PDA

View Full Version : Chicken down...

lute
06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, I woke up this morning to go feed the chickens and noticed that my Silkie was laying on the Seabright and making a wierd noise. As I got closer I noticed that the Seabright was dead and the Silkie was trying to wake him up. :( When I picked up the Seabright I noticed that his neck was backward. I set him outside the pen and the Silkie kept trying to get out of the pen and to the Seabright. :(

I don't have any idea what happened, but I'm worried about the Silkie. She is depressed. Because she is the only other chicken I have I'm afraid she's going to die of depression. I've heard that some chickens will die if they've lost their lifelong friend. I do have a friend that I'm getting a couple Silkies from soon, but they will be day olds and won't get to be outside with the other Silkie until they are older. What do I do????

Babyboonie
06-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Oh lute...i'm really sorry to hear about seabright. And to hear of Silky's pinning is just heart breaking. Unfortunately I don't know anything at all about chickens so don't think I can offer you any advice - i'm really sorry. Hopefully someone with some chicken experience will post soon for you. Hang in there xx

Alysser
06-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Aw, poor Silkie. :( Maybe you can buy an older Silkie or another Seabright who can go outside? Sorry, I am not much of a help. I'm sorry to hear this lute.

Kalei
06-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Do chickens like being held by humans? Maybe you could be its friend until you have other chickens to be around it? I don't know if that would work for chickens or not but it was just my idea. I am so sorry about the other chicken and I hope your silkie will have a little bit of will left to still live.

IRescue452
06-30-2007, 09:46 AM
know of anybody else in the area with chickens? Maybe you could borrow an adult, or put an ad in craigslist for a friendly adult.

3muttsandaboston
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Chickens won't die of loneliness if they did my little hen would have died. I removed her from her whole flock and brought her home to treat her for scaley leg mite. I have since got a little chicken to keep her company. Your chicken will be fine until your chicks are old enough to join her. Just give her lots of attention and treats. Good luck and so sorry about your silkie.

critter crazy
06-30-2007, 11:40 AM
I am so sorry Lute. I would just give the silkie lots of attention until the others are old enough. it will be fine. My Lone duck survived fine on her own.

Genny
06-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm so sorry Lute--that's so sad :(

I had 2 muscovies that were sisters, and one got killed by a dog. The other sister got to where she woudn't eat. We had other muscovies for her to bond with, but she just missed her sis' so much and wouldn't have anything to do with them. She quit taking baths in the pool and she almost stopped eating--she got to where she wouldn't eat any grain/healthy food she only wanted to eat cheese-its crackers. I know that wasn't good for her but since I knew how much she was grieving I gave her what she wanted. It was so sad to watch her like this--we loved her sister as well and it was such a sad time in all of our lives.

Three months after her sister had gotten killed Jake died. I miss her so much, but I know the reason she quit eating/taking care of herself was because of her sister not being with her anymore. They were so close...and even though we had other ducks she didn't love them the way she loved her sis'.

Ducks really do love one another and create a very strong bond with certain ducks. I don't know if chickens are like that or now--never had any--but they could be...

I hope your other chicken gets ok and doesn't feel too bad about what happened. Do you have any idea how it died/got killed???

Genny