PDA

View Full Version : For those 4-eyed PTers....

catnapper
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I finally have enough saved to get my sorely needed eye exam and glasses. I've been putting this off for far too long and am super-excited about getting new ones.

I checked out the mall tonight to see just how much glasses cost these days.... and nearly fell over: $400!?!?!? :eek: I want to cry - I didn't save that much.

I actually found one pair at Sears that would be right in my $250 range, but they would not have the superthin lenses. They sure looked thin enough to me, but the sales clerk made me feel like I was making a mistake by not buying the "featherlight" ones for an extra $130 (bringing me back up to the $400 price point) Is there a serious difference between Featherlight lenses and the not-as-thin lenses? My prescription DOES get rather thick.... not Mr. Magoo thick, but thick. I do agree I need a thinner plastic, but whats the REAL difference?

I visited 4 stores: Sears, LensCrafters, and two local privately owned stores. LensCrafters was hands-down the most expensive. I bought my last pair from Sam's Club and was very disappointed.... see old thread here: old thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=45012&highlight=Eyeglasses) more about old glasses (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=45105&highlight=glasses) even more about old glasses (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=52394&highlight=glasses) (geee.... I've really been needing these new glasses since I bought the last pair! :eek: )

Anyway, I need help here. Where do you get your glasses, what did you spend, and how satisfied are you with the final product? Any words of wisdom? I already know I do NOT want the anti-reflective coating. I've never had good luck with that.

Oh Pam, where art thou? I now you can help me!

joycenalex
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM
i got my 2 pairs at the eye glass warehouse. yes they wee a bit pricy (and having 2 , one to wear and a backup made it so) check to see if they're around you. HTH

Pam
06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh Pam, where art thou? I now you can help me!

Here I am Kim! :) Actually I am probably of little to no help because I get my glasses at cost from the lab since I work for the doctor. Glasses can be amazingly expensive depending on all of the "frills" (thin lenses, photogray, progressive lenses, etc.) you can put on them. We have hired a girl to work in the optical shop part of our office so I am way out of touch with glasses and pricing, etc, since she has been with us two years now and figures it all out and writes it up. I can tell you that recently a husband and wife put $1,000 on their credit card because they each bought a pair of glasses. They sort of left the office in shock. :eek:

Edit: I tend to agree with you about the anti-reflective coating. We have many people complain that the coating comes off. Fortunately if it is within a reasonable time frame the lab will take them back and re-do them. You do have to be especially careful what you clean them with. I have anti-reflective on my lenses now but only got it because the price was right.

Marigold2
06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I work for an eye doctor as well. Getting the cheapest pair possible is never a good idea, they break easily and that is never good. Do spend the extra money on the progressive that turn dark as you go outside, get the scratch resistent coating if available and a good basic frame. You won't be disappointed.

moosmom
06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Kim,

Try Wal-Mart. I got a great deal on two pairs of glasses for $168.

critter crazy
06-26-2007, 09:20 PM
I dont have Prescription Lenses, but Since I am blind in my right eye, my eye doctor Prescribed Glasses with Poly-Carbonite lenses(Shatter proof), to help protect my one good eye. I got super light glasses, polycarbonite Lenses, and since I have to Wear them all the time, I also Got Transitions Lenses. Altogether they cost me $489!! Eeeekkk...but like hubby said, they will last me years, since they dont have a prescription lenses in them. But Glasses are so expensive it sucks!

RedHedd
06-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Believe it or not, J.C. Penney's! The best selection (even designer frames), sales help and prices - they always have special deals going. Also ask for AARP or AAA discounts or if your health insurance has a deal with them - most do.

Earlier this year I got two pairs, ultra thin, high-index lenses for about $600, which is cheap. I bought the warranty as I'm going through a lot of eye issues this year. They have changed the prescription for me once already at no cost. I'm seeing my eye doc tomorrow for a new reading lens Rx; with the "warranty" I'll only pay 10% of their cost for changing the lenses.

