PDA

View Full Version : My doggy is eating my kittys food!!!!

kittykatsmoocher
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM
HELP! I do not know if it is safe for my dog to be eating cat food every time I give food to my pets my dog goes right after the cat food! Then my cat doesnt get to have a fair share of his food. Please if anybody has any suggestions please tell me i would appriciate it alot! Thank you :D

dragondawg
06-30-2007, 06:09 PM
My previous dog use to terrorize the neighbor's cat and then would eat the cat food. The solution was my neighbors put the cat's food up on a shelf. My dog wasn't too good at climbing vertical heights. ;)

Cat food which tends to have higher protein is just fine for dogs- well at least it probably tastes great to a dog. However dog food isn't too good for cats.

Grace
06-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Feed the cat in another room with the door closed.

Freedom
06-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Cat food is high protein; cats NEED that. Dogs do not. So when a dog eats cat food, the kidneys work overtime to purge all that excess from the system. Don't let the dog get the cat's food.

Put the cat dish up out of dog reach, or feed them in a closed room.

crow_noir
07-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Cat food isn't horrible for dogs as an occasional treat. The amount your dog is eating it in though could be a problem (depending on the breed.) It's more of a problem that your cat isn't getting enough to eat.

As others have said though it would be best to feed in separate rooms. (Or teach your cat to eat on a counter or other high place the dog can't get to... I understand though if it is a dog like a Rat, Fox, or Jack Russel Terrier putting the food up high may not be a deterrent ;) )

HELP! I do not know if it is safe for my dog to be eating cat food every time I give food to my pets my dog goes right after the cat food! Then my cat doesnt get to have a fair share of his food. Please if anybody has any suggestions please tell me i would appriciate it alot! Thank you

SemaviLady
07-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I've sometimes used cat food for dog training treats. :)
Is it harmful? Mine are very large dogs and they have lived into their teens without any health issues besides getting a little arthritic. I doubt they get enough cat food to hurt them anyway. (a handful during a lesson at most)

I've also used dime sized slices of hot dogs and that's certainly not health food. :)

I have usually kept cat food and cat boxes either in a separate room or a hallway closet, with the door bungied or blocked just wide enough to be a 'squeeze' chute, too small for the dog to get through (but my dogs are usually rather large), or I've kept the cat's food on the washing machine in or some other shelf and the cat leaps up to get it there.

An extra cat litter box with narrow opening and a cover over the top, not used for litter but for the cat bowls can be handy.
http://img184.echo.cx/img184/2055/catsiam2lv.gif

Hellow
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
HOT DOG!!!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/Hellow54321/food_fire_hotdog.gif

inlovewithanimals
07-07-2007, 11:57 AM
as sandra said they work overtime ( were next door neighbors so i learn alot from her

justin,