PDA

View Full Version : It's about time...details may be disturbing to some...

Catty1
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt on Thursday finally banned all female circumcision, the widely-practised removal of the clitoris which just days ago cost the life of a 12-year-old girl.

Officially the practice, which affects both Muslim and Christian women in Egypt and goes back to the time of the pharoahs, was banned in 1997 but doctors were allowed to operate "in exceptional cases".

On Thursday, Health Minister Hatem al-Gabali decided to ban every doctor and member of the medical profession, in public or private establishments, from carrying out a clitoridectomy, a ministry press official told AFP.

Any circumcision "will be viewed as a violation of the law and all contraventions will be punished," said the official, adding that it was a "permanent ban".

A survey in 2000 said the practice was carried out on 97 percent of the country's women.

In the latest fatality, 12-year-old Bedur Ahmed Shaker was taken by her mother to a private clinic in Minya, a town on the Nile south of Cairo, for the operation. She died before she could be transferred to hospital.

Her mother accused the woman doctor of negligence, charging that her daughter's death was linked to the anaesthetic and not the removal of the clitoris, for which she had paid 50 pounds (nearly nine dollars). Police have arrested both women.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070628/capt.sge.rts45.280607142518.photo00.photo.default-341x512.jpg?x=180&y=270&sig=r_lQ.d03uRkC9.ROBSB4_g--
AFP/File photo: Two girls sit next to an old knife
that is used to perform female circumcision...

moosmom
06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I've got one thing to say about that...

OUCH!!!!

I wonder if they circumcise men in Egypt or if it's considered mutilation???

Cataholic
06-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank God I live in the US.

Catty1
06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I hope these first two arrests will send a message and that government will continue to enforce the new 'no exceptions' law.

David Bowie's wife, Iman, had that happen to her when she was a young girl, and now campaigns against it.

Now if the rest of the Mid East could get onside...one down.

Catsnclay
06-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Ok, maybe I live in a hole somewhere, but WHY on earth would they remove that from a woman???!!! :eek:

I really don't understand some religions or traditions :rolleyes:

Catty1
06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Catsnclay....basically, to keep women 'loyal'. One of the thoughts being, if a woman can't feel pleasure, she won't cheat on her husband to find it.

There is likely more to that, but that is my understanding.

Of course, in the cultures, the husband can have all the pleasures he wants...

Catsnclay
06-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Catsnclay....basically, to keep women 'loyal'. One of the thoughts being, if a woman can't feel pleasure, she won't cheat on her husband to find it.

There is likely more to that, but that is my understanding.

Of course, in the cultures, the husband can have all the pleasures he wants...

OMG! you HAVE to be joking! What, are woman just baby machines to the men over there?!

Catty1
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Some links from sites, as I will not copy them here.

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/circumcision/response.html

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/circumcision/response4.html (a more enlightened man!)

popcornbird
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
You know, I didn't even know that female circumcision exists until about a year ago. :eek: That is just awful. I heard they do it in many countries in Africa.

But wouldn't that make life a misery for both the wife AND husband? I mean, if the woman can't feel pleasure, I would think it would ruin everything for the husband along with herself. Some people are just sick. :(

That would actually create issues for people marrying in different cultures. What if a girl is 'snipped', and later marries a man from another culture? I doubt men from cultures where this is NOT practiced would ever want a circumcised girl, and no one really thinks they'd need to ask a GIRL about that beforehand. :eek: Those poor, poor girls who have gone through this. :(

Catty1
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, popcornbird....but if you look at the first link, where an obviously educated man outlines the advantages...and then the second, where another man has responded with anger to what one of his countrymen posted, it is enlightening.

There are women AND men who will not put up with this, and I hope it starts to go away from this day forward.

wombat2u2004
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
These people still live in the bloody stone age.
Wom

Catty1
06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
The ones who are finally banning it are out of the stone age, and some of teh citizens are following....

But the masses, it will take time and law enforcement....

wombat2u2004
06-28-2007, 07:36 PM
The ones who are finally banning it are out of the stone age, and some of teh citizens are following....

But the masses, it will take time and law enforcement....

They've pretty well stopped that here amongst our aboriginals. It was a problem here for a while.
Wom

Kalei
06-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Haha agreed, cept I say..Thank God I live in Canada
Thank God I live in Canada
Thank God I live in Canada.

Marigold2
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
What a bunch of flipping nutcases.

Marigold2
06-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree with you one million percent. Here in the US it's mostly guys that have that done.

JuniorxMyxLove
07-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I agree with you one million percent. Here in the US it's mostly guys that have that done.

This happens in the US??

haha I don't really even know what it is. I think I read about it somewhere when we were doing our african dolls in school...but I'm not too clear on the subject. Can someone please explain, or direct me to a website that will?

I'm so confused and I just wanna know what its about. Ahh once again, i feel really stupid. Everyone knows what it is but me...:[

Catty1
07-01-2007, 01:38 PM
JuniorX - Female genital mutilation, or called "circumcision" (not an accurate term)

Did you read the first post?

popcornbird
07-01-2007, 02:49 PM
This happens in the US??

It happens to BOYS in the US, not girls, and it is very different because in men, only some foreskin is removed. In women, usually much more is removed, and many people who practice this think it is good because it reduces a woman's desire (and pleasure). Many girls have died in the process, and it makes natural childbirth, etc. very difficult on the woman. How cruel is that? Obviously, if a women cannot be happy and fulfilled in her marriage, her husband won't be so fulfilled either.

Men are circumcised as babies, usually, and it is done either for religious reasons, or health reasons, or both, and this is done in many parts of the world.

To those who say, "Thank God I was born in the US", true, but remember, FGM is common in Africa, and doesn't exist that much in other countries. My family originates from Pakistan, and this practice is completely unheard of there. I'd say, Thank God I'm not one of those girls who was born in such a place where they think this has to be done. Those poor, poor women...having one of their basic human rights, to seek pleasure with their spouse, taken away from them. :(

JuniorxMyxLove
07-02-2007, 09:57 AM
thanks guys.

Cataholic
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
It happens to BOYS in the US, not girls, and it is very different because in men, only some foreskin is removed.

Men are circumcised as babies, usually, and it is done either for religious reasons, or health reasons, or both, and this is done in many parts of the world.

Just want to add that while it is true that only men are circumcised, I don't think it is all that 'different'. There has not been any scientific evidence to support the health reason angle for some time now.

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have done it to my son. :( :o

K9karen
07-02-2007, 11:53 PM

Amen to that, sister.