I get the glasses with the polarized clip on (actually magnetic stick on) sunglasses, That way I don't have to pay for yet another pair; my regular glasses become my sunglasses with a quick stickon.

cali
06-26-2007, 09:42 PM
similer problem here lol my eyes are awful but I simpley couldnt afford the exam and new glasses. recently I had the exam, to fine out the my perscription has changed a LOT..no wonder I cant see lol. wel I went shopping around the the absolute cheapest I found was $230..and that for for the lenses alone. sorry im not much help lol im just in the same perdiciment :p

Glacier
06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I have the featherlight lenses. I didn't get the anti-reflection coating, but do have some kind of extra scratch protection. Total my lenses and frames cost 600 bucks. I got 200 back from my insurance plan at work.

I think the extra cost of the lenses was worth every dime. I actually wear my glasses now instead of forcing my contacts in no matter how my eyes feel. I have major allergies with dry, itchy eyes. Not comfortable with contacts in, but I used to do it anyway cuz I hated my glasses so much. My frames aren't designer label, but they are fashionable. I get compliments every time I wear them to work---my coworkers seem to forget they've ever seen them before!

catnapper
06-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I pulled up JC Penney's website... wow, 2 pair for $129! Our local Penney's does not have an optical dept (its an outlet center) The closest Penney's with an optical dept. is 30 miles away... not horrible in the scheme of things. Even if I ordered 2 pair as backup with the thick lenses, that price is great! You have no idea how many times I wished I had a spare pair. Even if I only used the spares for when I can't find my glasses in the morning and I have to call someone to help me look since I can't see where I'm looking! LOL

Scooter's Mom
06-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I got mine at WalMart this last time.

I was on my way to work at 6am, and my eyeglasses (they were reallllly old) broke in half! So, I had to call in sick and find an eye dr willing to take me in on short notice. I went to wally world, got my exam and ordered my eyeglasses (while driving in my Rx sunglasses) and then took my broken ones to a repair place.

$300 for the new ones (I needed the extra extra thin lenses) and $65 for the titanium weld/laser job later - I have my new glasses AND a pair for backup. Plus, my Rx sunglasses for extra backup!

That was definately something I never want to repeat. I don't know where you should get yours at - but I wanted to chime in and recommend you get a backup pair - even if it has the thick lenses - just so you have one pair in case something like that happens to you.

Crystal

shais_mom
06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
I go to Walmart and am always happy with them. :)

sirrahbed
06-27-2007, 12:03 AM
We have gotten all of our glasses at Wal-Mart for years. The exams here are $40. My last pair was under $200 and that was for the quality grade frames and bifocals. I do not get any of the frills like coatings, etc. One time, Missy broke her frame and it was just past the warranty time but they gave her a new pair anyway. I am thinking the warranty is shorter now though.

That special at JC Penney sounds terrific! :)

Karen
06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
I paid over $400 for my current pair of glasses, but I have an exceptionally difficult prescription, AND wanted the triple-compressed plastic lenses. I have had plastic lenses since they became available, as the optometrist recommended them to my parents for the sake of the weight resting on my nose. My vision is important to me, though, so the money was worth it.

In case you're wondering, I am very, very, very, very near-sighted, and have a different astigmatism in each eye. So without my glasses, not only would you be fuzzy if you were, say, 3 feet away from me*, but there would be about four of you overlapping each other.

When I have, on rare occasion, dropped my glasses on the floor where the light didn't hit them, I literally have to pat the floor, inch by inch, until I find them. It's pathetic.

*I cannot see clearly more than 2 inches beyond the end of my nose.

shais_mom
06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
My frames aren't designer label, but they are fashionable. I get compliments every time I wear them to work---my coworkers seem to forget they've ever seen them before!
Mine are the same way -
I got mine @ Walmart and I get compliments every time I wear them, people ask if I got new glasses - I htink I've had these for about 4-5 years. I've had them less than 6 b/c Keegan will be 6 this fall and I remember her scratching the lens of my other ones with her puppy nails!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7da30b3127cce83c710154ec800000016109Qas2bFs1g

K9karen
06-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I paid over $400 for my current pair of glasses, but I have an exceptionally difficult prescription, AND wanted the triple-compressed plastic lenses. I have had plastic lenses since they became available, as the optometrist recommended them to my parents for the sake of the weight resting on my nose. My vision is important to me, though, so the money was worth it.

In case you're wondering, I am very, very, very, very near-sighted, and have a different astigmatism in each eye. So without my glasses, not only would you be fuzzy if you were, say, 3 feet away from me*, but there would be about four of you overlapping each other.

