PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day!!

Kalei
07-01-2007, 01:54 PM
No one created a thread for this so I thought I would:D

Happy Canada Day
to all the Canadians on here!!

I hope you have a great day celebration day and enjoy fireworks and parades, I know I will!

http://i9.tinypic.com/6b222oz.gif

Catty1
07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Happy Canada Day!

We all sang it after the last hymn at church today - "O Canada" IS a hymn, and was originally written in French.

Your holiday trivia for today! :)

We're 140. Please don't laugh. It's an even number! :p

Kfamr
07-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Happy Canada Day to our neighbors in the North! ;)

Randi
07-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Happy Canada day!

I'll hope you'll enjoy it - and have the day off tomorrow! :D

cali
07-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Happy Canada everyone! my brothers Fiance is comming over to learn how to make cheese cake..I insisted we get strawberries so the cake will be red and white lol, and the firworks can be seen from my front yard, doubt we''l get anywhere near the park, last year my friends and I had to park 10 blocks away and walk lol it was the closest we could get lol

cyber-sibes
07-01-2007, 03:21 PM
We all sang it after the last hymn at church today - "O Canada" IS a hymn, and was originally written in French. :pbut the question is....did you sing it in French? ;)
(My maternal grandparents were both French-Canadian.)
Happy Canada Day!

cali
07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
well, in school we were taught it in Fench AND English. in elemtry there was day 1 and day 2(which would be differnt scheduals) and on day 1's we would sing it in English and on day 2's we sung it in French. I live nowhere near Quebec and I did not go to french immersian, so here anyway thats how it was done at any school lol

Karen
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Happy Canada Day to all Canadian humans and pets and wildlife as well!

ratdogg
07-01-2007, 08:09 PM
wait wait wait. hold on. I have a MAJOR question....canada has palm trees? the cute pic that kalei put up to start the thread has the outline of palm trees in it....i always think of snow when I think of canada...but then again i'm from california and snow is almost mythical to me...either way...
HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!!!

phesina
07-01-2007, 08:12 PM
To All Canadians And Friends Of Canada...

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Love from your Yankee friends,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

BC_MoM
07-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Happy Canada Day!!!

I noticed on most of the boards I'm on, no one has created threads saying Happy Canada. Quite sad, we're always forgotten....

Anyway.... just for good measure, once again.....

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!

buttercup132
07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
wait wait wait. hold on. I have a MAJOR question....canada has palm trees? the cute pic that kalei put up to start the thread has the outline of palm trees in it....i always think of snow when I think of canada...but then again i'm from california and snow is almost mythical to me...either way...
HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!!!Lol no we don't have palm trees. And most places don't have snow all year round. I think right now were probly as hot as Cali.
Happy Canada Day!

sasha the cat
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Happy Canada Day to Canadian pets and people from us. We are proud Canadians! Bonne Fête Canada! Nos meilleurs voeux au Canadiens et au Canadiennes -- tous les gens et tous nos chers animals de compagnie (les copains)!
http://www.canflag.com/images/canflag/ani2/canflag3.gif

My Country, Canada was born in 1867 so today is our 140th birthday. We are a democratic nation where all are equal under the law and where there is separation of Church and State. In matters of law, the State prevails. We have two official languages, English and French.

To answer Ciber-sibes re singing of our national anthem, in **Montreal, Quebec, Canada where we live, "O Canada" is sung this way:

O Canada!

Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880 in Quebec City at the "Congrès national des Canadiens-Français". Music by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; original lyrics written in French by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. English lyrics came later.

**Montreal is the second largest French speaking city in the world. Paris, France is first.

Marigold2
07-01-2007, 09:35 PM
HAPPY CANADA DAY

CANADA IS A LOVELY, KIND COUNTRY.

ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACES ON OUR WONDERFUL EARTH.

