PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW? Wee Companion Facts

Catty1
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I figure most of you know these things, but I found them on the Cochrane Humane Society website, and thought I would pass them along.

DID YOU KNOW?

Wee Companion Facts

• Rabbits can live for 5 to 10 years

• Rabbits can be litter trained

• A rabbit’s teeth will continue to grow throughout its life - hence the need to
chew

• Hamsters and gerbils live for about 2 -3 years

• Hamsters like to be busy and enjoy hamster wheels, mazes, etc.

• Gerbils are very social animals and enjoy a companion

• Hamsters are typically solitary pets

• The word Hamster comes from the German word Hamstern which means “to hoard”

Kalei
06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Awesome facts!:D I knew all the rabbit ones;) but I never knew some of the hamster and gerbil ones, very cool facts about them:)

Christmas_Hamster
06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for sharing!

I want to comment on the hamster one about them being solitary the fact was leanign towards syrian hamsters. Dwarf hamsters often can live in pairs or groups.

Babyboonie
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Interesting facts there Catty1......especially where the name hamster comes from...figures really, they love to stuff their pouches and then hide it all away somewhere!!

Karen
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I knew all the bunny stuff - and Miss Hoppy is already ten years old, and doing well, so more than ten years is possible!

Babyboonie
06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Karen - is it time for some more updated pictures of Miss Hoppy?!

Kalei
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I wnated to add to the companion facts list:)

Did you know that rabbits can get pregnant while they are pregnant?

It's a pretty interesting fact to know, specially when you are trying to breed a rabbit.

Babyboonie
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Really?? Wow..I didn't know that was possible! Just as well that doesn't happen to us humans!!

sweetpatata6
06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Hehe my gerbil, Valintine, is 4 1/2 and her sister ((and her companion)) died about a year ago. :(

R.I.P. Loretta