When I have, on rare occasion, dropped my glasses on the floor where the light didn't hit them, I literally have to pat the floor, inch by inch, until I find them. It's pathetic.

*I cannot see clearly more than 2 inches beyond the end of my nose.

Me too!! The stigmatism in my right eye is so bad, I had to have a "gas permiable" contact made to try to have clearer vision. I have a soft contact in the left eye. I'm not eligible for laser surgery either. I see better in the contacts than I do with the glasses. I also spend hundreds on plastic lenses, and thinner lenses. I rarely wear my glasses but need a new pair since it's been 4 years since I've updated them. Thanks all, for the suggestions where to buy nice new frames (etc) using AARP! Big help! I'll start my search this weekend!!!

Glacier
06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Mine are the same way -

Woah! Those are very similar to mine! I don't think I have any pictures of me wearing mine though...I don't have very many pictures of me period! You look lovely in them!

shais_mom
06-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Woah! Those are very similar to mine! I don't think I have any pictures of me wearing mine though...I don't have very many pictures of me period! You look lovely in them!
Thanks! :D

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Hmmmmmm....some of you guys get good deals on your glasses.
My last pair was $500
Wom

BitsyNaceyDog
06-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I was just at the eye doctor last week. I go to Walmart. My total for the exam, a years worth of contacts, and a new pair of glasses was a little over $500.

catnapper
06-27-2007, 06:26 AM
I would have to be desperate to get mine at Walmart. Yes, they are offering affordable glasses. My son has had bad luck with them. I swear creatures come out at night and chew on the frames. I don't know if its Walmart's product or my son (most likely him and how he takes care of them :rolleyes: ) but I've had problem with his glasses, and most importantly, problems with their service getting them repaired while still under warranty. I also wouldn't go there for myself because my last pair were Sams Club and they're both owned by the same company.

This thread is great!

Staci, I would LOVE to get plastic frames like that but always think they look stoopid on me and my fat round face :o . Maybe if I go to Penney's for that fantabulous deal, I'll be able to get the second pair as a funky plastic pair! :D :p

critters
06-27-2007, 06:45 AM
I had VERY good luck with Wal-Mart on my previous pair, about 15 years ago. As a -8, I know I'm hard to fit. Before you decide on the where, you need to have an idea of what might work, especially if you're hard-to-fit.

For instance, I need a substantial, roundish frame that goes all the way around; otherwise, all that plastic in the lenses will be unstable and prone to breakage. For this reason I couldn't get glasses from W-M this time. The optician talked my mom, who was paying, into anti-reflection (VERY bad move) and double thin (I didn't care). However, she also discouraged color change and UV protection, saying neither would work with my Rx.

Oh, BTW, I ended up getting them from my optometrist's office.

Pam
06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I wanted to chime in and recommend you get a backup pair -

Crystal

I agree completely. Many of our patients who wear contacts don't wear their glasses at all any more. They either don't even have them any more or the prescription is so old that they don't work for them. We always caution our contact lens wearers especially to keep an updated pair of glasses on hand. I have even had people say they would call out of work sick before wearing glasses again. :eek: These are the same people who call at the end of the day, way overdue for an exam, and say they need to be seen right away because their last pair of contacts just tore. :rolleyes:

Uabassoon
06-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Even with vision insurance I find that it's expensive to get new glasses. Thankfully Alexa and I have found a discount place. It costs $29 and that includes lenses, $36 for sunglasses. We each have several pairs from that store because of how cheap they are and we get compliments on our glasses all the time. It's called Lesco, I don't know if they have them everywhere or only in Tucson.

RedHedd
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Shais_Mom, you look gorgeous!

Catnapper, my JC Penney's is about 15 miles away and is a pain to get to, but I've had the best luck with the glasses there so I begrudgingly make the trip. They've remodeled the mall where their store is and they have an Ulta now so I usually treat myself to some fun girly stuff when I have to go there. Makes it worthwhile for me. Going to the eye doc this morning to get a new Rx for my reading glasses so I'll HAVE to go back. Now I'm looking forward to it!

catnapper
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I just have this really good feeling about Penney's. I also have the feeling my lenses will be thick, but it won't matter much if I get the thicker plastic frames. I want to get one metal pair and one plastic. If the metal pair is offensively thick, I can always go back later and pay an additonal $200 for the thinner lenses when I have the extra money. They'd still turn out less expensive in the long-run than the other places I've been. I just can't justify spending so much money right now. One being that I don't happen to have it :p and the other being that Cameron currently is obsessed with ripping my glasses off my face. If he happenes to destroy a $65 pair of glasses, then nothing major is lost.

