PDA

View Full Version : Resumes

slleipnir
06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I want to send out a couple resumes...but I'm unsure of a few things.

Like, the objective. I'm sending one to a pet food store and one to the hospital. So, how would I word that?

Also, what about a cover letter? I'm not sure what to write...I really just want a new job. I hate where I work now...but I can't exactly put that in a cover letter as to why I want the job lol...any ideas?

Blue_Frog
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I want to send out a couple resumes...but I'm unsure of a few things.

Like, the objective. I'm sending one to a pet food store and one to the hospital. So, how would I word that?

Also, what about a cover letter? I'm not sure what to write...I really just want a new job. I hate where I work now...but I can't exactly put that in a cover letter as to why I want the job lol...any ideas?
- Customize the objective to the job. Have a couple different resumes ready for the different kind of jobs you want to look for, since the resume doesn't have to be exactly the same for each application :)
- The cover letter should also be customized to the place you're looking to apply to. Use their job posting, and pull out the top three things you can do best for that job, and sell them on how you can help them, not how they can help you. Also, dont mention that you hate your current job ;)

Check out http://www.monster.ca and http://www.workopolis.ca -- they have career sections in them that talk about resumes and cover letters, that might be able to help you out.

Good Luck!

Catty1
06-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Or, what do the two jobs have in common? Use that as an objective for both resumes. And make two copies if necessary, and tweak the objective a bit.

Edwina's Secretary
06-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I recommend a Background Summary instead of an Objective. An objective is about what you want...an background summary is about what you offer. Makes a difference.

Summarize you, your skills and abilites. For example..."energetic, hardworking,...blah blah...looking for an organization where I can increase my knowldege while helping the orgaization meet its objectives...."

An objective statement gives companies a reason to weed you out rather than in...if your objectives don't match.
Both a hospital and a store would want someone who is friendly, customer-focused, able to work with minimal supervision. Attention to details, etc.

Cover letter should always be included. You don't need to address why you are looking. What you want to say is why you find THIS opening interesting and why you should be a candidate they interview.