PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers family found dead

sparks19
06-26-2007, 09:36 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

They are investigating it as a murder/suicide. How scary. I remember this guy from my days of watching wrestling

Catty1
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
It's all over the news here in Alberta - Claude Benoit was born in Montreal, and trained with the Hart family here in Calgary for some time.

I wonder what happened? Are these guys on steroids to an extent that the rages it induces get fatal?

Investigators think he shot his wife and son over the weekend, and himself on Monday. I just can't imagine his state of mind - or the fear of his family.

Prayers going out to everyone involved.

JenBKR
06-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I heard about that this morning. How shocking. They haven't released a lot of the details as of yet, but they said that there was not a gun used. My prayers are with the family in this time of grief.

kittycats_delight
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
It's all over the news here in Alberta - Claude Benoit was born in Montreal, and trained with the Hart family here in Calgary for some time.

I wonder what happened? Are these guys on steroids to an extent that the rages it induces get fatal?

Investigators think he shot his wife and son over the weekend, and himself on Monday. I just can't imagine his state of mind - or the fear of his family.

Prayers going out to everyone involved.

There were no bullet wounds that was a false statement. I have the link for the local newspaper where Chris Benoit and his family lived. Here it is (http://www.thecitizen.com/node/18058)

smokey the elder
06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I was shocked. On the pay-per-view Sunday night they said Chris had "personal" issues; I thought nothing of it as standard WWE shtick. I was shocked when I read about the tragedy this morning.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Ballard declined to release the cause of death, but said that earlier news reports that the Benoits died of gunshots were false.

That was the only statement in the linked article that mentioned bullets, and it's clear there were none, according to the quote above.

An earlier report I read on CBC/CTV indicated stabbing, but the cops are not confirming the cause of death one way or another.

That poor young boy. :(

sparks19
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
It really is scary.....

I hope they are wrong about murder suicide although no matter the outcome it is devestating.

Yes that poor boy was only 7 years old.

It said that they died on the weekend and he died on the Monday.... I'm wondering if maybe something happened and he found them and ended up killing himself over it. Very scary.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Sparks...I would hope so...but the police are firm they aren't looking for any outside people.

Whatever the murder weapon was - I think they would have seen it was the same for each person, pending forensic confirmation.

sparks19
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Sparks...I would hope so...but the police are firm they aren't looking for any outside people.

Whatever the murder weapon was - I think they would have seen it was the same for each person, pending forensic confirmation.

Good point. I didn't think about that

sparks19
06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
They have released the causes of death.....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070626/D8Q0KO801.html

This is just so unbelievable. They are testing to see if roids may have been a factor.... if they were I really hope the WWE wakes up and starts doing regular testing with severe consequences for those that are using.

I hate to think this could have all been avoided if he hadn't been on the juice.

How tragic.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Heavy prayers here...smothering is not quick. OMG. They suspect he might have gone nuts on steroids.

Wrestler Benoit killed wife, son in murder-suicide, official says

06/26/2007

By DEBBIE NEWBY / Associated Press

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press Tuesday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said test results may not be back for weeks or even months.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

Benoit canceled a pay-per-view appearance at the "Vengeance" event in Houston because of "personal reasons" a day before the three were found dead.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning." The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas.

JenBKR
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Wow.......it would make sense if he was on steroids. Still...hard to fathom killing your own child, spouse.....I can't even imagine the thoughts that were probably going through that little boy's mind as he was being smothered by his own father :( Prayers for this family, especially his other children.

mugsy
06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Just another reason to hate 'roids. They are evil things aren't they. It's too bad the wife and kid had to suffer at his hands. Mike watches that stuff all the time and the prevailing attitude is kind of scary (not to mention offensive)to me. I know it's fake, but, it's so dang violent and so derogatory towards women, it's a little tough, I'm sure, sometimes to separate reality from fantasy.

I hope they are all at peace now. I'm sorry also for their families who now have to mourn on earth.

anna_66
06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I just seen the news of what happened and I just can't believe it...
strangled his wife, smothered his son and hung himself :(
I always liked him, so sad to know he was capable of this.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
The steroid effect even has a nickname: Roid Rage. I think that indicates how common it is.

What does Mike think of this story, Mugsy?

Argranade
06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
This is so sad,

My brother is such a huge wrestler fan,

He did not belive this at first & neither did I, untill I heard it on the news.

Horrible.

mugsy
06-26-2007, 04:49 PM
What does Mike think of this story, Mugsy?

Mike said the thought it was a case of a severely depressed man who was on steroids and lost his mind. He also said it's too bad that he was in a business that glorifies the use of steroids.

RICHARD
06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
A few little tidbits.