Hey Sparks if you read this, the JC Penney's I'm talking about is in the Park City Mall... are to meet up?

Laura, I'm going to see if we have that store around here. We do have an America's Best, which I think is similar. But they're an hour away.... which might be worth the trip! :D

Once again, everyone here ROCKS!!! Thanks you all for the suggestions. Please keep 'em coming.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
My husband has really poor eyesight without his glasses on, so he buys a special kind of lens so they aren't really thick, which can be really expensive if purchased at a vision store. He doesn't like any wal-mart frames, so he picks out frames from a diffrent store (last time, we found a little shop that sold frames, he got a nice pair for a decent price) and has walmart make the lenses to fit the frame, which they will do for free. That way, he gets walmart prices on the lenses but gets to pick out a frame he likes. He hasn't had any problems with this glasses...and it does save about $100. I think for everything he spent about $260 last time (about 8 months ago).

shais_mom
06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I and the other being that Cameron currently is obsessed with ripping my glasses off my face. If he happenes to destroy a $65 pair of glasses, then nothing major is lost.

Laura, I'm going to see if we have that store around here. We do have an America's Best, which I think is similar. But they're an hour away.... which might be worth the trip! :D

Thanks RED HEDD! :o
I just looked up LESCO on yahoo and the only thing that came up was lawn chemical stuff.
I suppose if you've had problems with Walmart - I can't say I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. The only time I went :eek: with them was the last eye exam I wanted my glasses refitted b/c they were so crooked and it was $30. I wasn't happy but I just kept telling myself it was cheaper than a new pair of glasses!

And as much as I LOVE babies that is the one thing I won't tolerate when my nephews did it - their other grandpa thought it was funny- so he allowed them to do it -(his other grandma also teaches them its really funny to belch really loud in public and it INFURIATES my mom and sister when they DO do it in public) and my nephew was like 5 years old and wanted my attention one day when I was talking to someone and he ripped my sunglasses off my face. He got flipped over my knee (and had my attention :eek: ) before he knew what was happening. :mad: He never did it to me again -
I would nip that in the BUTT as fast and early as you can b/c as they get bigger and stronger then can only do more damage.

Cataholic
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I think I am going to check out walmart next eye exam time! Those prices sound great.

catnapper
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Woohoo... I just called JCP. They recommend that I go with the polycarbonate lenses on the metal frames but I could be safe with the typical plastic lenses on the plastic frames. The upgrade for poly is only $60 per pair. There is a warranty available for one year breakage on both the frames and lenses for ony $15.

Soooooo.....
$129 two pair special
+ 60 upgraded lenses on metal frame
+ 15 warranty on the metal pair since that'll be my primary pair
$304 for TWO pairs -- right in my origianl price range.

I also called America's Best. They offer free eye exams and 2 pairs of glasses for $69.99. They won't do my prescription for that price. They said mine will run about $200 per pair. BUT my son needs an exam and glasses. This is PERFECT for him. So while I am out at Penney's he can be at America's Best getting his exam and picking out his glasses. Both stores are a stone's throw away from each other.

catnapper
06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
And as much as I LOVE babies that is the one thing I won't tolerate when my nephews did it - their other grandpa thought it was funny- so he allowed them to do it -(his other grandma also teaches them its really funny to belch really loud in public and it INFURIATES my mom and sister when they DO do it in public) and my nephew was like 5 years old and wanted my attention one day when I was talking to someone and he ripped my sunglasses off my face. He got flipped over my knee (and had my attention :eek: ) before he knew what was happening. :mad: He never did it to me again -
I would nip that in the BUTT as fast and early as you can b/c as they get bigger and stronger then can only do more damage.
Trust me, I let him know he's not allowed to rip them off my face. But he's currently at the state where its really funny to do something he KNOWS he's not supposed to do. Oh yeah, a laugh riot to rip grandma's glasses off. And to push the buttons on the front of the tv. And to scatter feresh laundry all over the room. Oh, he's a comic! ;) He is just learning no means no. He'll stop dead in his tracks and you see him deciding if he wants to listen to you or make a game of it. If he decides to listen he simply walks away. If he decides to make a game of it, he gets this sly little smile and starts being B-A-D.

