PDA

View Full Version : idea from Pam.... For those of you with more than one cat....

shais_mom
06-29-2007, 12:50 AM
How many do you take to the vet at one time?
I know by reading Tracey's vet threads that she takes more than one at a time. I'm sure several others do also. I only have one carrier so I only take one cat at the time. (also one PET @ a time b/c Keegan is just too big and loves going to the vet so much it would be a nightmare with her and another)
Kloe gets carsick. Kylie just hates being in the carrier and yowls the entire trip. Once we get there and she's out - she enjoys being made over and petted and talked to. One time she was on the counters and reached up and started knocking bottles and stuff off the shelves! :o
Once its time to go all you have to do is put the crate in front of her and she SHOOOOOTS in like a SHOT! - I don't have NEAR that easy as when we leave to COME to the vet! :eek:
I actually don't mind taking them separately b/c its kind of like "alone" time with the kitties. Kloe isn't used to being alone ever b/c she almost always has one or the other in the house. So its my time with each cat. Its about the only time when Kloe will allow herself to be on my lap and for me to pet her uninhibited. Any other time she has a very short attention span and the teeth and nails come out. :rolleyes:
When she was a kitten I had to leave her overnite b/c of a UTI and when I went to get her the next day - the vet was making over her and exclaiming - how sweeeeet she was and how cute she was and she was just soooo loving. I was seriously thinking "I don't know what kitten you're talking about b/c that isn't the same cat I brought here! But whichever one they bring me I'm keeping!" ;) :p B/c she was a TERROR even back then! But they brought me the right cat and I am still suspicious that they weren't talking about her! ;)

Pam
06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
What a great idea for a thread Staci! :p LOL! I take both of mine together because I have two carriers. I just carry one cat carrier in at a time. Trevor meows like a mountain lion on the way over and Andy slinks to the back of the carrier and is quiet as a mouse. He is my scaredy cat anyway. After the exam they both run into their carriers. The vet explained to me that the cats view the carrier as "the tunnel to home" so that is why they are so happy to get inside. I thought that was a pretty good way of putting it. :)

shais_mom
06-29-2007, 02:25 AM
:confused: :eek: :o :eek: what are you doing awake?! :eek: :confused: :o :eek:

Pam
06-29-2007, 02:36 AM
:confused: :eek: :o :eek: what are you doing awake?!

I have a horrible cold. I slept almost all day and now I am awake at night. :mad: :( Shouldn't you be asleep too? :D

shais_mom
06-29-2007, 02:38 AM
I have a horrible cold. I slept almost all day and now I am awake at night. :mad: :(
I had a feeling that you were going to say something about being sick and you'd slept all day!
FEEL BETTER!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-29-2007, 04:12 AM
I take them in 2 parts. We have a large carrier, big enough for 2 cats; Inka and Zazou go in september, and Maya and Snoopy in February

jenluckenbach
06-29-2007, 05:34 AM
If I take 3 at one time I get a special extra discount. And since I always have Charlie with me (and TONS of carriers) I often do this.

But discount or no discount, sometimes I can only afford 2 at a time. :o

But I have already taken as many as 4 at a time. (1 carrier for each of our 4 hands...LOL)

Catlady711
06-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Most I've ever done was 6 at one time. It did require 5 carriers, a leash and a helper but we managed. lol

Freedom
06-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I've done 5 at a time, 5 carriers, and just me. Requires 20 minutes planning and getting everyone in their carriers; getting the car loaded with the right cat next to and away from the right cat :rolleyes: ; and checking in with 2 cats and sending help back out to the car for the other 3.

Since Dad moved in, he helps anytime I take multiples.

I also try to take at least 3 at a time to get the discount.

Sparkle gets car sick; so bad that she starts getting sick sitting in the carrier on the kitchen floor, the anticipation gets to her. She moans and groans and you'd think she is very ill. all this for the annual shots visit! Once in the vet's, she is her usual self, my social butterfly. Roaming around poking her nose into everything, sniffing and smelling and rubbing against anyone she finds. She has tipped over the trash bucket, gotten locked in a cabinet, and sat in the window chasing a fly.

Chestnut does NOT approve of the vet and refuses to come out of the carrier. He howls up a storm, sounds like a siren. Spits and growls, shows the teeth and claws. He is marked as a "caution." They have to put ont he big gloves to handle him.

Most of the others cower and give me the sad "how COULD you?" look. :rolleyes:

kb2yjx
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Barry and I have done 8 cats in 8 carriers to the dentist. Normally, no more than 4 will go to the vet at the same time. And thank heavens for the multiple cat discount!!!!!

jazzcat
06-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I take Rocky and Rumor together (in 2 carriers now because they are so big) and Decker and Moxie together. Ripley, Jazz and Scout usually go alone.

