PDA

View Full Version : What do you love about your favorite breed?

jenluckenbach
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Everyone probably has a favorite breed, even if it is a mix, and many breeds are known to have characteristics common to (most of) that breed.

(An example might be that Border Collies are high energy and great for active sports, like frisbee. Good for people who love to "play" but no so good for people who are couch potaotes.)

So, what is it that makes YOUR breed the right one for you?

MS_PAWS
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
When people hear Misty bark they say "that's a funny bark" rofl

MS has like a raaa whoo like a low seirn sound? I LOVE hearing that when she gets excited about something?

That's what I love & their beards too

luvofallhorses
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
rotties - I love their goofiness and the thing I don't like is their stubborness. :p Jenny is very stubborn. I love how sweet and gentle natured they are. :)

pit bulls - I love their clown like antics, loyalty to their people, friendliness, big goofy smiles, I love everything about them, actually! :)

labs - I love how they are intelligent, love water, so care free, loyalty to their people, their goofiness!

hounds - I love their bark, their silliness, they also are very loyal to their people. :)

catahoula leopard dogs - I love their markings :)

golden retrievers - I love how loyal they are and that they love water :) and they are very gentle!

3GSDMom
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
German Shepherd Dogs- I love how loyal and intelligent they are. I love how they are willing to try anything just to please their owners. They're versatility. How they make it seem like there is nothing they can't do. they're loving nature. [Ever seen a GSD with a kid? That is a wonderful site] Most of all I love how they have brightened my life. I couldn't imagine spending any time without a GSD around ;)

As for my other favorite breeds [Rottweilers and Beaucerons] I haven't had the pleasure of owning or working with any yet so I don't have an accurate description. For now, what draws me to them is their looks, power, and just about everything I've read about them makes me fall in love with the breed even more.

Christiansmommy
06-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Swissies are so not high energy...well Harlee is still kinda a puppy, but really, she'll just lay there relaxed and big ol goofy like :) I like her protective instincts...even though she wouldn't harm a fly, she barks at passers by, that is a Swissie trait, to guard their family. But at the same time she is my gentle giant. I wouldn't trade her for anything. She's the best!! She is my shadow and I step on it often, lol!! She is always under foot!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Tollers...

I love everything about them really. Their overall enthusiasm towards things, how happy they are, their trainability level, their size and appearance. I love how versatile the breed is and how they are always ready for action. I love how devoted they are to their owner/s, their (usually) reserved nature around strangers, etc. I could go on an on about them. I will never be without a Toller -I absolutely love them.

Kfamr
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
My favorite "breed" is the mutt/shelter/rescue dog. ;)

Each mutt is unique and has their own personaility. They come with baggage but at the same time, with love and care they become completely sound dogs. The most rewarding thing in the world is being able to bring a scared soul out of it's shell.

There are endless possibilities as far as color, fur type, ears, etc. when it comes to mutts. They are just that great. ;)

Danegirl2208
06-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Great Danes: well its hard to say really...I love everything about the breed. Their awesome personalities, their loyalty, their size and looks..everything :)

American Pit Bull Terriers: That drive to please the people they love..that extreme loyalty that they show..their tenacity.. their sweet personalities...their energy...Love everything about this breed to :)

Sweet Sixy
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
My favorite breed is definately the Aussie!
There are many things I love about them, their "wiggle butts" is probably one of my favorite things. I also love what a great, playmate they can be. He is my agility/running/swimming/frisbee/rollerblading/ any kind of exersice partner :D

Pam
06-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I love the loyalty and intelligence of the poodle and and the non-shedding coat. I also like that they come in three sizes and an array of colors so there is one for every taste. :cool:

cyber-sibes
06-28-2007, 08:21 PM
I do love Siberian Huskies! I love their intelligence, curiousity, fun-loving personalities, (even their mischievious side), friendliness, and their independence. Did I mention loving their drop-dead gorgeous good looks, too? I never get bored looking at huskies. Their foxy/wolfy faces, all the different masks & eye colors, & their beautiful coat colors. And, while all puppies are cute, siberian puppies are just about the cutest, they look like little stuffed toys. They make such interesting vocalizations, too - while mine are nearly silent, I love hearing other huskies talk - they make such a wide range of sounds!