Vince Mc Mahon has had some little business problems with steroids and the wrestling biz.

He and Terry "Hulk" Bollea testified in Congress on the abuse of steroids and the charges that VM supplied wrestlers with 'roids.

CB was known for his 'cut throat' motion before pinning an opponent. He'd draw a thumb across his throat then make the move- That 'sign' caught on in the NFL until the commish, Paul Tagliabue put an end to it.

There have been several other suicides by people in the WWF/WWE/WCW
alliances in the last few years.

I believe it was Owen Harte, one of the Harte Brothers wrestling team who fell to his death at a WWE event. Brett Harte, Owen's brother; left the WWE after an event where he "lost" a title in a match he was guaranteed by VM to win.

Back in the 60's to early 80's wrestling was fun to watch.

Too much BS now.

I'd rather watch IFL-UFC fights.

---------

I haven't watched wrestling in years-but I always check it out when I hear about a wrestler's death.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Bret Hart had a bad stroke about 3 years ago...he has slowly regained his health, and does a lot of charity work...attending the events, not performing in them!

He was at an event here in Cochrane a couple of years ago, and I went up to him, shook his hand. Very gentle and approachable fellow, and polite. Is he always like that? Who knows? Perhaps his brother's death and his own health scare had given him a different look on things.

Nope...Olympic wrestling, based on the Greek style, is the only real wrestling around anymore, IMO.

This other steroid-driven parody won't leave until the tickets stop selling, and the tvs are switched off during broadcast times.

Too bad.

sparks19
06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes Owen Harts death was a tragedy. He was performing a stunt where he was supposed to repel from the ceiling and he fell to his death :( Very sad indeed. He was apparently a very good man.

British Bulldog also died a few years ago from a heart attack (no doubt roid induced)

and Yes.... WWE wrestling is very fake and scripted..... but it is still very dangerous. Many a wrestler has become paralyzed or had a very close call from a stunt gone wrong.

Greco Roman wrestling is very real though.... but that is not the style they use in the WWE .... it's all high flying stunts now. WWE is like watching a movie or a sitcom.... it's all scripted (the only parts that are improv are the speaking parts) but none the less it does still take a lot of physical effort.

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 01:16 AM
It's all crazy stuff if ya ask me, including the drugs associated with that sport (would it be classified as SPORT ????) And now this happens....a whole family gone.....I guess like Catty says.....it all will only go away when ticket sales etc etc stop.
Wom

RICHARD
06-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Catty knows GR wrestling? :)

That's 10 points in any book. Got see GR in the '84 Games. That was fun!

-------------

The moves in "pro" rassling are very tough and acrobatic. These guys are athletes..There was a great expose on VM and the biz a few years ago...
That soured me on the spectacle.

The thing that gets me are the "reports" on what happened.
In typical fashion, there were 'roids found, there weren't, it was gunshots or suffocation.

'Roids are too much fun to report on-mental illness?
In my book killing anyone qualifes, drugs or not.

They poor reporting and the supposition muddle the waters.

Either way it's reported, it's too bad.

Glacier
06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Bret Hart had a bad stroke about 3 years ago...he has slowly regained his health, and does a lot of charity work...attending the events, not performing in them!

He was at an event here in Cochrane a couple of years ago, and I went up to him, shook his hand. Very gentle and approachable fellow, and polite. Is he always like that? Who knows? Perhaps his brother's death and his own health scare had given him a different look on things.

In another lifetime I used to train at a gym in Calgary owed by the Hart family. Bret was there quite often. He was always "Bret the Hitman"--friendly and approachable, but always in character! He only let that down around his family. He was still an active wrestling superstar back then.

Owen and I worked out at the same time quite often. He was hysterical! I loved him, not as a wrestler, but as a person! He cracked me up in the gym. I have a couple memories that still make me giggle...one day a teenage boy was in the gym, trying to move as much weight as he could and doing it all wrong. Owen watched him for probably twenty minutes with his head cocked like a curious dog. Finally he went over and asked the kid "just which muscle was he trying to work?", teased him for a few minutes and then showed him how to do it right. That kid is probably still telling people that Owen Hart was his trainer, even if only for a day. Another day when I was unloading a bar, he dragged the big doughhead who had left four hundred pounds on it, back over by his t-shirt and gave him a lecture about showing a little respect for the "lady" and unloading his own weights! BJ's didn't have very many female members! I never unloaded another bar again that wasn't my own.

I miss that gym. It was rundown, full of hardcore body builders, no nice showers or whirlpools, but I've never found another place where i actually wanted to train.

Until 'roids don't mean more money for both wrestlers and bodybuilders, they will always be part of both events.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-27-2007, 04:21 AM
My hubby enjoys watching the so-called wrestling, although it seems to me that they are just shouting matches in silly costumes these days. I timed it once and it was a whole 20 minutes before anything other than shouting took place..........