After coming in with all the kittens and mother cat we found last fall my vet set me up for a 10% discount for all my cats - yay! I should have asked about that years ago. :rolleyes:

Catty1
06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
My two in one large carrier add up to almost 30 lbs - THAT'S ENOUGH! :p

Catlady711
06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
My two in one large carrier add up to almost 30 lbs - THAT'S ENOUGH! :p

I know that feeling. When I used to be able to put Pooky & Bear together in a carrier it totaled a whopping 34 lbs! They fight now if I try to do that since they are so big (Bear is 17 lbs, his brother Pooky is 13 lbs)

moosmom
06-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Staci,

I take my cats to Petco vaccination clinics that are held every Saturday from 10-2. It's cheaper, and you're not charged for an office visit.

catmandu
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
My Vet does house calls which is great as there no way that I could take even One Found Cat to the Vets on the bus. It just takes too long.
The last mass visit was about 5 years ago when I got 8 Found Ctas to the Vets,
It was a nightmare as Princess had to travel alone. Moose ended up with Precious and Almond Rocca Baton as he was the friendliest.
Joseph got scared and pooed all over Bo Bo when she did not appreciate.
I got 15% off and stares from the people there as we unloaded the 5 Carriers.theycouldnt elieve they were all my Cats!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/th_MIKE.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=ac3c0be8.pbw)

Don Juan's mom
06-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I've got two carriers, the small original carrier I got for my first cat, Cardamom, and a larger d*g carrier that was on sale at Petco. Don Juan gets that one. Never occurred to me not to take both cats at once. I put the carriers on the back seat (fewer complaints that way), with seat belts around them.

My vet holds a vaccination clinic two Saturdays a month. Getting to be that time again... :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :p

Liz

k9krazee
06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
The two blackies go together in one carrier (Kyra's crate :p ) and Jasper has always gone by himself.

Catty1
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
DJM - I had a look at your under-construction homepage.

Have you ever had the pleasure of singing Rossini's Cat's Duet with another female singer?

At least the WORDS are easy! :D

It's a hysterical piece - the rest of you check it out!

Okay, finished my thread hijack, back to Vet transportation issues....

krazyaboutkatz
06-30-2007, 03:08 AM
I think that I've only taken 3 cats at one time to the vets but when I used to take them to the groomers to have their nails trimmed I took 5 of them all at once.:eek: This was before I had Ziggy. My new vet has also given me discounts when I've brought in 2 -3 cats at the same time even though when I asked about multiple pet discounts the woman on the phone told me that they don't do this.

Storm cries very softly in the car but is a very good boy at the vet.

Sunny howls very loudly like he's in pain in the car but he's so scared that he'll let the vet do anything to him.

Sky is quiet in the car and meows to be let out of the carrier so he can socialize with all of the new people. He's also a very good boy but will sometimes try to nip the vet or vet tech if they do something he doesn't like.

Starr is usually very quiet in the car and very scaredat the vet. He'll sometimes try to bite and he tried to bite me while I was holding him down on the table but all in all he's a good boy.

Pearl is very loud and also howlsin the car. When she was a kitten she'd hiss and growl at the vet. Now she's scared and is a good girl.

Ziggy Stardust cries loudly in the car and she also used to hiss and growl at the vet. Now she's so scared that she'll just sit there.

ShylanHal
06-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Because both my babies cuddle so much, and the carrier is so huge, I once tried to see if I could have both of them in the carrier at the same time.
If it didn't work I'd have to take both of them to the vet seperately.
BUt they seemed to really enjoy it... or at least took comfort in the fact that the other's friend is there.
So I can take both Clover and Echo to the vet at the same time, because even in one crate (for short periods of time, of course... wouldn't take 'em on a road trip this way) they don't mind it at all. Except being at the vet's in general :P

K & L
06-30-2007, 08:06 AM
It depends on what/why we're needing vet visits. Once we had an outbreak of ear-mites. The vet suggested he making a house call since we have so many and this is something that all need to be treated at the same time or you don't get rid of them. Well it turned into a disaster and didn't go as planned. The cats were spooked to no end with the vet and tech in the house and Kevin got clawed to death trying to capture some of them. So we ended up taking 4 to 5 at a time making trips back and forth. What a nightmare. We learned that for the most part when the cats are at the vets in an unfamiliar environment they tend to get more submissive. So with all that said :D we try and limit to 2 at a time.

ramanth
07-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I have two carriers in case of an emergency, but when it comes to vet visits, Zam and Logan go seperately to break up the cost. I don't get a multi pet discount.

prechrswife
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
For annual visits, we take Chloe and Saphirah together. Samson is on a different schedule. We have taken all 3 at once for other reasons (like nail trims), though.

buckner
07-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Unless we are going to the vet for a specific problem on one particular cat, we take all 6 cats in at once. We have 3 dog carriers that can hold 2 fat cats each. There is NO way we'd get away with taking only one or two at a time. They would get the hint that something was up and would all run and hide, never to be found until it was feeding time. It works best that I grab 2 of them at once and shove them in carriers. Seems cruel, but it's the only way it would work. Jake is way too smart and knows when he's trying to be caught, and Callie runs if she doesn't want to be bothered (most of the time, unless she's on the bed). Once those two are caught, the rest are easy. Plus, we get a discount with 6 cats in at once. :)

catnapper
07-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Nicki by herself. Pouncer by himself when he's sick. With Allen otherwise. Harry and Abby piggyback onto one appointment. Miss Flutter has yet to see my regular vet (I'm seriously behind on her shots :o)... she's incredibly healthy, unlike her big brother Pouncer :rolleyes: