PDA

View Full Version : What is best for the dogs??

Toby's my baby
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
A very big decision needs to be made, and I cannot do it alone. I need your thoughts on what would be best for the dogs. I'm sorry if this gets long, please bare with me, but I'll try explain as best I can...

I live on a large farm with my mom, dad, sister, and my grandpa lives in a trailer house (in our yard still, not the same house). We had 3 dogs, Maggie, Autumn, and Boo boo. The dogs are free to run wherever they want 24/7, but they never leave the yard, as we have a very long driveway. Boo boo was apart of our family for 14 years and was run over, in our yard, by a family friend and killed a month ago. When my grandpa moved to our farm 7 years ago, Boo boo became his best friend. When Boo boo passed on, my grandpa was devistated. Now my mom, dad, sister, and I are moving to Arizona, and my grandpa is staying here.

When Boo boo was killed I offerd to leave Autumn and Maggie here, as they love the farm, and my grandpa. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and it was horrible, I missed the girls SO much. Now I am having second thoughts about leaving the girls behind. If we bring them with us, they will probably have to be locked up inside (which neither of them like being inside very much), or in a kennel when we are gone. If they stay here their lives will remain the same, only I won't be here with them. My grandpa loves the dogs so much, and they love him too. I would LOVE to bring the girls with, as they are my babies and I can't stand to think about what it would mean leaving them behind, but I also want to do what is best for them. While I was on vacation my dad was still home for a large part of the time, and he said the girls didn't play and layed around the yard all day, not really doing anything. This is not like them at all, usually they play with each other constantly if nobody is playing with them at the time.

How hard is it for the dogs to make the move across the country to the huge temperature change from Minnesota to Arizona?? Is it going to be hard for them to adapt to a different lifestlye with no grass and all the other things that come with moveing??

I really have no idea what to do, and your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want anybody to take me wrong, I love Autumn and Maggie with all my heart, and want to take them with me, but I also want to do what is best for them.

Freedom
07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Oh my, what a difficult one!

You give a clear description of life for the dogs now, on the farm.

I didn't get a good picture in my mind of the new situation. Will you be living in an apartment or a house? Home with a fenced in yard? Will you and your sister be at school and both folks at work all day? Is that what you mean when you say they will have to be inside while you are gone? Just not sure.

Bless you for taking the time to consider the whole situation

jennielynn1970
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Another question... Is your grandpa staying on the farm, or is it being sold when you move, and then he'll have to move somewhere else? Just wondering if the dogs will be in the exact same place after you move, or will there be another family moving in there and your grandpa having to move?? Does grandpa have any other pets or will he be all alone when you are all gone??

Same thoughts as Freedom on the Arizona place. What is it like there? How much yard will they have? Is it city or country?

Catty1
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
This is hard...trying to think of what's best for the dogs, and then best for Granpa.

Granpa loves the dogs. What do the dogs think of him? And is he well enough to take care of them?

Likely he has friends that visit, so they might help out.

Toby's my baby
07-01-2007, 05:26 PM
We will be living WAY out in the country, on 40 acres. The land is all desert, no trees or anything, a few little mountains, but all sand. The yard will not be fenced, so they would have free range, but I dont want them to be outside on there own and get bit by a snake or give chase to a rabbit and not know where they are when the stop, and nobody is home...

My mom, sister, and I will be at school and work, and my dad will be home most of the time, but he is gone a week out of every month to come back to Minnesota.

My grandpa is staying on the farm in his trailer house, and we are going to rent the house out. So there will be another couple living in our house, but my grandpa isn't leaving, the dogs will be in the exact same place.

My grandpa will not have any other pets, but I was HOPING that if it came down to us bringing the dogs, we could adopt an elderly dog from the HS for him, but I'm not sure he would go for that as he doesn't like a lot of change.

He is very very well and does everythign on his own, so he is well enough to take care of the dogs. He loves the dogs like they were his own, and they adore him. He has treats in his shop and water for them, and Autumn sleeps on his deck at night instead of across the yard on ours. So they love him too.

bckrazy
07-01-2007, 05:45 PM
hmm... well, I know if it was me, I would never be able to leave my boys behind anywhere. But it is a complicated situation.

Just consider all of the possibilities. Would people renting the house appreciate the dogs roaming? What if they have dogs? Your girls are young now, will your Grandpa still live there and be healthy enough to take care of them in 10 years? What if one of your girls was hit by a car? It just doesn't sound safe.

In my experience, it is not hard for "outside" dogs to adjust to living indoors. Gonzo was an "outside" dog from birth in his former home... and he LOVES being an inside dog, now. It's just a matter of adjusting them slowly, giving them plenty of outside exercise, and teaching them inside manners.

k9krazee
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I know if it were me there would be no way I could leave my dogs behind, but I do understand your dilemma.

You're afraid of the changes they might have to endure moving? The dogs will adjust just like the rest of you will. They'll adjust to no grass or trees, and get used to being in the house. I also thought about the same thing as Erika, would the renters mind free-roaming dogs? My vote goes for taking them with you...but I'd support you either way.

ratdogg
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
This is hard...trying to think of what's best for the dogs, and then best for Granpa.

Granpa loves the dogs. What do the dogs think of him? And is he well enough to take care of them?

Likely he has friends that visit, so they might help out.

I can't properly explain my reasons, but I would go with what Catty1 said. Its a decision you have to arrive at yourself, but I would think of whats best for your dogs and your grandpa and yourself. I'm sorry you have to make such a difficult and painful decision.

kallisto4529
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I totally understand why you are having a dilema on this, but trust me, dogs adjust very well, mine when they were alive moved from florida to oregon, back to florida in a two year time frame, as long as they are with the humans that love them and care for them and keep them safe they can adjust to anything. But you have to be patient and work with them and teach them its fun and its ok to be inside. I vote for them going with you, I know your Grandpa will miss them, but if he really wants a pet, he can get a dog of his own right??

crow_noir
07-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I was ALL for leaving them at the farm with your Grandpa. I mean all that wonderful room to roam and i figured there'd still be someone there that they know.

If it's true though what your dad said about them doing nothing but moping around while you were gone then you NEED to take them with you.

The distance and climate won't be much for them to get over. It will be the routine you'll have to worry about. They're used to having the run of the farm. They'll need LOTS of walks and stuff where you're going. They'll also have to learn to stay away from many of the critters down there. Make sure you have a Vet set up down there ASAP and make sure they deal with snake bites and scorpion stings.

BC_MoM
07-02-2007, 12:14 AM
In all honesty, I would say take them with you. Why not go out one day and help your grandfather find a new furry friend? There is no way I'd ever be able to leave my two behind. I'd have to stay with them! They are my babies. I understand, though, why you are having a tough time. But I really think they would like to go with you!

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I've read this thread a few times and haven't really been able to come up with any good advice.

It sounds like an extremely tough decision, but if they were mine, I'd probably take them with me (and fence off part of your land for them..). I'd also try to find your Grandpa a dog of his own as well. Good luck, whatever you decide to do though!

Kfamr
07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Personally, there's no way I could part with my dogs. While dogs are highly adaptable animals, their lifestyle may have to change - such as being outside a majority of the time, being let loose, etc.

As your dogs are let loose a majority of them time (unless that's changed?) there are many deadly animals they can run into - including scorpions and rattlers. The heat in Arizona is intense and extremely dry. They will most likely experience dry, flaky skin for a while until they adjust. I would also advise you that they are kept inside a majority of the time because of the heat.

I would highly advise you to fence in an area for them.