PDA

View Full Version : How much info can you ask a breeder?

NicoleLJ
06-30-2007, 06:32 PM
On another forum I am on an interesting question came up and the responses surprised me. So I wanted to see what people thought here. The question is about how much info can you require of a breeder to provide. The lady asking was looking for a specific type of dog and was emailing breeders asking questions so she could narow down her search for a breeder. To me she was asking common sense questions that I felt a breeder should have no problem providing. For example:

Pedigree on the parents
References on the dogs temperments and on the breeder
health testing
price
contract and so on

All of which I feel should be answered by a breeder with no problem in the first correspondence. Now I do feel there are some things I will not answer till I know the person. For example once one of my adopters was approved they asked to see pics of my home. Just the yard and the area of the house where the pups would be raised so the living room and kitchen and such. They just wanted to make sure that I was raising the pups in clean conditions and so on. Since I asked for pictures of their homes and they had no problem supplying it and we had checked references on these people and gotten to know them I had no problem providing pictures of my yard and the rooms the pups would be raised in. Now if a person asked for those pics in the very first contact I would be leary of providing it simply because I have no idea who these people are that are getting the pics.

So what are questions and things that a person first contacting a breeder could ask in the first correspondece and what are things that you think should be held off till you get to know them a little better?
Nicole & Sheena (moms to be)

Freedom
06-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Meet the breeder, near or far, and meet both parents when buying a puppy.

Responsible breeder guidelines:
The 8 canine C's
1. Cleanliness of facility

2. Caring properly for puppies + parents (socializing, vet testing for hereditary health problems)

3. Careful attention to the mother and father. Their temperaments will affect their pups.

4. Concern for who is buying their pups.

5. Customer service: Available to meet on-site, discusses breed characteristics

6. Commitment for breed's intended use

7. Community activity in dog world-show titles, temperament awards (very important), conformation titles (important for preserving breed integrity)

8. Conscience for appreciating the responsibility of bringing another puppy into the world.

Irresponsible breeder red flags:
1. Dirty facilities

2. Little or no attention to care of puppies and parents (Little/no socializing or vet tests)

3. Constantly over breeding the mother, e.g., every heat cycle

4. Unconcerned with who is buying their puppies.

5. Little idea of breed's characteristics

6. "AKC" certified is only selling point.

7. Breeds mixed breed puppies.

Read what the AKC says about "AKC Papers" According to the AKC website, "There is a widely held belief that "AKC" or "AKC papers" and quality are one and the same. This is not the case. AKC is a registry body. A registration certificate identifies the dog as the offspring of a known sire and dam born on a known date. It in no way indicates the quality or state of health of the dog. Many people breed their dogs with no concern for the qualitative demands of the standard. When this occurs repeatedly over several generations, the animals, while still purebred, can be of extremely low quality."

Responsible breeders are dedicated to their breed, breed selectively regarding health and temperament and meet all potential buyers. RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS ARE THE BACKBONE OF THEIR BREED. MEET THE BREEDER.

NicoleLJ
06-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Great Post Freedom
Nicole & Sheena (moms to be)