PDA

View Full Version : Wood floors cleaner

sparks19
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Well.... we are tearing up the carpet this weekend.... one of the many endeavours we are undertaking all at once.

But the floors underneath are probably filthy as the carpet has been there for 20+ years.

We need a really good wood floor cleaner. What do you suggest?

Freedom
06-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Cleaning, as opposed to refinishing? Murphy's Oil Soap. Great on wood. I grew up with it, and now I use it, too.

http://www.colgate.com/app/MurphyOilSoap/US/EN/HomePage.cwsp

Have a fun weekend. :D

Karen
06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
They may need more than cleaning, they might need sanding down. We rented a sander and did the "dining room" floors - now our living room. If they are in good shape - and it might surprise you, depending on how the carpet was laid down, a good cleaning might suffice ... I am not one to reccomend cleaning products, though, as many knock me flat.

wombat2u2004
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Yep, a good sand, and then a couple of coats of tung oil fortified polyurethane.........BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
Wom

sparks19
06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
No we aren't sanding and refinishing them lol. We are just pulling up this carpet because it has been in this house for longer than we know and they are so gross they aren't even worth trying to clean.... the lady that owns this house has owned it for 15+ years and it was here before her lol. We are just pulling up the rug.... cleaning the wood floors and then using a bunch of area rugs and runners so there will be minimal wood floor showing. and they are actually finished underneath.... they have just been locked under a rug for umpty years.

BUT.... we started tonight and there was a small kink in the plan lol. The dining room pad under the rug is GLUED down. So we are going to get up what we can and get a carpet measured out for the room and put that in there instead of going down to the hardwood.

We did the back hallway and that wasn't too bad and the floor is in decent shape.... except for the bazillion staples whatever bozo installed this carpet used to install the padding.... not just around the edges.... but EVERYWHERE. the area is MAYBE 9 square feet and i bet there was well over 50 staples randomly scattered over the floor lol. So we pulled all those out with pliers and a screw driver.

We used murphy's oil soap. it did a nice job and smells really nice. and it really picked up A LOT of nasty stuff. We did a soak mop, then a dry mop, and then a mop with just water and we are going to mop it one more time tomorrow when we get the rest of the carpet in the living room up.

then we move in our new furniture tomorrow too. Yippee LOL

carole
06-30-2007, 02:14 AM
You can buy a little steam cleaner for around 150 dollars here that steam cleans wood floors, i don't have one as yet, and have a wood floor in the kitchen and dining area, i think these are a brilliant idea and i hope to purchase one sometime in the near future.

sparks19
06-30-2007, 07:51 AM
You can buy a little steam cleaner for around 150 dollars here that steam cleans wood floors, i don't have one as yet, and have a wood floor in the kitchen and dining area, i think these are a brilliant idea and i hope to purchase one sometime in the near future.

Hmmmm I wonder if you can rent those.... you know like you can rent the carpet cleaners. that would be a good idea cause these floors are DIRRRRRRRTY. lol

wombat2u2004
06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm I wonder if you can rent those.... you know like you can rent the carpet cleaners. that would be a good idea cause these floors are DIRRRRRRRTY. lol

Elbow grease !!!!!!!
Get into Sparksy......no slacking now !!!! :eek:
Wom

sparks19
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Elbow grease !!!!!!!
Get into Sparksy......no slacking now !!!! :eek:
Wom

Well we already got the carpet up and have mopped twice.... and it's STILL dirty lol. I'm about to go mop it AGAIN. But the carpet came up pretty fast..... again the longest part was prying up the millions of staples the put ALL over the padding lol. Brian is on his way to go get the new furniture even though it's not ready to come in yet but our friends need it cleared out so they can bring in their new furniture lol. Then after that we are off to get area rugs.

Well I guess cinderella is off to mop the floor again :D lol Where are those darn mice when you need em.

Catty1
06-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Wow...wonder if you could rent a powered scrubber. You know, like those old floor wax polishers?

Also - those steam cleaners might be good, because if they are like carpet cleaners, they suck up the dirty water, and hopefully leave the surface CLEAN.

Good luck!

sparks19
06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow...wonder if you could rent a powered scrubber. You know, like those old floor wax polishers?

Also - those steam cleaners might be good, because if they are like carpet cleaners, they suck up the dirty water, and hopefully leave the surface CLEAN.

Good luck!

Well I think I got them pretty clean now :D

We mopped quite a few times and this last time didn't bring up much at all.... so hopefully that means they are clean. At least they are relatively sanitized. They were NASTY under that carpet lol. EW you should have seen the carpet and the padding. Very very gross. I'm glad we decided to get rid of all that before baby comes. it just wasn't sanitary