This latest tragedy is horrific....

what do people think about Vince McThing suddenly declaring he isn't dead after all :eek: how sick is that man???

anna_66
06-27-2007, 07:22 AM
In another lifetime I used to train at a gym in Calgary owed by the Hart family. .
You never cease to amaze me Tamara:D
Very cool!

petslover
06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I feel like I should defend the wrestling business. I have been around the business for 21 years now. (I am 21) My whole family has worked in it.. Just like any other sport or company, wrestling has their weakness too. Let's not blame the entire sport on what happened with this story.

Don't blame the WWE for what Benoit did. It was not Vince McMahon's fault, It was not WWE's fault that this man killed his family and himself.

I think it is a disgrace for a man to kill his family especially his son. There is NO excuse for that. Benoit was tested for drugs in April. According to WWE, He passed the test. It seemed like Benoit had a huge problem. He has been accused of having rages for a long time now.

Vince McMahon did have an explosion that caused him to "die." but everyone watching it could have figured out it was a script. I don't see anything wrong with that. People die on tv shows all the time, but are they really dead? Of course not.

I just feel like the entire "wrestling business" is getting looked down upon now, but that's not right.

I know most of the wrestlers. Most of them are the nicest, most down to earth people you will ever know.

So please don't judge the entire business on what one person did.

elizabethann
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Richard,

I loved wrestling back in the old days myself. Who can never forget Andre the Giant?

This whole story is so sad. I just read that the police found needle marks on the boys arm because the parents were giving him growth hormones? :confused:

sparks19
06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Richard,

I loved wrestling back in the old days myself. Who can never forget Andre the Giant?

This whole story is so sad. I just read that the police found needle marks on the boys arm because the parents were giving him growth hormones? :confused:

Well sometimes hormones are needed for children.... in special cases. i really hope this was one of those cases and they weren't just drugging him.

I remember watching back in the days of Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior. LOL I will never forget that epic match up and watching it with my cousins. LOL Or the Bushwhackers. AH those were the good old days when it was more entertaining. it has really gone downhill since WWE and WCW merged, IMO.

Catty1
06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Except for this article, most have been clear in stating that ABUSE of steroids causes problems. Looks like Chris went off his nut here...I hope they find out what happened...

Excerpts from the article below.

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its website. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE...

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 32 kilometres south of Atlanta. One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage...

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: "We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at."

Benoit - who was born in Montreal and had homes in Edmonton and Atlanta - received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet, according to the Albany County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death."

"The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage," the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

Catty1
06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
One more set of excerpts from CBC online:
Officials said:

* Benoit, 40, killed his 43-year-old wife, Nancy, on Friday night. Her body was found wrapped in a towel in the home office. Her wrists and ankles were bound and a Bible had been placed near her body. The cause of death was ruled as asphyxiation.
* An autopsy suggested that the son, Daniel, was killed on Saturday morning. He was found in his bed, also with a Bible beside his body. His cause of death was also asphyxiation.
* Later Saturday or early Sunday, Benoit hanged himself in the basement weight room, using the cord from his pulley weight set. He did not leave a suicide note.

Meanwhile, court documents have surfaced that show that Benoit's wife requested a restraining order against her husband in 2003, accusing him of threatening her and breaking furniture in their home. She later dropped the request.

Nancy Benoit also filed for divorce that year, saying her three-year marriage was irrevocably broken and marked by "cruel treatment." She later withdrew the complaint.

sparks19
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
What a heart breaking story.

I do not in anyway excuse what he did. It's horrible. But the whole situation is so saddening.

With so many cases of death linked to steroid use (not nessecarily this one but in the past) I just find it hard to believe that the WWE is doing any kind of extensive or even reliable testing for these drugs.

There are many characterisitics to look for in steroid users.... not only emotionally but many physical characteristics are very apparent in those that are using roids and those that aren't. many in the WWE possess these physical characteristics.

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM
I just find it hard to believe that the WWE is doing any kind of extensive or even reliable testing for these drugs.

There are many characterisitics to look for in steroid users.... not only emotionally but many physical characteristics are very apparent in those that are using roids and those that aren't. many in the WWE possess these physical characteristics.

Perhaps there's too many dollars in it for them Sparksy.
Wom

kittycats_delight
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks like Benoit's doc got himself in a whole load of hot water.

http://www.thecitizen.com/node/18319

This doctor was prescribing 10 month supply to anabolic steroids to Benoit ever few weeks for an entire year. :rolleyes:

BC_MoM
07-04-2007, 12:59 PM
*shakes head* What a tragedy. :(:(