Cataholic
06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Just one more way kids are so different. Jones has never bothered my glasses, and will now take them off my face, fold them, and gently lay them on the table when we snuggle, as the corner always gets him in the face.

He has two pair of sunglasses, wears them all the time, and makes me go back home to get them if we have forgotten them.

<sigh> my son, my angel. :o (just slap me)

The pulling of single strands of my hair with his teeth is a whole 'nother matter. :mad:

joycenalex
06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
<sigh> my son, my angel. :o (just slap me)The pulling of single strands of my hair with his teeth is a whole 'nother matter. :mad:
* made me spit ice tea you did!!!!*snark

shais_mom
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Trust me, I let him know he's not allowed to rip them off my face. But he's currently at the state where its really funny to do something he KNOWS he's not supposed to do. Oh yeah, a laugh riot to rip grandma's glasses off. And to push the buttons on the front of the tv. And to scatter feresh laundry all over the room. Oh, he's a comic! ;) He is just learning no means no. He'll stop dead in his tracks and you see him deciding if he wants to listen to you or make a game of it. If he decides to listen he simply walks away. If he decides to make a game of it, he gets this sly little smile and starts being B-A-D.
same nephew- ran up to the TV one nite - turned the volume ALLLLLLL the way up
it scared him - he ran away
and refused to go back to the TV to turn it down! :)

carole
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I became a four eyed pter over a year ago, had my test at the optician and prescription glasses from there, progressive lenses and they cost me $800,so I don't think your's are too bad considering,you won't know yourself in a while, takes time to get used to them, then you will love them i am sure.

K9karen
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I agree completely. Many of our patients who wear contacts don't wear their glasses at all any more. They either don't even have them any more or the prescription is so old that they don't work for them. We always caution our contact lens wearers especially to keep an updated pair of glasses on hand. I have even had people say they would call out of work sick before wearing glasses again. :eek: These are the same people who call at the end of the day, way overdue for an exam, and say they need to be seen right away because their last pair of contacts just tore. :rolleyes:

:o caught red handed....

Pam
06-28-2007, 05:43 AM
progressive lenses and they cost me $800,

:eek: :eek: Wow! If you put every extra possible frill onto the lenses we sell in our office and even bought the most expensive frame you couldn't manage to spend $800 there. :eek:

:o caught red handed....

Oh Karen, I would find a way to work you in, even if everyone in our office wanted to skin me alive! :D :D :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
try here

http://www.specsonthenet.com/

carole
06-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Pam my glasses are nothing extra special, the frames are modern and nice, but it is the prescription lenses that cost the money,and i donot have anything difficult really, keep in mind that is NZ dollars, but yes they are expensive, you would be lucky to get anything much cheaper, i even got a deal on the frames too so they were more expensive than that, also remember these are from an optician not something you can just buy in the shops,i do agree though the price is outrageous, my husbands would cost even more than that has he has to have more expensive lenses.

The price of getting old eh? :)

catnapper
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
My eye doctor appointment was very interesting.... my vision went from being a -5.75 to a -4.5. Apparently, my atigmatism is pretty bad (-1.25 in my left eye and a -.50 in my right eye) The dr. said that most likely I had the wrong prescription for years, probably because the other doctors simply went from the existing prescription, instead of starting from scratch. :eek: He explained that they usually add the prescription and the astigmatism together to get the lens thickness. So you'd add my -4.5 prescription + my -1.25 astigmatism to get the -5.75 I've been wearing the past few years :eek: Looks like they totally ignored my astigmatism!!!!

I got two pair of glasses for exactly what I'd budgeted but I hadn't figured on adding the doctor's office visit to my budget. It'll cost me $90 for today's doctor visit after insurance covers their part. If these new glasses make the world crystal clear then it was worth every single penny! I've been having issues for years and complaining of headaches for years. If it means clear vision and no headaches? OMG I'll send this young doctor a love letter every day.

On to my new glasses.... I bought a red plastic pair a lot like the ones Staci posted of herself. I also got a navy blue metal pair that I am shocked I liked! We'll see how they are, and how I see out of them ;) I am just so happy right now.