GOD BLESS TO ALL, HUMAN AND FUR.

chocolatepuppy
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
HAPPY CANADA DAY !!! :D

Catty1
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
AND - St-Boniface, in Winnipeg, is the largest French settlement west of Quebec!

No, we didn't sing it in French...but if I had thought to look it up in the hymn-book, the French would have been there and I would have sung it.

Heck, they have a lot of the hymns in Cree, Inuktituk, and other languages.

Brothers Will and Ian Ferguson wrote a book called How To Be Canadian (Even if you Already Are One), and have a hilarious section on the national anthem.

They translate the wonderful imagery of the original French lyrics:

"Your breast is girded with glorious flowers
As your arms can carry the sword, they can carry the Cross also.

Your history is an epoch filled with the most brilliant exploits"

Then Will and Ian look at the opening words of the English version:

"O Canada, our home and native land.
True patriot love in all our sons command.
With glowing hearts, we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free..."etc

Realizing the French imagery far outdoes the English, they define the English Canadian anthem as equal to "Louie Louie". And they continue to quote "Louie Louie....woh woh - we gotta go" as the English anthem...all together now...

REALLY quite funny if you read it. I lent the book to someone...uh oh

Kalei
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the great Happy Canada day wishes:D

And the pic I am pretty sure is suppose to be fireworks going up into the air and spouting out those ones that look like weeping willow fireworks, that's why they are blinking:) As far as I know there is no palm trees here, lol, but there is definately not always snow either, lately we've had sweating hot weather:D

I just got back from a great fireworks display, it was so much fun:D

BC_MoM
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Lol no we don't have palm trees. And most places don't have snow all year round. I think right now were probly as hot as Cali.
Happy Canada Day!

You're right. We have an extreme climate, meaning it's either extremely hot and humid, or bitter and freezing cold outside. Our temperature scale ranges from +40 C to -40C.

crow_noir
07-02-2007, 12:30 AM
A belated very sincere HAPPY CANADA DAY from me!!!

In in response to the "palm trees"... I *think* those were supposed to be fireworks. :D

todd
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
I had a great one want and seen a great fireworks disply

Kalei
07-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks very much everyone! And ecspecially thanks to the pters from the U.S.A who wished us a happy Canada Day! It means alot!:D You must all be getting excited for Independance day:D

cassiesmom
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Dear Canadian PT Friends, I hope you had a lovely Canada Day. My sister's former neighbor grew up in Toronto, and I learned most of what I know about Canada from him. He has moved from Chicago back to another part of Ontario. Thank you for being our totally cool neighbor country!

Things I like about Canada...
a national anthem that people can actually sing
Beautiful views from the CN Tower
Hockey (!!) and curling (!!)
The beautiful Hotel Frontenac in Quebec
Mike Myers, Dan Aykroyd, Phil Hartman
Alex Trebek
Sarah MacLachlan and Celine Dion, Alanis Morrisette and the Barenaked Ladies
Dr. Frederick Banting (one of the team that discovered insulin)
Niagara Falls
Anne of Green Gables
The STratford Shakespeare Festival
Going to French speaking Canada and listening to people talking to each other in French - I don't have a clue what they are saying but it's pleasant to just listen.

Edited to add: I totally forgot! What I hope to be drinking one of on the 4th of July - Molson! (thanks, again, to my sister's former neighbor)

manda_moo87
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Happy Belated Canada Day! :D :D

phesina
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I did start a "Happy Canada Day" thread on the Cats General board, but the title is "Season's Greetings" (my standard holiday-greeting thread title), so you don't know until you look at it.

And I just amended the title so it does tell you what it's about!

A happy post-Canada-Day to you!

Pat

Happy Canada Day!!!

I noticed on most of the boards I'm on, no one has created threads saying Happy Canada. Quite sad, we're always forgotten....

Anyway.... just for good measure, once again.....

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!

Husky15
07-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Happy belated Canada day!
I had such a great time at the celebration this year.
And the fireworks were amazing.

:)