was ordered to the ground outside the car.

The cop yelled at the AFG to get up, then shot him...

The whole thing was caught on tape, yet the jury found him not guilty.

---------------------

You can;t fight city hall and the fact that any cop can shoot anyone-anytime!

sheesh!

Marigold2
07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
WEll, why was his buddy running from the police. How dumb is that?

Kalei
07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
90 days? That is not much at all, if it was a regular citizen who did it, then they would be in jail for life.

RICHARD
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
WEll, why was his buddy running from the police. How dumb is that?

Pretty stupid, but what do you do when the driver of your ride takes off like a bat outta hell?

The idiot cop got them both out of the car and violated protocol-why are you going to face off against two idiots you are chasing?

Why not wait for backup?

The passenger followed all the right orders-he was told to stand up and then was shot be the cop AFTER he followed the order.

Alysser
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
To me that sentence is basically handing a murder freedom on a silver platter! :rolleyes: He should serve way more then he is. I don't even know how I'd be able to live with myself after that. :mad:

wombat2u2004
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Hmmmmm....well after reading that article, I'm convinced (or mostly convinced) that this was a situation of honest mistake. And I believe that the sentence was probably based on that.
In regards to the fact that some believe that the law has gone lightly on him because he is an officer of the law, then I would have to disagree, I don't think that's the case here.

I do know that here in Australia, if members of the police force or any such establishment are found guilty because of the evidence against them in a situation such as this, then the penalties for those individuals are usually more harsh. This of course is an Aussie view, I'm not sure how your system works in the USA.
Wom

Cataholic
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
To me that sentence is basically handing a murder freedom on a silver platter! :rolleyes: He should serve way more then he is. I don't even know how I'd be able to live with myself after that. :mad:

The police officer was not charged with murder, as he lacked the requisite mental intent.

I am sure he will have issues with this for the rest of his life.

Vela
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Well honestly, if the familiy is satisfied with the outcome, and they know the cicumstances better than us, they why does anyone else have issues with it?

I feel badly for all involved in the incident, what a horrible thing to have to live with.

theterrierman
07-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Honest to god, couldn't he have shot the guy sub-lethally? Don't they teach these cops anything? You'd think if he'd have shot him in the foot. Mistake or not, this reeks of some headstrong cop on a power trip.

BC_MoM
07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Some cops are just a little too trigger happy. :\