PDA

View Full Version : Question....

Iilo
06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Are there any rodents that can live comfortably in a 10-gallon glass aquarium? (Without the water, of course. :o)

If not, how about 25?

I'm going off to college next year and the rules are "aquarium animals only: max 25 gallons." I all ready have an empty 10-gal, so as I'm on a college student budget I would prefer to use that....

And if worse comes to worse I can get fish, but I think rodent/s would be easier to transport in the summer.

sweetpatata6
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
For Gerbils I would say two,

Hamsters one,

Dwarf Hamsters two to three??

and I have no idea about rats

---This is for a 1 gallon tank---

Aspen and Misty
06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I have kept rats in a 20 gallon tank, but I regret it because they didn't have a lot of room. I have kept a hamster in a 10 gallon tank and felt ok about it, but I would say bumping it up to a 25 gallon would be best.

I have kept mice in a 10 gallon tank and they were happy as a clam.

Ashley

IRescue452
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
3 mice. Males smell horrible though. But if this is anything like my college, by aquariums they mean fish only. The rodents will be taken away and you won't know what happens to them.

moosmom
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
My rat Winkie is in a 10 gallon tank and seems fine.

Christmas_Hamster
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Your rat will do much better with more room. A hamster does not live comfortably in a 10 gallon I think a rat would suffer.

10 gallon
Mouse-One
Rat-None
Hamster-None
Gerbil-Two

25 gallon
Mouse-Two or three (not males)
Rat-none (they prefer wire cages)
Hamster- One syrian or 2 dwarfs
Gerbil-3

Chilli
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Definately not rats. They are social, and two rats would be way too cramped in a 10g... even a 25g. Plus, you would be cleaning the cage like crazy trying to keep up with the mess they would make in such a small place.

Mice are always fun to have around.. especially a small group of females. My current female has a 10g all to herself and she loves it. :)

And have you checked with the officials at the college? I know you mentioned that they said "aquarium animals only: max 25 gallons." ... but rodents aren't necessarily classified as aquarium animals. Like IRescue452 mentioned, you may have the rodents taken away if you don't get this cleared first.

Best of luck in your decision.

KittyGurl
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I think hamsters, mice and gerbils can be kept in a tanks. I would get a 25 gallon tank so they could have more room (if you are planning to get a hamster.) The mice and gerbils would be okay in the 10 gallon.

Hellow
06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
:) I keep Little Bit in a 10 Gallon aquarium and he does fine. but he lives by hiself
so that may change things, plus when you only keep one gerbil you have to socialize with them very often which i can do because i only have Reggie as my other pet.