chocolatepuppy
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM
German Shepherd Dogs- I love how loyal and intelligent they are. I love how they are willing to try anything just to please their owners. They're versatility. How they make it seem like there is nothing they can't do. they're loving nature. [Ever seen a GSD with a kid? That is a wonderful site] Most of all I love how they have brightened my life. I couldn't imagine spending any time without a GSD around ;)

If I may borrow this quote ;)I'm not sure what my favorite breed is, I've always had mutts. But most dogs I've had have had GSD in them.
RB Ginger and RB Corey were both Shepherd/Collie
Lacey, maybe Shepherd/Rottie/?
Layla, Shepherd/Lab/?
Of course my RB Mandy was definately a retriever mix of some kind and a love of a dog. :) I also had a cockapoo type of a dog, RB Casey, he was a wild one. :rolleyes:

Almita
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Shih tzus: well from what i have had, i love how friendly they are, so sweet and kind, and can be a bit goofy. Love it when they're happy always wagging their tail non stop how they're coats are very pretty in their own way and can be very long or short either way they are very unique. Love mostly every dog and people. Also LOVE to be petted on their bellies. THey're barks are ADORABLE.

IRescue452
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh I don't know, I like them all.

I love the cocker spaniel "talking". They always have a noise they make in their throats when they are excited.

animal_rescue
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm honestly not sure what I exactly love about Dobermans. First I guess they have a wonderful temperament. When you pet them, they will immediately lean on you and bug you for more. They look absolutely adorable wagging their little nub of a tail and I especially love when they chatter their teeth when they are excited. They have the most gorgeous face and soulful eyes. They almost seem human to you. I just love them.

Suki Wingy
06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Dalmatians are really my only favorite breed for sure. I love their intellegence and the fact that they can interract so well with humans, even if they don't feel like obeying really. Old lines are better because they are more of a guard dog than the newer lines they breed to be so outgoing. I also love the way they love horses. Even lines removed from horses for a while tend to get along very well with horses. They are flashy, I love a well ballanced, well muscled dog. Conformation means a lot to me, and good style and type can really get me excited. They shed the most of all breeds, and believe it or not, I like the uniquness of it.

cloverfdx
06-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Border Collies (working/ trial bred) - I love their working ability :D. They are very loyal dogs and i have found they have their one special person they bond to the most. I also love the variations in coat, ears etc of the working guys.

Dandie Dinmont Terriers - I adore this breed, they are special not so little dogs. I love that they are quite calm for Terriers, although they have their moments. They are 'unique' looking dogs aswell.

Jack Russell Terrors - I love that they think they are big dogs and can easily keep up with the rough and tumble play of big dogs. The roughies are darn cute and they know it. They are smart alert dogs, and love to learn.

binka_nugget
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Shelties - I love their versatility. They're great dogs for agility, flyball, obedience, rallyo, herding, therapy or just being a family pet. My guys are always up for anything, whether it's going for an intense run or hike, playing agility, or just vegging out and getting cuddles. :P They're not too small (so that I have to watch where I step), or too big. They come in a wide assortment of colors, and their coat is lots of fun to groom (if you enjoy grooming like I do :p) They're incredibly intelligent, loyal and love to please.

Malinois - They're INTENSE dogs. They're similar to Border Collies (Border Collies were my first choice but I wouldn't be able to compete in obedience because they're not recognized by the CKC). They're definitely not the dog for most people, especially if you get one from working lines. They're fantastic dogs for people serious about dog sports.. especially agility, obedience and protection sports. They're highly intelligent, extremely dedicated to their "work" and love to please their handler. They're lots of fun if you enjoy working with a high drive, intense dog!

cloverfdx
06-29-2007, 10:28 AM
*cough* Sorry to go OT but speaking of Mals Ashley, may we please have a Keeva uppiedate :D.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, obviously Pembroke Welsh Corgis are my favorite breed. :)

I love how intelligent, playful, curious, affectionate and adorable they are! I will always have corgis, because to me they are the smartest, cutest, and funniest dogs around. I even enjoy their somewhat bossy temperaments. :D

theterrierman
06-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Wheaten Terriers - Wheatens are the calmest, sweetest purebred terriers out there. I love their soft coat, their temperament (think of a labrador retriever with an extra dose of attitude), their non-aggressiveness with most dogs (really rare for terriers), and their gentleness with kids. Basically, Wheatens are my favorite breed, but I don't think I'd have one, because their tendency towards protein-wasting diseases scares the heck out of me, and I've told many a wheatable "breeder" what I think of their careless breeding programs.

Brittanys - Britts are super loving, gentle dogs (once they get past the terrible mouthing stage), they are excellent all-purpose gundogs, they have extremely low maintenance coats, they barely shed, and they have a very low incidence of hereditary diseases, the only minor concerns are HD and epilepsy.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers - I love staffys because they are sweet and gentle, small, easy to care for, and they are playful and clownish. I'm definitely getting one when I move to somewhere that doesn't have BS Legislation.

pitc9
06-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I of course love the GSD! :o
I love how loyal and protective they are.
But I love mixed breeds too! I LOVE the markings and coloring of a GSD/Rottie mix! But I also love Husky blue eyes!

I honestly can't say that I have a favorite breed.

binka_nugget
06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
*cough* Sorry to go OT but speaking of Mals Ashley, may we please have a Keeva uppiedate :D.

Did you see the recent threads I made Rhi? She's SOOOO big now! I *tried* measuring her (but she was wiggling around too much). I *think* she's at 24inches.. hopefully she doesn't get any taller, cause that would make getting her CH a little more difficult! :p

Roxyluvsme13
06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
For Pomeranians, I really don't know what it is. I guess it's their sweet personalities and their eager temperaments, and of course their little ball of fluffness.

Boxers, I don't know. I think it's something about their goofy personalities, Roxy has inherited a lot of that.

And Pit Bulls, there's so much to say about them that I can't really put how I feel into words.

flipgirl
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I have a shih-tzuxbichon and I adore her- she has the liveliness and intelligence and the most beautiful eyes of a Bichon and sweetness and gorgeous coat of a shih-tzu. And she doesn't have the breathing problems of a shih-tzu. I don't like her brk though it's loud and shrill.

But I love all dogs but I live in an apartment condo so I don't have room!!! If I were to name a few of my favourites, they would be:
Miniature Schnauzers - their character, the way they talk, their expressive eyes and their pklayfulness

Labs - their devotion to their owners, their gentleness and playfulness;their endless energy and imperfiousness to pain!

Old English bulldogs _their smushed up faces, the fact that they look mean but their the gentlest and affectionate dog that is good with kids, their stocky body

Old English Sheepdogs - The reader I use to read in grade 1 was about Mr. Mugs, an OES and I've always wanted one - so cute and playful and I don't know how they can see through all that fur!!!

Siberian Huskies - their sheer beauty and energy.

Alaskan Malamutes - same as Huskies

Wheaton Terriers - their playfulness lasts throughout their lifetime.

Pugs - they're just so cute

Staffordshire terrier - Strength, courage

Boxers - their playfulness, courage

Rottweilers - their powerful and intimidating look but affectionate and loyal personalities- I once visited a home with a Bichon and a Rottie and I was scared of the bichon!!

Not necessarily in that order and just a sampling!!! all dogs are my favourites!!

Canis-Lupess
06-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Border collies for sure.

They are the most versatile breed and will do anything. They are the top breed in all the fun sports like flyball, agility, obedience etc... and their speed and precision in these sports is unmatchable.
They are very trainable and very eager to please.

I also love how they move. Watching a working BC herd sheep is mesmorizing for anyone. I also love the famous collie "Eye". No other breed has a stare that can hypnotize sheep...and humans.

I also love the fact that they are faithful, loyal and do tend to be a one person dog and their sensitive side means they are also very connected with their human owners to the point that they can almost read your mind. They have lots of initiative and can figure things out on their own without guidance because of their intelligence.

Search and rescue dogs are even be trained to ignore sheep, something it has been bred for hundreds of years to do. In the UK, most search and rescue dogs are BCs, especially those used in moorland areas and sheep are also grazed in these areas and a dog must be able to be trusted to leave them alone even when out of sight of it's handler.

I also love the various coat colours, ear carriages, eye colours etc...Working strain Borders are very variable but they can also be very beautiful looking dogs. Even the less glamourous looking are still devine to look at when they adopt the typical herding stalk.